Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What is the best way to strip metal lower rocker mouldings

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:18 PM
82corvettece66
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the best way to strip metal lower rocker mouldings

hi what is the best way to strip the paint off of the metal lower rocker moldings under the doors on an 1982 corvette. And also the best way to sand and paint them. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:01 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Chemical stripper can be used then an etch primer, conversion coating or adhesion promoter like "BULLDOG' and then paint. OR....they can be media blasted CARFULY and then cleaned and then the same.....an etch primer, conversion coating or an adhesion promoter and then paint.

Some paints are 'direct to metal' and may not need an etch primer or adhesion promoter.

IF you plan on media blasting adn depending on what type of media you use. I use aluminum oxide about a 60 grit and I hold my gun away form the surface so I am getting the surface clean of paint and making it look 'frosted' instead of being right up on it and really pitting the surface and possibly warping the rocker panel also due to the process and the air pressure being used to do this. I have glass beads but I do not use them due to I am looking for a slight rough texture in the aluminum which is why I look to get it slightly rough so the applied products have slight bit better mechanical adhesion to it.

Sometimes good old automotive grade lacquer thinner will work if you wet out a paper towel and lay it on it and let it sit for a little bit. The paint may just lift right off.

DUB
Old 12-01-2018, 05:23 PM
82corvettece66
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you DUB. I appreciate all of your information and advice
The following users liked this post:
DUB (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director