Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Damaged 7 rims in less than a year (Nashville, Tennessee interstates I40, I440)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 10:38 PM
knightindustries2000
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
Default Damaged 7 rims in less than a year (Nashville, Tennessee interstates I40, I440)

Hi,
This week I lost 3 wheels (2 fronts warped, 1 rear cracked leaking air) on my C7 grand sport, that is after I already swapped 4 wheels when visiting Nashville and Boston last year.
(This is only partially related to weak C7 GS stock rims as I made 30k miles in different states and I never had issues in Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, Wyoming)
Tennessee I40 interstate in both ways passing through the city has potholes in all lanes (most left lane included), there is no way to go around them without causing an accident.
For front ones you can tell instantly that they are warped as steering wheel passes vibrations at speeds higher than 35mph.

Traveling across entire country last year I though that I would sell my car if I ever lived in Boston, New York or Chicago, but man the degree to which Tennessee neglects their road condition is downright criminal.

Be careful out there.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:59 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,915 Likes on 1,682 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Thanks for the info, man.....I just this last Tuesday moved to the area. I'm up north in Clarksville. Guess I better watch the roads.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:41 AM
maverickster
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by knightindustries2000
Hi,
This week I lost 3 wheels (2 fronts warped, 1 rear cracked leaking air) on my C7 grand sport, that is after I already swapped 4 wheels when visiting Nashville and Boston last year.
(This is only partially related to weak C7 GS stock rims as I made 30k miles in different states and I never had issues in Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, Wyoming)
Tennessee I40 interstate in both ways passing through the city has potholes in all lanes (most left lane included), there is no way to go around them without causing an accident.
For front ones you can tell instantly that they are warped as steering wheel passes vibrations at speeds higher than 35mph.

Traveling across entire country last year I though that I would sell my car if I ever lived in Boston, New York or Chicago, but man the degree to which Tennessee neglects their road condition is downright criminal.

Be careful out there.
Yes, we moved to Nashville a little over 3 years ago and the roads here are horrific. I have a new C8 on order to pick up at the NCM and I'm terrified about driving it around the city. Some of the potholes are more than a foot deep and like you said, you can't avoid them sometimes because of traffic on both sides of you. I don't understand why Nashville can't repair these. It's a great city but the roads are pitiful.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:43 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'24

Nashville interstate roads are terrible due to the volume of tractor trailers on the road. The constant pounding of 80,000 pounds does a number on the roads.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:22 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

A judge just ok’d a class action suit about the cracked bent wheels.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:03 AM
APT21
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 58 Posts

Yea I thought roads were horrible when I lived out in Chicago but Nashville is getting just as bad. Gotta stay off the highways and keep your pleasure driving to the backroads. I’m in Mt Juliet and have memorized which lanes and areas on I40 to avoid when heading downtown

Get notified of new replies

To Damaged 7 rims in less than a year (Nashville, Tennessee interstates I40, I440)

Quick Reply: Damaged 7 rims in less than a year (Nashville, Tennessee interstates I40, I440)