C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling and nearly lost control on highway!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:45 PM
DavenportC6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Active Handling and nearly lost control on highway!

‘09 C6, bone stock.

Was traveling down the highway at 65MPH in the right lane when suddenly the rear end of the car slid out to the left and “Service Active Handling” displayed on the DIC. This was accompanied by a traction control light on the dash.

I was next to a semi so tried to get over to the far right, ended up on the shoulder and the car pointing towards the ditch. Was past the rumble strips when the car did it again, this time much more controllable than before.

Car has just shy of 130,000 miles, what part(s) should be replaced to prevent this from happening again?

thanks!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 PM
David Brock
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you're OK. I almost got hit head on today. Don't have any advice though sorry.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

There should be a trouble code stored in the computer that will point you in the right direction. You may need an advanced (Tech II) type scanner to read it.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 PM
DavenportC6
Cruising

I only have a handheld OBD-II scanner:

ABS

U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus Off
U0140 - Lost Communication with Body Control Module (BCM)

I have “Service Active Handling” and “Service Traction System” displayed on the dash also.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DavenportC6
I only have a handheld OBD-II scanner:

ABS

U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus Off
U0140 - Lost Communication with Body Control Module (BCM)

I have “Service Active Handling” and “Service Traction System” displayed on the dash also.
How old is your battery ? Either that or it could be a poor ground and/or connection.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:53 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It may be an electrical connector that is either fretting or not making a good connection, thus losing communication with the BCM.
The 2 places to look are under the steering wheel if you have a telescopic wheel (there was a TSB on this connector) and the other connectors that can affect this is the big Blue connectors under the passenger floor board. They can become dislodged or moved by a passenger pushing hard on the floor board. A pencil eraser can be used as a spacer to prevent this. These connectors, if dislodged slightly can give all kinds of weird alarms and issues.
Here is the TSB and a pic of the blue connectors for the fuse panel with a write up.

If these 2 items are not the issue, then you will have to get a tech II to fully diagnose.
Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB 06-Active Handling.pdf (718.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

‘09 C6, bone stock.

Was traveling down the highway at 65MPH in the right lane when suddenly the rear end of the car slid out to the left and “Service Active Handling” displayed on the DIC. This was accompanied by a traction control light on the dash.

I was next to a semi so tried to get over to the far right, ended up on the shoulder and the car pointing towards the ditch. Was past the rumble strips when the car did it again, this time much more controllable than before.

Car has just shy of 130,000 miles, what part(s) should be replaced to prevent this from happening again?

thanks!
Please report this incident to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

These systems absolutely, positively have to fail safe. Automotive connectors come loose, especially over time. That's just reality. An intermittent connection should not result in the computer attempting to crash the car.

Several people have reported similar freak-outs over the years and the only way GM will take responsibility is if the NHTSA receives enough reports.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you must drive the car before you get this problem fixed, turn off AH and TC immediately after you start the car.

And I agree about the big blue connectors in the passenger foot-well.

Good luck with this scary PITA.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 07-22-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I've had that message showing in my DIC for about two years and so far no problems.Now...If i push the pedal to the floor i might have a problem because it decreases the active handling and i would go sideways...I'v checked the connectors to the wheels and they looked ok....Liked said above only the tech11 will help me find the problem and the F%$K^*g dealer wants $145.00 just to plug their scanner....Sucks.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by David Brock
Glad you're OK. I almost got hit head on today.
From the same sort of malfunction that the OP experienced?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:28 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

If betting man, would say that you have a problem with the steering wheel position sensor, it gave a fails reading, and why the car tried to correct itself in error using the EBCM.

Hence when the car gets the wrong singles from say a frayed wire grounding out for the steering wheel sensor, the car think that is sideways, and will use the ABS valves and pump to lock up couple of the brake caliper to correct the problem.

On the early vets with telescoping steering, the steering wheel sensors wires would drag on steel parts to cause shots in them to ground wires out to cause the fails reading, and the correction from GM was a clip to secure them, as well as install that clip on later modules. So year wise, it should have the clip, unless someone get into the streering colum for some work, did not reinstall it, and this cause the shorting problem isntead.

So yes, there is a fail safe in the car is the module losses communication and the senor reads zero so the AH will not try to kill you, but this sounds like an-after the fact problem isntead, with one of the sensor wires grounding out on something to cause the false value reading other than zero Steering wheel position to the EBCM isntead.

Steering wheel position location and how to get it , so you can check it's wires for any areas that may be worn through or slip on them, that need to be repaired instead.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-defeated.html
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
So yes, there is a fail safe in the car is the module losses communication and the senor reads zero so the AH will not try to kill you, but this sounds like an-after the fact problem isntead, with one of the sensor wires grounding out on something to cause the false value reading other than zero Steering wheel position to the EBCM isntead.
There are lots of better ways to validate signal integrity for safety-critical systems. A short to ground or to reference voltage are predictable wiring faults to which a properly-designed EBCM should be fully immune.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 AM
DavenportC6
Cruising

Thanks for all the replies. I think this one will go to the dealer, as I don’t have a Tech2 and the proper tools to diagnose the issue. I would hope their scanner shows more details to help pinpoint the problem.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 AM
ojcrane
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may sound strange but I had that happen several times on my 06 base. I turned off the easy exit feature and have not had a problem in 6 months
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ojcrane
This may sound strange but I had that happen several times on my 06 base. I turned off the easy exit feature and have not had a problem in 6 months
IIRC the easy exit feature moves the steering wheel as well as the seat, so as Dano523 said your problem might be in the wiring to the SWPS.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:15 PM
DavenportC6
Cruising

What I don’t understand is why GM decided to go without a redundant link between the steering wheel position sensor and computer, if this is such a critical part.

They could have used dual signal paths or one signal ramping up while the other ramps down; allowing the computer to “check” the signals for validity.

Then the system would fail safe without causing ABS to kick in and possibly throwing the car off the road.

I am not an automotive engineer, so maybe this is a more complicated issue?
Old 07-22-2018, 12:59 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

What I don’t understand is why GM decided to go without a redundant link between the steering wheel position sensor and computer, if this is such a critical part.

They could have used dual signal paths or one signal ramping up while the other ramps down; allowing the computer to “check” the signals for validity.
The gas pedal works like that.

I believe the SWPS has only a single absolute position signal, and a quadrature signal for turn rate and direction. There is enough there for a basic sanity check, but a digital absolute encoder would have been better, or a serial link with a little brain box inside the sensor itself.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling and nearly lost control on highway!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Then the system would fail safe without causing ABS to kick in and possibly throwing the car off the road.

I am not an automotive engineer, so maybe this is a more complicated issue?
Just my two cents .... but as the C6 gets older it is likely that these types of problems will become more frequent. I would be nice it someone could figure out how to turn off, active handling, tpms, vats etc. so that the car didn't require an equally outdated Teckii to service.

Last edited by Dutch08; 07-22-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:43 PM
David Brock
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
From the same sort of malfunction that the OP experienced?
no. Oncoming car wasn't paying attention at 55 mph. 3/4 of their car crossed into my lane. No shoulder. Country highway.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:59 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch08
Just my two cents .... but as the C6 gets older it is likely that these types of problems will become more frequent. I would be nice it someone could figure out how to turn off, active handling, tpms, vats etc. so that the car didn't require an equally outdated Teckii to service.
Yeah, I see this coming too and on a lot more cars than just Corvette. GM already doesn't supply some electronics replacement parts like the E40 ECM. I have a lot more experience in the Euro world and some Euro Marque MYs are already becoming so obsolete that dealers will no longer service them, primarily BC of unavailable parts.

Yet, this will probably create some aftermarket opportunity to preserve the vehicle shell. I can see a simple engine management system (ECU and associated engine harness). Strip the car completely clean of Can-Bus and associated modules. Then come up with some simple security system and retro speedo. Otherwise, the theory of manufacturer's "planned obsolescence" will be a reality as the entire car will wear itself out of service.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling and nearly lost control on highway!