Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Scenic Drives / Fun Activities in Bowling Green Kentucky

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 03:00 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
Default Scenic Drives / Fun Activities in Bowling Green Kentucky

I was in Bowling Green this past summer and enjoyed the museum and track. However, a group of corvette owners will go again next year but are looking for more fun/interesting things to do. We did come across the Lost River Cave's historic underground boat tour which was interesting and fun but was looking for more things to do but didn't pan out as we would have hoped.

That said, I am doing some pre-planning,
we would love to go for scenic drive in our corvettes maybe where water is and nice roadside eating as an example. We will be there August, 2023 and trying to gather a list of possible interesting/fun activities in the general vicinity to do over 3-4 day period and looking for any thoughts or recommendations from those who are familiar and/or live in the Bowling Green Kentucky area. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Last edited by KGrant; 10-27-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:31 PM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 741 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

When we go down there we take a cruise to Barron Lake Dam about 23 miles one way through curvy back roads, lots of fun
Google it for directions from MCM (use the Cemetary road route)
The following users liked this post:
KGrant (10-28-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 12:27 AM
TheBeardedTower
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
I was in Bowling Green this past summer and enjoyed the museum and track. However, a group of corvette owners will go again next year but are looking for more fun/interesting things to do. We did come across the Lost River Cave's historic underground boat tour which was interesting and fun but was looking for more things to do but didn't pan out as we would have hoped.

That said, I am doing some pre-planning,
we would love to go for scenic drive in our corvettes maybe where water is and nice roadside eating as an example. We will be there August, 2023 and trying to gather a list of possible interesting/fun activities in the general vicinity to do over 3-4 day period and looking for any thoughts or recommendations from those who are familiar and/or live in the Bowling Green Kentucky area. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
I live about 45 minutes east of Bowling Green. About 30 - 45 minutes east of Bowling Green is Barren River lake in Barren County. There is a hotel/restaurant called Barren River Lodge right next to the lake. I played a show there a few years ago and they had some of the best catfish I've ever eaten. The lake is meh. There is some parks and a "beach", but not really a whole lot to do over there other than fish, go boating, and enjoy the scenery. The lake has a mud bottom so the water is brown and hard to see through. Not the best lake to swim in in my opinion. Another 10 minutes east of barren river is Glasgow. Small Town with plenty of restaurants to eat at. If you don't mind driving a couple hours I'd highly recommend Dale Hollow lake and resort about 30 minutes south of Burkesville on the Tennessee state line. Beautiful large limestone bottom lake and is one of the best places to get Tennessee style BBQ. There are a couple BBQ huts not too far from the lake. Another couple hours drive north east of Bowling Green is Green River lake. It's not as large as Dale Hollow but the water is just as nice. Also some good BBQ places out that way as well. About and hour drive North East of BG is Mammoth cave. Largest cave system that's ever been discovered and I believe there is a river Styx tour that is very similar to the lost river cave tour. Mammoth cave is a national park there is quite a bit to see out that way.

Last edited by TheBeardedTower; 11-04-2022 at 12:44 AM.
KGrant (11-04-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 09:09 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

ttt
Old 11-16-2022, 10:25 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,599 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Last time at the museum I took group of club member to visit Jack Daniel for sip of Jack & Coke, worth while tour.

https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/visit-us
KGrant (11-25-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:38 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

There are numerous caves in the area just north of BG. Mammoth Cave (and others) are only about 25 miles north of the NCM. If you have time, spend a couple of days or more and take bourbon tours along the Bourbon Trail. Or if you want to head a little farther southeast, do the Tail of the Dragon - always a favorite, if not a must, for car enthusiasts (and motorcycles).

But here's another thought - (depending on whether these are annual visits or not) - the next National Caravan to the National Corvette Museum is in 2024. This is always a huge event that brings Vette from all over the country to converge on BG and the NCM for its every 5 year celebration. There will be tons to do around the BG area including road tours, not to mention seminars and all the other fun stuff that the NCM puts on for events like this.
https://www.corvettecaravan.com/

Regardless, sounds like a fun trip. Have fun! (And take a tour when your at the NCM - I'm one of the tour guides on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the NCM )
KGrant (11-25-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Scenic Drives / Fun Activities in Bowling Green Kentucky

Quick Reply: Scenic Drives / Fun Activities in Bowling Green Kentucky