Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

Why is every camera a hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 01:23 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Why is every camera a hybrid?

Just a thought experiment, but why does every camera have to be a hybrid nowadays? I would love a photography only camera that may be focused more on my needs than having all these extra features that I don’t. It would give me more of what I want at a more reasonable price and excel at what my needs are.

personally I would love something with the following specs:
30fps
full frame
latest and best autofocus
45ish mp
no video functions
$2500ish price

then if and when i need video i can buy a camera that is specific to video only. They can still sell hybrids for those who want it, but I would love a photography only camera that has high specs at a reasonable price.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:38 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,087 Likes on 909 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
Just a thought experiment, but why does every camera have to be a hybrid nowadays? I would love a photography only camera that may be focused more on my needs than having all these extra features that I don’t. It would give me more of what I want at a more reasonable price and excel at what my needs are.

personally I would love something with the following specs:
30fps
full frame
latest and best autofocus
45ish mp
no video functions
$2500ish price

then if and when i need video i can buy a camera that is specific to video only. They can still sell hybrids for those who want it, but I would love a photography only camera that has high specs at a reasonable price.
I am not into videography at all...I am just not a huge fan or that type of media. So to that point I am 100% with you. In fact if was driving me crazy when they released the Canon R5 (which is an amazing camera) but the feature they were touting the most was the 8K video recording. I could not possibly care any less myself....but....I know why the do it. The cost of putting in the video is just mostly software at this point and time so it is very inexpensive for then to just "slap on" some video features for people that may someday want/use this technology. Several manufactures make camera that compete with the R5 and I think just the way they are marketing them as a swiss army knife where they really do everything extremely well is beneficial to sales. For example if I am a wedding photographer I could see the advantage of having (2) identical bodies with (2) different lenses with one running the video and the other for stills. Then in a flick of a switch vica versa have the camera you are using video on do photos and photo camera do video. This would be quick and efficient way to getting a lot of range and not having to switch lenses just rather the setting on the camera body.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:41 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
I am not into videography at all...I am just not a huge fan or that type of media. So to that point I am 100% with you. In fact if was driving me crazy when they released the Canon R5 (which is an amazing camera) but the feature they were touting the most was the 8K video recording. I could not possibly care any less myself....but....I know why the do it. The cost of putting in the video is just mostly software at this point and time so it is very inexpensive for then to just "slap on" some video features for people that may someday want/use this technology. Several manufactures make camera that compete with the R5 and I think just the way they are marketing them as a swiss army knife where they really do everything extremely well is beneficial to sales. For example if I am a wedding photographer I could see the advantage of having (2) identical bodies with (2) different lenses with one running the video and the other for stills. Then in a flick of a switch vica versa have the camera you are using video on do photos and photo camera do video. This would be quick and efficient way to getting a lot of range and not having to switch lenses just rather the setting on the camera body.

i get it, i do but i can dream right. Imagine having a fast moving objects camera at $2500 without compromising either resolution, frame rate or autofocus?

again just a thought…

i did hear a rumor that sony might try purchased features in the camera, but i cant see them lowering thbase price just charging you more for added features that just used to come with firmware updates.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:47 PM
shenango
Racer

Received 379 Likes on 145 Posts

I have always wondered the same thing. To me, the video on my R6 is a toy to play with when I am bored. Leave the video off and give me better focus tracking or better resolution. Heck, with this R6 I would trade video for better battery life.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, the digital camera market is driven by people that want it all. If the big 3 could make buckets of money with a still only camera they would be doing it.
In reality the camera industry is shaped by the soccer mom or Little League dad. Birthday parties, Christmas morning, family reunions, summer vacations graduations, etc. These are the people and events that drive the imaging industry and they want video in their still camera. We will never compete with that.
Thanks for reading, Jerry
Old 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,008 Posts

My $265 Nikon D3 serves me well.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:17 PM
Lakelander
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 71 Posts

Even though from 2020 here's an article that speaks to the topic:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/94...p-adding-video
Old 12-31-2023, 04:45 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lakelander
Even though from 2020 here's an article that speaks to the topic:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/94...p-adding-video
interesting read.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is every camera a hybrid?

Quick Reply: Why is every camera a hybrid?