Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

adding adhesive on bonding strip

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:01 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default adding adhesive on bonding strip

I have two horizontal hairline cracks on my 65 just above the taillights just at the point of where it starts up on top of the rear deck. I am wondering if I should add adhesive on the back inside on the bonding strip. If so what adhesive should I use in this spot. Sorry I can't get any pictures posted
Thanks in advance

Last edited by blue max; 01-13-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Without a photo, I am going to guess that either it is a bad repair showing through or it is the adhesive used at the factory to bond the body parts together which is known to show as a crack with time when it fails. To repair the crack will require grinding out the crack and re-glassing the area with polyester resin and mat glass, sanding, applying Vette Panel Adhesive as a filler, sand again and prime and paint the repaired area. Other option is to live with it.
The following users liked this post:
blue max (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:22 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Photos are needed but seeing how that is not possible. It all depends on where these hair line cracks area located.

Because if it is at the top or bottom edge of the panel in the seam where the panels meet where the bonding strip is under it. It would need to be ground down and apply more VPA on it and no need for laminating in mat and resin.

I see these fine cracks and they are about 99.9% NOT a structural defect. It is only the edge of the panel thickness causing an issue with the aged adhesive finally letting loose a little bit and allowing the hairline crack to show up.

Now if the cracks are NOT where the bonding strip or seam is...then it is hard to say due to not being able to see it ...So fix it as you see fit or laminate it up.

I feel that applying anything on the backside is a waste of time and effort and is not going to provide any added strength to an area that I am sure is quite rigid currently. Because I bet...IF you press on the area of these hair line cracks...they do not get bigger or the panel moves much at all....if any at all.. Which tells me it is NOT needed anything behind it and it is like I just mentioned. Keep in mind I am making comments blind here due to no photos. So I cannot be held accountable for what I just wrote. But I am fairly certain I am correct.

I would use Vette Panel Adhesive also...like Dave mentioned for this repair. For such a small area ....you will buy a quart and it is not cheap. Not saying that you are cheap...but for such a small area your investment of materials can be quite high.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
blue max (01-14-2019), Jrs66vette (01-14-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To adding adhesive on bonding strip

Quick Reply: adding adhesive on bonding strip