Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

tint

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:46 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

Default tint

I need a little advice concerning matching paint.I went to an automotive paint supplier with my t-top so they could match the color as I want to do a little touch up.Their camera could only come up with a no#3 match which they said was not close enough so they eye balled it and decided to mix up original lemans blue(every lemans blue vette I've seen over the years is lighter than my vette.When they showed me their mix and it looked very good so I brought it and tried it.Well it's light,even with some clear over it.I just brushed it in an inconspicuous spot.I know they make tint for paint but not sure what I should ask for and I don't want to bug the crap out of them as they took their time explaining things to me.thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me on matter. Mike
Old 12-22-2018, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This LeMans blue is a metallic paint....and beign a metallic paint it needs to be shot in order for you to see what toner or pigment is needed to change the color to match the car better. Simply looking at it in the can does not work NOR does taking some paint out and putting on a piece of paper.....that is NOT the same as when you atomize the paint to apply it.....which lightens it.

NOW....there are things that you can do to metallic paint that can light it or darken it WITHOUT needing any added pigments. Here are few things that you can change....The grade of reducer or thinner is changed.,,,the amount of paint you apply, flash times, air pressure and other things can alter the color.

DUB
Old 12-22-2018, 08:44 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
This LeMans blue is a metallic paint....and beign a metallic paint it needs to be shot in order for you to see what toner or pigment is needed to change the color to match the car better. Simply looking at it in the can does not work NOR does taking some paint out and putting on a piece of paper.....that is NOT the same as when you atomize the paint to apply it.....which lightens it.

NOW....there are things that you can do to metallic paint that can light it or darken it WITHOUT needing any added pigments. Here are few things that you can change....The grade of reducer or thinner is changed.,,,the amount of paint you apply, flash times, air pressure and other things can alter the color.

DUB
thank you for your response,to darken it should I use a reducer that lenghtens drying time or shorten drying time,I have a hvlp gun,less pressure?what other things? Is there a good u-tube video that you could recommend? Once again thanks for the help. mike
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Maybe this can help. I took a paint matching class over 20 years and it helped me greatly. This chart for METALLICS is out of the manual I still possess and reference at times.

By taking the mixed paint and performing some or all of these methods..it can change the color so it is possible that the color is correct but the technique needs to be changed BEFORE you go and start to throw in more pigments/toners

LIGHTER <<<<<<<<<<<METHOD>>>>>>>>>>DARKER
over thin.......................... thinning ratio ..............under thin
fast.................................. thinner type ................slow
more holes...................... air cap......................... less holes
increase........................... flash off time............... decrease
decrease.......................... paint feed.................... increase
increase............................ air pressure................ decrease
open up............................ fan width......................close down
further away...................... gun distance............... closer
faster................................. gun speed................... slower

You can look at this entire thread if you want out or go toe POST #48 where the paint matching info begins. Yes...it is s solid orange paint but it still shows how test panels were shot and knowing t what the different colored toners that made up that color would do when added to the paint to get it to a very acceptable butt-match. And as you may read....all I had to go off of was the fuel door for matching the paint.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597134804

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
929nitro (12-26-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 12:29 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

thank you ,now I don't have to go searching around u-tube for an hour or so. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To tint

Quick Reply: tint