Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Inside Fender bonding Strip tip missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Mike H.
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Inside Fender bonding Strip tip missing

So...as Ive gotten further into stripping down the LF fender to isolate the repair I have found more things to deal with. Now I've noticed the LH inside fender bonding stripmissing the tip off it. I'm referring to the end that the bumper reinforcement bracket buts up against. I'm thinking of buying a bonding strip and using its forward tip. Grind down the area inside to fresh material and using VPA to adhere it? I would appreciate other suggestions or thought from those with more experience.
Thanks, Mike

Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not knowing how much skill you have in laminating...or if you want to try to make this section yourself.

I know I would make it on my own and not buy a bonding strip JUST for the end.

I can help you in this if you want to save the money on buying a bonding strip IF you have the mat and resin on hand and WANT to try this.

Need to know what year your car is. Please try to remember to always state the year model of the car. I can tell it is at least a 1970-1972. And from the looks of it the bonding strip and top hood surround are not SMC...but I can not tell by the camera flash if the lower fender is also not SMC. This makes a difference if VPA can be used as a bonding adhesive or not. Obviously the VPA can be used on your a car as a body filler.

DUB

DUB

Quick Reply: Inside Fender bonding Strip tip missing