Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Front end paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front end paint chips

hello, Justin bought a lemans blue 06 vette! Love the car but has a few paint chips on front bumper and hood. Do you recommend taking it somewhere or doing it myself? I’m OCD and don’t mind the chip it’s just the white color is noticible. Please help!!! Lol I’m in Detroit area. Anyone know of any good places that won’t break the bank?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not know of a shop in your area to recommend.

As for you doing it yourself....it all depends on how you want the outcome to look.

Cleaning these areas well and CAREFULLY using touch up brush and touching them up yourself is possible.

As for sanding the areas and blending the paint and clearcoating the bumper and hood all depends if you have the capabilities to do that and the equipment and place to do that successfully.

As for if a shop will 'break the bank' or not all depends on if you are looking for quality work. Quality works takes time.... and time is money.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Goggle "Dr Colorchip". This may be exactly what you need. It works great on small chips.

Tom
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

my 2-cents -- buy one of these - Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loew-Cornell-Fine-Line-Painting-Pen/123299963015?epid=691209753&hash=item1cb 5402087:g:eaQAAOSwGnxba5LF , and watch this video --

you should be able to get touchup paint from the dealer, or from the paint code, from any specialty supplier. I watched a detail guy demonstrate this at a corvette show about 15 years ago - took me awhile to find the painting pen, but I've had my best success with this method.

Last edited by Joe C; 10-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:03 AM
DUB
Race Director

Using this pen or even a two or three hair paint brush is do- able on solid colors. Which this video showed then doing it on a solid color car.

But when applying a metallic or pearl color the dynamic changes and when touching up even the smallest of chips. The touch up paint..... even if it is a exact match can cause for it to go darker due to the metallics and pearls are not being atomized or dispersed as if it where shot out of a paint gun....and that is when thinning the paint and applying it very thin so the metallic/pearls can lay out is how I do it.

Touching up a solid colors is basically a no-brainer.....metallic/pearl colors or even a tri-stage color is something COMPLETELY different. IF the person is looking fro a touch up that can not be easily detected.

DUB
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Ok so I ended up buying and using the dr color chip. Did a decent job. Still not perfect but a lot better than what it was. Question is now how long can I wait to clay bar, then wax the car? Thanks
Old 10-14-2018, 11:29 AM
DUB
Race Director

It depends on how thick you applied it and what your current air temperatures are at.

In a few days should be fine but I do not know how thick of a blob you applied if you did that at all.

This is when you apply the same amount of paint you used on your car and put it on something else and TEST that panel first before you go to your car. If it works there...then it should obviously work on your car that has dried longer....assuming you do not take your test panel and put it in the sun if your car is stuck in a cold garage.

DUB
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Yeah it’s in my garage when I did the Colorchip. Didn’t really blow it on more of a dabbing motion. Not real thick.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Using this pen or even a two or three hair paint brush is do- able on solid colors. Which this video showed then doing it on a solid color car.

But when applying a metallic or pearl color the dynamic changes and when touching up even the smallest of chips. The touch up paint..... even if it is a exact match can cause for it to go darker due to the metallics and pearls are not being atomized or dispersed as if it where shot out of a paint gun....and that is when thinning the paint and applying it very thin so the metallic/pearls can lay out is how I do it.

Touching up a solid colors is basically a no-brainer.....metallic/pearl colors or even a tri-stage color is something COMPLETELY different. IF the person is looking fro a touch up that can not be easily detected.

DUB
you are absolutely right, solid colors are a bit easier than metallic, pearls, or tri-coats, but whatever method used, it depends on many factors. you have to remember, the paint pen is just a tool for applying the paint - it does not guarantee results. you will have more control using the pen than using a toothpick, that funky brush supplied with the touch-up paint, paper matchsticks, or even fine artist brushes. trust me, over the last 50 years, I've tried them all. the best anyone will do is "barely noticeable" at an arms length, which is the end goal. I've done metallic with the paint pen, with very acceptable results. I had a stone chip on the door of the silver metallic, in my two-tone 85, that was close to 1/4" diameter, and down to the factory primer. it took days, building the paint thickness in thin layers, but once leveled, color sanded, and polished, unless I point it out to you, barely noticeable. solid, metallic, base/clear, tri-coat, or whatever, IMO, there is no way in hell to make a chip completely disappear.

Get notified of new replies

To Front end paint chips

Quick Reply: Front end paint chips