Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Vette Panel not sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 PM
FStanley
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette Panel not sticking

I have a SMC header I am filling low spots with Evercoat Vette Panel.

I have some problems having it sticking to the original SMC.

I cleaned the original SMC with soap and water first, then some wax and grease remover.. let dry over night.

Sanded down with 80 grit sandpaper. Blew off with 150lbs clean air.

applied Vette Panel and let dry. Temps in the 70s. low humidity.

While sanding it to smooth it out with 150 grit, the vette panel came off in small chunks. depth of the Vette Panel is about 1/32 In.

What??

should it be rougher then 80 grit? should I use an adhesion promoter? or ?

I mixed the Vette panel thoroughly in the can as it seems it separated somewhat, is this normal? This is before additing hardener. I mix with harderner for at least 1 min.

does this stuff get too old or? never be frozen, I live in CA. I'm stumped why it's not sticking

Fred

Old 09-20-2018, 07:27 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

While I would kill to have your problem , there is an expiry date for that stuff . Guys on this forum all say the same thing , don't use it if its old .
Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

First of I do not wash a raw SMC panel with soap and water...just adding stuff to it that should not be there.

Also wiping it with wax adn grease remover is something I never do on raw SMC. Once again..you are adding a product that can now put a layer of itself on or IN the SMC that can effect the bond. REGARDLESS if you wipe it off. some of it can migrate into the structure of the SMC ion the molecular level and linger there. Reason I say this is because I have been bit by this which is why I do not EVER use wax and grease remover on bare fiberglass panels. I use it on bare steel, rigid plastics if required or a primed surface.

80 works for me all the time and it never comes off in chunks. Not seeing how well you are sanding the surface or when you are blowing it off if you compressed air is putting water onto the panel...so it is hard to tell.

Blowing the panel with that high of an air pressure can allow water from the compressor to get put into your sanded area. No need to blow it of with that high of an air pressure....lower air pressure always seem to work for mer...or at least has for decades.

And it also depend s WHEN you are going in and sanding on the Vette Panel Adhesive. I can tell you that if I go in too quickly..I can actually peel it right off the panel due to I DID NOT allow it to set up enough and BITE into my sanded panel. So it may be just technique and you not waiting along enough. And all of that depends on how much hardener you sue for the amount you mixed up.

NO adhesion promoter is needed...juts a good prep being that of a good sanded surface so it can bite into it. fresh sheet of 80 grit should do it as long as you do sand the surface you want to apply it to well.

DUB
Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

How did you mix it
if you over mixed it with hardener - I can see this happening or if you did not let it sit until cured
I have never had a problem with VPA
Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 PM
FStanley
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the help.

Oh crap it looks like O'Reiily sold me a way old can... like 2012. per the code this is about a year ago so my bad,..

new stuff is working

Again thanks for all the help

Fred
Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 AM
DUB
Race Director

Yeah, I would say that was way out of date for it being good.

GLAD that your new can of VPA is working.

DUB
Old 11-06-2018, 02:50 PM
FStanley
Heel & Toe

Default new new is best

doing more and more vette panel

Got a can with 2018 Date code, off Amazon no less.

WOW what a difference, even over stuff just a year old!!!

very smooth, great adhesion, no clumps, NO PINHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it ain't less the 6 months old don't buy it TRUST ME!!

Thanks for help DUB!!!

Fred
Old 11-06-2018, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am glad you got a good can....and ...it reinforces how good this Vette Panel Adhesive is IF you have good product.,

I am glad it is working for you now. Because I was concerned why it was not working for you when you started this thread.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Panel not sticking

Quick Reply: Vette Panel not sticking