Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Moike
I'm taking the Ti mufflers to the welder on saturday so he can get a better look at what we want.
what were the results?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Moike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a site that stocks what we need but there is a $100 minium which is around 8-9 feet. I only wanted to buy enough for my car to make sure the Ti and work are all up to everyone's standards before buying a larger amount. eBay has the right lengths but they don't have the diameter, thickness, grade we need. I'll keep watching eBay but let me know if anyone else has a source for the following:

Grade: CP2 (Commercially Pure grade 2 Titanium tube)
OD: 1.5"
Thickness: between .035 or .065. I believe the stock exhaust is .065 or 16 gauge
Length: 12" per car
There is usually a seamless and a welded and either would work
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a site that stocks what we need but there is a $100 minium which is around 8-9 feet. I only wanted to buy enough for my car to make sure the Ti and work are all up to everyone's standards before buying a larger amount. eBay has the right lengths but they don't have the diameter, thickness, grade we need. I'll keep watching eBay but let me know if anyone else has a source for the following:

Grade: CP2 (Commercially Pure grade 2 Titanium tube)
OD: 1.5"
Thickness: between .035 or .065. I believe the stock exhaust is .065 or 16 gauge
Length: 12" per car
There is usually a seamless and a welded and either would work
I have made a call to a friend to see if the oilfield fixture manufacturing company he used to work for (and whose owner had a HUGE 'vette collection) could be used as a source of tubing locally. I will keep you posted as to what I fiind out.

-Ed
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar
I have made a call to a friend to see if the oilfield fixture manufacturing company he used to work for (and whose owner had a HUGE 'vette collection) could be used as a source of tubing locally. I will keep you posted as to what I fiind out.

-Ed
Thanks, any help is appreciated. I talked to another titanium supplier and they have a $225 minimum. I may just place an order from the place with the $100 minimum so that should be enough to do several cars on the first round.

I apologize that this thread has probably been painful to watch as we get the details sorted out.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, any help is appreciated. I talked to another titanium supplier and they have a $225 minimum. I may just place an order from the place with the $100 minimum so that should be enough to do several cars on the first round.

I apologize that this thread has probably been painful to watch as we get the details sorted out.
No apology at all necessary. Thanks for doing all the leg work for this. This is going to be a great mod for several of us.

Rick
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Moike
Racer

There is a site that I can order smaller quantities from but they aren't the cheapest. The cheaper options haven't been responding to my emails; probably because of the order size. Let me know what people think about this price.

96" for $210 (includes shipping)
96" should do 8 cars so that would be around $26 per car

This is for grade 2 titanium, 1.5" OD, 1.43" ID, .035 thickness

Is this reasonable?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

It would work for me! (even though I still like the thought of 2")

Anyone else in for this??

-Ed
Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
blackonblackZO6
Instructor

sounds good to me.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

I'd get the thicker Ti, it'll be easier to weld on, less likely to burn through it. I've got a guy in FW that did mine and that's the advice he gave me.

Also, I got my Ti pipe from eBay, already cut to the proper length. I think I got 20 pieces (10 cars worth) for a $100 shipped.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:43 AM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by jtkeller
I'd get the thicker Ti, it'll be easier to weld on, less likely to burn through it. I've got a guy in FW that did mine and that's the advice he gave me.

Also, I got my Ti pipe from eBay, already cut to the proper length. I think I got 20 pieces (10 cars worth) for a $100 shipped.
That's great input on the thickness. Mike at accufab found a cheaper titanium seller so I'll see what thickness they have. I've looked on ebay but can't find anything explicitly ssying grade 2 Ti with the diameter we need. Let me know if you have any more info on the Ti you used.

Regarding using 2" diameter: I measured the factory mufflers and one side is real close to a 2" diameter so cutting and welding another 2" piece to that can be done but I have to assume it is more difficult to get a clean weld. I'm sure the welder can do it though if some want the 1.5" and others want 2".
Old 08-29-2009, 05:40 PM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm interested as well, but I'd like to hear how the details work out before I bite the bullet. Thanks again for helping all of us Houston guys out as well.

BTW, I've only heard the bypass mod on the internet. Is there anyone in Houston that already has the bypass mod that would be willing to let me hear what it sounds like in person? I'd be willing to drive out to a place of your choosing...
Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Moike
Racer

I ordered 48" of Ti for a test run. The cost after shipping is about $24 a foot. I ended up ordering an OD of 1.67" as a compromise since most have been doing 1.5" but there are some who have done 2" that worked.

I'll post pics and a before and after video once it is installed. I live in Cypress so anyone is welcome to hear it in person as well.

Last edited by Moike; 09-03-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

I ordered 48" of Ti for a test run. The cost after shipping is about $24 a foot. I ended up ordering an OD of 1.67" as a compromise since most have been doing 1.5" but there are some who have done 2" that worked.

I'll post pics and a before and after video once it is installed. I live in Cypress so anyone is welcome to hear it in person as well.

I can't wait!!!

Keep me posted, I am in far north houston (champions area) so I could swing by and look, listen, etc.

Thanks again for all the leg work!!!

-Ed
Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Robert@SpeedDemon
Advanced

What other mods do you have done? Im like 5 mins from that welding place on 2920.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Moike
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert@SpeedDemon
What other mods do you have done? Im like 5 mins from that welding place on 2920.
LG Streets LT's
Vararam
B&B Bullets
Whiplash II Cam

Here's a few videos on youtube of the current idle and I can add the stock exhaust w/ bypass mod version soon hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqJDP45PP8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvAaaaR5FlM
Old 09-03-2009, 03:30 PM
LathanStanley
Racer

I'm interested, I saw a vette at the Space City Corvettes meet in Galveston (I forget who's) that had the bypass installed with a switch for a mechanical baffle on the dash, (In other words, they welded a motorized valve into the bypass) and it could be opened/closed with the flick of a switch, (instant factory -> race/fun/loud exhaust control!)

it was amazing....

If you can think of how to put a switch in the dash, with some kinda control on the pipe, I'm in. (I understand its a bit more $ for the control though)
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM
blackonblackZO6
Instructor

if for some reason the welder can't do it or backs out for some reason. I have another place that can do it. If we don't go with this place in Tomball, then i will be the test subject for my friend's shop.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?

Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm looking forward to hearing these afterwards also. I'm in the Cypress area so hopefully could meet up sometime.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
I'm looking forward to hearing these afterwards also. I'm in the Cypress area so hopefully could meet up sometime.

Should be soon now!!

I am going to try and get the exhaust off mine this week....

-Ed
Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Moike
Racer

The welder has my stock exhaust as of this morning so I hope to be able to post some pics up soon.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?