Sponsored by:

'71 Saddle Interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default '71 Saddle Interior

OK, I'm quickly getting to the point where I can start reinstalling my interior. I've got some redyeing to do to interior pieces so I'm curious about a '71 Saddle interior. Was there a light saddle and dark saddle? Looking at the Vendors websites there appears there was? Trim code on my car is 417. Is this light saddle? For that trim code, what SEM # do I need to order? It appears based on the feedback on the site that's the best product?

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Code 417 is Saddle vinyl interior; 420 is Saddle leather interior. As I remember, the leather interior was somewhat darker than the vinyl Saddle color. You might use Google to query: "1971 Corvette interior images". There should be lots of images for Saddle interior color; and you can tell which is leather/vinyl by the design of the seat cover. This is the webpage for the one that looks closest to what I remember for '71 vinyl Saddle color: http://www.lt-1.com/my-1971-corvette/#

There may be some auto body paint supply stores that can mix vinyl dye to the interior color code...but most of them have dumped the old interior code books due to low level of need for these old cars. If you have an interior piece with the color you wish to match, they can mix it to match that part. Otherwise, you will have to come up with some other color sample that they can match to.

I seriously doubt that you can find ANY spray can dye that will be a good match to that specific color.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-22-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:44 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

My 71 is also a leather saddle interior.

The color is listed as Saddle.
The code 417 is VINYL and the code 420 is LEATHER.

From the factory the interior parts did not match perfectly. My aunt had a car with the VINYL interior. She was an artist and did very good quality work and illustrations. I always remember her complaining the interior parts did not match.

When I got my car some of the original panels were 1 to 2 shades off on the interior sides which were not exposed to the sun. The other sides were well lets just say in the same color range.

I cleaned and scrubbed the panels with dawn dishwashing detergent and prepped them.

I used INTERIOR DYE from RICKS CORVETTE which is from CORVETTE AMERICA. It matched most of the original panels. So far after a year and a half the interior still looks good.

Light coats with some drying time works best. I did all my work during the summer and fall outdoors with no issue. The key is to let it dry thoroughly for a few hours. I usually let them dry 12+ hours. (overnight)

If I was planning on keeping the interior forever I would purchase the QUART and spray the parts.

I used 3 cans and covered most of the interior , including changing the roof panels from red to saddle.

Since I have the leather interior the seats are leather, all the rest is vinyl. I did not do the seats, but did the backs as they were black plastic.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-22-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: hate auto spell
Old 01-22-2018, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There is only one 'SADDLE' interior offered. So regardless if it is leather or vinyl...only one color is used.

http://www.vettefacts.com/C3/1971.aspx

Call SEM and talk with them or get a can or two or buy a quart and spray it out of a paint gun.

PPG should still have this color in its color library. Call 1800-647-6050 and get to the color library and see if the formula is still available...then if you have a auto paint store that sells PPG in your area...call and see if they have the correct system for you to use...if you care to go that wrote.

DUB
Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I ordered a set of '72 DARK saddle seat covers in the leather design NOT the plastic mesh looking layout..... and had a set on there for some 20 years or better.....BUT the new recent ones did not match, about a shade too light.....so the driver seat is a shade too light, and the pass seat is basically not used so.....

NOT happy.....so how to spray die the damn thing and get hell OVER it....

I used some vinyl dye spray on my dash many many years ago....but it's just a dash, so not a wear surface....been fine....trick is...how does that WEAR as a driver seat?? IF it does, I will use it on there too, and EASY FIX my issue.....I hope....

anyone????

Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

Based on what I've viewed at the local car shows and on a few friends cars : If you wear silk pants you will get 5 to 7 years with an automatic and if you wear denim pants with a stick 3 to 5 years before the seat bottom may need a refresh.

I guess it also depends on the size of the driver, but today you can't say that.

My seats were leather and need a recover so I did not do my driver side of the seat only the back.

I love to have the back window out and my arm on the window sill. So far it has held up, 2500 miles, 5 speed and power steering. The door panel is holding it's color.

I was actually surprised how well the "dye" covered the red T top inserts and black rear sail panel.

Ricks has the quarts and for close to what I spent on the spray paint - it was one of those "I'm only making it presentable" until I replace ... Then I found a sail panel cheap at a swap meet in black and as we all know .redid the center console.. so I wound up getting another can with another order.. then a black lower dash pad - another swap meet - perfect only black... another can....

I could have used a panel spray gun or airbrush and still had left over if I got the quart.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-22-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: hate auto spell

Get notified of new replies

To '71 Saddle Interior

Quick Reply: '71 Saddle Interior