Sponsored by:

'72 Phase 2: advice in 4 areas please

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:58 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts
Default '72 Phase 2: advice in 4 areas please

Hi, I've appreciated the help this forum has provided when we decided to add a chromie last year. It's a '72 that has great bones, very solid. My wife didn't want to travel very far in it until she knew that it was 'gone thru', so I've completed what I call Phase 1: complete brakes, lines, hoses; most of the suspension has been replaced with new parts; etc. It runs and drives really nice.

So now I'm fixing a few things that need doing before I decide what Phase 3 is (I've already purchased everything I need to redo the interior, etc. No end to it really, but it's fun.)

I could really use some help on a couple of items - steering me in the direction of where I can find solutions. I'm handy, have a lift and lots of tools, etc.

* Tach doesn't work. Where can I find a wiring diagram and/or advice on what to look for?

* Windshield wipers don't work - cover doesn't come up, etc. I know there must be some good links - just appreciate any help, advice, links, etc.

* There is a bit of 'play' in the steering (PS). It appears to be in the ps box itself. I've replaced the ball joints, pitman, tie rods, ps pump, ps ram, lines, etc., etc. and when I move the steering wheel it seems that the culprit is the box. Are new or rebuilt ps boxes available? If so, recommendations?

Thanks very much for your help. There are some awesome people on this forum that really pitch in to help others. Paul
Old 06-23-2017, 02:11 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
* There is a bit of 'play' in the steering (PS). It appears to be in the ps box itself. I've replaced the ball joints, pitman, tie rods, ps pump, ps ram, lines, etc., etc. and when I move the steering wheel it seems that the culprit is the box. Are new or rebuilt ps boxes available? If so, recommendations?
This is something I need to work out on my 69 also.
You may be able to "tighten" your steering box up a bit with an adjustment. Some instructions here. See Jim Shea's steering papers.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-box-lash.html

Another option is swapping out the stock box for a Borgeson prepped unit. Search for "borgeson conversion".
The following users liked this post:
Hopper12 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I think maybe your car should have a cable drive tach?
I like my Borgeson box a lot.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Hopper12
...Tach doesn't work. Where can I find a wiring diagram and/or advice on what to look for?...
Stock tachs were mechanical. Start with the drive cable and coupler.

...Windshield wipers don't work - cover doesn't come up, etc....
Opening and closing the door is vacuum. Wipers on/off is electrical.

...There is a bit of 'play' in the steering...
Check the lash.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-23-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Hopper12 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
Perhaps for the tachometer you can begin by checking that the cable is connected at both the rear of the tachometer housing and at the distributor housing.
If both are connected then you can unscrew the cable connector at the distributor and check the condition of the cable end in the cable sheath. (it should be square, not rounded off).
You can hook the cable to an electric drill to see if the drill will spin the cable enough to register on the tachometer face. If it doesn't it's a gauge problem.
If the tach needle responds it's likely a tach drive problem. There's a gear in the distributor body that needs to be checked. Do you have a Chassis Service Manual to off you some guidance on doing this?
Regards,
Alan

This is the rear of the tachometer housing. The cable is held in place at the center connection by a spring clip. Be certain the cable is firmly attached.

This is the knurled connector which must be unloosened to pull the tachometer cable free of the distributor body.
Hopper12 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

The slop in your steering may be a worn "rag joint" or steering column coupling. Lou.
Hopper12 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:51 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
The windshield wiper motor won't normally start until the wiper door is fully open.
With engine running:
First, check the vacuum override switch on the right of center below the steering column. Pull the black stalk down; the door should open. If it doesn't there's a vacuum problem. Also make sure the center **** is turned to the right , clockwise.
Next remove the 2 large hose (red and green stripe) from the wiper door vacuum actuator. Manually lift the door fully open. Try the wiper switch. If the wipers start you just have a vacuum problem if they don't you have both a vacuum and electrical problem.
Some of the parts of the wiper system are just part of the vacuum system and some are just part of the electrical system. But a couple are part of both.
You need to do the tests to have some idea of what you're looking for.
Regards,
Alan

Turn the center **** and pull stalk to it's right.

Remove hoses from front and rear of actuator before manually opening wiper door fully.
Hopper12 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi H,
Perhaps for the tachometer you can begin by checking that the cable is connected at both the rear of the tachometer housing and at the distributor housing.
If both are connected then you can unscrew the cable connector at the distributor and check the condition of the cable end in the cable sheath. (it should be square, not rounded off).
You can hook the cable to an electric drill to see if the drill will spin the cable enough to register on the tachometer face. If it doesn't it's a gauge problem.
If the tach needle responds it's likely a tach drive problem. There's a gear in the distributor body that needs to be checked. Do you have a Chassis Service Manual to off you some guidance on doing this?
Regards,
Alan
This may also be a broken cable.
Hopper12 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

All: I really appreciate your kind responses, ideas, pictures, etc. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see what I can find. I feel a bit dumb that I didn't realize this was a gear drive tach - only one of those I've had was on a '55 Tbird.

Any additional ideas are certainly appreciated. Thanks again, Paul
Old 06-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Updates:

* Thanks to your good advice, after two 1/8 turn adjustments to the steering box the play in the steering is gone.

* Checked the wipers per Alan's suggestions (thank you for the great pics too). Pulling down on the right hand stalk didn't do anything (left hand worked the headlights no problem). I unhooked the 2 vacuum hoses and manually lifted the wiper door. It was very hard to raise or lower, but got easier after a few times doing it manually. The wipers did work with the door up, so now I get to find the vacuum issue. I'm also thinking the wiper door should manually operate fairly easily? I'll remove the cowl vent and see what's going on there. Any ideas here, or links that I can go to?

My two little granddaughters helped me with the steering box and wiper door. I'll check the tach later - time to play with them. They both got into the chromie with me and 'drove me to Disneyland' an hour ago.

Thanks again for all of your help. Paul
Metalhead140 (06-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To '72 Phase 2: advice in 4 areas please

Quick Reply: '72 Phase 2: advice in 4 areas please