All things equal: MS3 vs BTR stage 3? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

All things equal: MS3 vs BTR stage 3?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:50 PM
  #21  
EVLGTO
CF Senior Member
 
EVLGTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 697
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I went with a smaller cam, because I've been down the cammed road quite a few times with different LS cars. My cam is the Trickflow/Jegs 228/230 .585/.585 112 lsa and dual spring kit from Scoggin Dickey. It's getting tuned as I type this, I'll put up numbers once its done. 2000 FRC, stock 853 heads,1 3/4 LT headers, corsa xpipe, C5Z TI exhaust w/bypass mod, stock cats, ziptie mod with K&N filter, LS6 intake. I'm predicting about 380whp. Others are saying less, some more.

Last edited by EVLGTO; 11-13-2018 at 08:51 PM.
EVLGTO is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 PM
  #22  
billymz28
CF Senior Member
 
billymz28's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Tulsa ok
Posts: 168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the btr stage 2 with PRC 2.5 heads and fast 102mm ported by mamo and put 446 down on a dynomite dyno meter basically reads like a mustang dyno. Put 390 with cam and ls6 intake only with crappy tune

Last edited by billymz28; 11-13-2018 at 11:24 PM.
billymz28 is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:28 PM
  #23  
EVLGTO
CF Senior Member
 
EVLGTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 697
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by billymz28 View Post
I have the btr stage 2 with PRC 2.5 heads and fast 102mm ported by mamo and put 446 down on a dynomite dyno meter basically reads like a mustang dyno. Put 390 with cam and ls6 intake only with crappy tune
Wow, both impressive.
EVLGTO is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 AM
  #24  
turabo87
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 89
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EVLGTO View Post
I went with a smaller cam, because I've been down the cammed road quite a few times with different LS cars. My cam is the Trickflow/Jegs 228/230 .585/.585 112 lsa and dual spring kit from Scoggin Dickey. It's getting tuned as I type this, I'll put up numbers once its done. 2000 FRC, stock 853 heads,1 3/4 LT headers, corsa xpipe, C5Z TI exhaust w/bypass mod, stock cats, ziptie mod with K&N filter, LS6 intake. I'm predicting about 380whp. Others are saying less, some more.
I'm really interested in your results, not just dyno results but your drivability and overall driving review once you're done. Reason being I might stay with the stock 853 heads (if they are in fact 853 heads that I have). I've yet to check my heads full casting number beneath the valve covers.
turabo87 is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM
  #25  
EVLGTO
CF Senior Member
 
EVLGTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 697
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turabo87 View Post
I'm really interested in your results, not just dyno results but your drivability and overall driving review once you're done. Reason being I might stay with the stock 853 heads (if they are in fact 853 heads that I have). I've yet to check my heads full casting number beneath the valve covers.
Well, my results were interesting. 363whp/365wtq. The car pulls with a very flat torque curve and feels fast as heck. I think my buddy's dyno reads low, because it feels faster than my 06 law cammed gto that put down 429whp and 392wtq. The vette feels like a rocket. Tons of torque everywhere and you can feel it pull you in the seat way harder than when it was stock. Drivability is awesome, no bucking or surging and idle sounds like it has a nice cam.
EVLGTO is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to EVLGTO For This Useful Post:
turabo87 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:46 AM
  #26  
billymz28
CF Senior Member
 
billymz28's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Tulsa ok
Posts: 168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turabo87 View Post
I'm really interested in your results, not just dyno results but your drivability and overall driving review once you're done. Reason being I might stay with the stock 853 heads (if they are in fact 853 heads that I have). I've yet to check my heads full casting number beneath the valve covers.
The drive ability is all in your tuner. My tuner told me anything under stage 3 is easy to make drive like stock and I can say my car drives like stock way better than my last tuner when my car was cam only. He said stage 3 and up is were the driveability can suffer. When he first turned it we didn't get to finish had a knock sound so decided to abort it the tuning session. Thankfully knock was just exhaust leak. It bucked a little on hot starts but went back to finish my drivability tune and it is perfect now. Prevatt automotive did my tune and my buddy's car and highly recommend him. Spent allday tuning my car. Only complaint with my tuner he kept bashing the previous tuner which a little unprofessional in my book just let your tune do the talking.
billymz28 is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM
  #27  
turabo87
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 89
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EVLGTO View Post
Well, my results were interesting. 363whp/365wtq. The car pulls with a very flat torque curve and feels fast as heck. I think my buddy's dyno reads low, because it feels faster than my 06 law cammed gto that put down 429whp and 392wtq. The vette feels like a rocket. Tons of torque everywhere and you can feel it pull you in the seat way harder than when it was stock. Drivability is awesome, no bucking or surging and idle sounds like it has a nice cam.
Do you have a graph? If not, what RPM's did you peak torque and peak power at? Also, what's your new rev limiter RPM?
turabo87 is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM
  #28  
EVLGTO
CF Senior Member
 
EVLGTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 697
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turabo87 View Post
Do you have a graph? If not, what RPM's did you peak torque and peak power at? Also, what's your new rev limiter RPM?

Shift points are same as stock. The heads are keeping this engine from hitting peak. But I like torque over peak any day.
EVLGTO is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 PM
  #29  
turabo87
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 89
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I think I might have to change the title of my thread to All Things Equal: JEGS .585/.585,228/230 vs. BTR Stage II cam. Keeping stock clutch, stock heads is a major plus for me and with plenty of NA torque I'll be a happy camper.
turabo87 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:41 PM
  #30  
EVLGTO
CF Senior Member
 
EVLGTO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 697
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turabo87 View Post
I think I might have to change the title of my thread to All Things Equal: JEGS .585/.585,228/230 vs. BTR Stage II cam. Keeping stock clutch, stock heads is a major plus for me and with plenty of NA torque I'll be a happy camper.
This was a big concern for me as well, the clutch! I have beat on it these past days and have had no issues.
EVLGTO is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM
  #31  
turabo87
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 89
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99blkfrc99 View Post
Drivers side middle by the fuel injectors. Reason I ask if you have ever had the intake off is they might be ported already.
Stock LS1 intake manifold (PN 12563333). Just checked last night. I'm thinking that maybe for that year, some heads didn't have the casting # on that corner of the passenger side cyl head. I haven't had time to check beneath the valve cover for the full casting #, but if I were to bet, I bet no work has been done to this before.

UPDATE: I checked beneath the valve covers and I definitely have the stock 853 heads.

Last edited by turabo87; 11-19-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Update
turabo87 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: