Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

85 corvette - ??? - paint stripper

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Default 85 corvette - ??? - paint stripper

the car in subject -- 85 corvette - currently, one full re-paint over original BC/CC and with some panel touch-up over the years. I estimate I could have as many as four (4) layers over some panels. I don't have any significant body damage other than a few, minor, stress cracks in, what appears to be, the paint finish.

because of the unknown and multi-paint layers, I would like to chemically strip down to bare "SMC" for a full repaint (that is, all non-polyurethane panels/parts). I have used "captain lee's" in the past, but it appears they are out of business. the only option i'm seeing is "klean-strip, aircraft stripper for fiberglass." question - has anyone used this on a C4's original finish. for some reason i'm thinking the 85's original finish is dupont's imron and chemical strippers are no match this stuff - ???

so, has anyone chemically strip an early C4, or should I take another approach, or just take a D-A to this thing? another issue i'm looking at is (maybe) a full color change, but either way, I will be removing all pieces/parts, stripping doors, weather stripping, etc.. time and money are not an issue.

DUB seems to be the resident guru here - i'm looking for some "actual, hands-on" feedback, in particular on the subject of chemical strippers. other comments welcome.

Last edited by Joe C; 09-21-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...Chemical stripper can work in many cases but some of the current paints will even cause the Aircraft remover I use that is NOT for fiberglass has a hard time.

Getting the paint off is one thing but it is the primer under it that can be a bear to get off even when using the Aircraft stripper.

Sometimes I sand off what I can then switch to the chemical stripper an d TEST it and see if it is going to do anything or not.

Keep in mind I charge for my time so me waiting for along time for the chemical to work sometimes is not the method if I can sand it down and then block it is actually faster....beaks time is a factor in what I do.

Using razor blades is something I also use if it will allow me to strip layers of paint off because I am not making dust or wasting chemical...so it all depends on what the paint will let me do.

IF you use chemical. Put tape over any cracks and deal with that area later.

DUB

Quick Reply: 85 corvette - ??? - paint stripper