Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

NC vehicle requirements

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:54 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 251 Posts
Default NC vehicle requirements

Looking to move to NC (Raleigh) in the near future. Read through the DMV site of what's expected of residents, but I'm curious as to what the diagnostic test looks for to pass inspection.
I Assume being in one of the 22 listed counties an OBDII scan will be conducted to check for ready sensors/status. Does this also include a "sniff" test or visual inspection of all aftermarket components?

​​​​​ Lastly are there any other items I should be made aware of in terms of vehicle compliance or common issues with emphasis by law enforcement? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:25 PM
vetteish
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 390 Posts

It just hooks up to the OBD2. Nothing else visual other than the obvious: tires, lights, wipers. Oh and my biggest beef of all...windows tint is regulated
Old 07-08-2022, 08:34 PM
TradedMyWife4AVette
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteish
Oh and my biggest beef of all...windows tint is regulated
Yep... stupidest thing about the inspection. And if it's .1% past the darkness threshold, then you have to remove and get it re-inspected. But otherwise, the inspection is easy to pass.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:59 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 251 Posts

Too easy, excellent! Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 07-10-2022, 12:31 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Welcome to NC. I’m in Wake Forest.
The following users liked this post:
BooSSted (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 03:56 PM
ArrestMeRed
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

I lived in Wake Forest and took mine to QuickLane for inspections. Other than the regular stuff, they're looking for codes and tint. YMMV
BooSSted (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 01:03 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

If I'm not mistaken depends on county you live in - some are safety only...
Old 07-12-2022, 01:04 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
Welcome to NC. I’m in Wake Forest.
Hey ladder, Youngsville here...
ladder13 (08-15-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:52 PM
aclassicnut
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Veteran

Go to the local DMV office with your title and ID register your car this is after you went an inspection center with your old registration card (out of state).........they will inspect for safety and emissons ($30 if passes). They will give you a report and the inspection station will send it yo Raleigh central DMV. You then go to any DMV office in any North Carolina city or town with your old title, proof of residence and I.D. You surrender old title they in turn will issuse you a new North Carolina & registration card and license plate to attach to your car. The Dmv will also figure personal porerty tax for you to pay on the spot. They don't take credit cards just debit or cash or check with two forms of I.D. (Picture) . I would also take the "Bill of Sale" for your car or cars. Then every year before your tag sticker expires, you'll have to inspect again within 90 days of expairation of sticker. DMV with send out a renewal notice with all the info of personal property to the address you gave them when you registered your car and or truck or motorcycle or trailer. If anry of your cars are older than 25 yrs, saftey inspection only ($6). If older than i think 35yrs old you can apply for an "Antique" tag and no inspection is required, just have to pay $5 plus $50 fee for personal property tax.
Hope this helps you and not compilicate matters of registering your cars, truck,motorcycle, or trailer.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:29 AM
vetteish
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by aclassicnut
Go to the local DMV office with your title and ID register your car this is after you went an inspection center with your old registration card (out of state).........they will inspect for safety and emissons ($30 if passes). They will give you a report and the inspection station will send it yo Raleigh central DMV. You then go to any DMV office in any North Carolina city or town with your old title, proof of residence and I.D. You surrender old title they in turn will issuse you a new North Carolina & registration card and license plate to attach to your car. The Dmv will also figure personal porerty tax for you to pay on the spot. They don't take credit cards just debit or cash or check with two forms of I.D. (Picture) . I would also take the "Bill of Sale" for your car or cars. Then every year before your tag sticker expires, you'll have to inspect again within 90 days of expairation of sticker. DMV with send out a renewal notice with all the info of personal property to the address you gave them when you registered your car and or truck or motorcycle or trailer. If anry of your cars are older than 25 yrs, saftey inspection only ($6). If older than i think 35yrs old you can apply for an "Antique" tag and no inspection is required, just have to pay $5 plus $50 fee for personal property tax.
Hope this helps you and not compilicate matters of registering your cars, truck,motorcycle, or trailer.
I just registered my out of state vette on 6/1-they take credit cards (also listed on the site). And I did not have to have an inspection to register. It is due 6/1/23. Maybe bc it was a new purchase and not same owner? Can’t remember the reasoning on their page. Anyway there is a table on the page telling you exactly what you need to bring and do
Old 08-11-2022, 01:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,990 Likes on 5,361 Posts

When I moved to NC I went to an office that was able to issue both driver's licenses and vehicle tags. It took several hours but my wife and I received our driver's licenses, registered 3 vehicles, and received our tags all at the same time.

Bill
Old 08-15-2022, 12:58 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Hey ladder, Youngsville here...

Im over by HHS.

Get notified of new replies

To NC vehicle requirements

Quick Reply: NC vehicle requirements