C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alt problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:27 PM
darkling
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default alt problem

so last night on my way back home from vegas .i stopped to stretch and my car wouldn't start again . got a p1637 and 8 code .
so i towed it home charged the battery last night it's a 12.57 now check voltage to large red terminal on alt 12.52
started car dtc shows 11.2 voltage and service light and codes are back

i checked connections at starter found that my starter bolts where loose
tightened them . didn't feel any loose wires on the solenoid.
fired it up and still 11.2
checked 4 pin connector have 12 v on one red ign off and 10v on other red ign on.
thinking the starter being loose just fried the voltage regulator
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by darkling
...charged the battery last night it's a 12.57, now check voltage to large red terminal on alt 12.52

started car dtc shows 11.2 voltage and service light and codes are back...
So you charged the battery overnight and using a multimeter you got 12.57v at the battery and 12.52v at the alternator before starting the engine, right? If right after charging the battery all you're getting at the battery post is 12.57v, it seems your battery is not fully charged. I suggest beginning by making sure you fully charge your battery and then take it to an auto parts store to have it load-tested.

...i checked connections at starter found that my starter bolts where loose
tightened them . didn't feel any loose wires on the solenoid.
fired it up and still 11.2
checked 4 pin connector have 12 v on one red ign off and 10v on other red ign on.
When you tightened your starter it was the perfect opportunity to check the connections at the starter solenoid. It is critical that all connections at the starter solenoid are clean and tight.

Turn on the car and with a multimeter read the voltage at the alternator (and verify if the alternator is working as it should) and then at the battery. These voltages should be basically the same, otherwise something is wrong in the alternator-starter-battery chain. If that is the case, check the 2 fusible links between the alternator and the starter.

Last edited by GCG; 04-23-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 PM
darkling
Instructor

k i'll check the link tonight the car starts right up and not having but a .05 drop from battery to alternator drop makes me think the starter connections are good i did try and move them and they where all tight but mind you it was 3am .
yeah there is no voltage change at the alt when running and checking the second red excite wire makes me believe alt
Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...checked 4 pin connector have 12 v on one red ign off and 10v on other red ign on.
Check the schematic below. There are 2 fusible links between the starter and the alternator. If they are fine, both of them should have battery voltage on the alternator side with engine off. The L wire brings 10v at a limited current from the PCM into the regulator and this is the signal that excites the alternator.

Just a bit of advice: If you verify that your alternator is bad, don't give it as a core. Plenty of horror stories here. You can replace the regulator. Take a look at this post. It has info on the right regulators for both, 97-01 and 02-04. The price is around $30.

Last edited by GCG; 04-23-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

k i'll check the link tonight the car starts right up and not having but a .05 drop from battery to alternator drop makes me think the starter connections are good i did try and move them and they where all tight but mind you it was 3am .
yeah there is no voltage change at the alt when running and checking the second red excite wire makes me believe alt
What is the voltage at the battery with the motor running? This will tell you if the alternator is charging. Should be about 13.5-14.7. If not check the output at the alternator.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:53 PM
darkling
Instructor

nope alt is not charging 1 red pin at the alt is hot at 12v with ignition off the other red has no power num 3 left to right
but with key on i have 10v at alt plug red wire number 2
so i work at carquest got a reman bosch tonight but some moron dropped it and cracked case so i get another tomorrow night i'll keep you filled in

Last edited by darkling; 04-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Before just replacing the alternator on your C5 with just anything, I suggest that you read this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-issues.html

A better alternative might be to have yours rebuilt using this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591319135

as suggested by GCG in post #4 above.
100%

BC
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 PM
darkling
Instructor

k replaced the alt today 13.8 lights and heater on high . gonna be alittle high cause i charged the battery yesterday

Get notified of new replies

To alt problem

Quick Reply: alt problem