Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Lesson learned....don't back into a Maserati bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:18 AM
DFOR
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Lesson learned....don't back into a Maserati bumper

Hope it's alright to post this here. I backed into a bumper of a Maserati with my trailer hitch. It's real small. I was optimistically hoping not to see any damage till I put my glasses on. It's the plastic type bumper.

Tried to reach behind to see if it may pop out. Please tell me that the dentless repair type service can get to pop back out. It looks creased in the picture, but I don't think it is. The lady is going to bring it to her auto body shop tomorror. Thanks for any of your thoughts.

Last edited by DFOR; 04-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:29 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

there goes $10,000
Old 04-29-2019, 08:36 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Knowing that t his bumper is more than likely not painted metal.....it can be removed and from what I can see in the photo...a heat gun can be used and heat up the urethane and form it basically back into shape with no minimal damage to it IF....the person using the heat gun has a clue on how to do it. It can be repaired to the point where it may not even need to be painted. I have repaired so many urethane covers with slight impressions in them much like this that when repaired....you can not tell. Just as long as the paint has not cracked.

I can say that it does not need a new bumper unless the person demands a new one due to the year model....or if the person wants to get very particular and demand one.

Regardless of that...once the insurance company gets involved....if they do...the car is now in the system showing it has been damaged and the owner can then try to get money for that also for depreciation of value.....not knowing how the rules and such are in your area.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
DFOR (04-30-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson learned....don't back into a Maserati bumper

Quick Reply: Lesson learned....don't back into a Maserati bumper