Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 PM
blackonblackZO6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
Great review Ed. I'm looking forward to hearing them and getting mine on.

Black,

We may have some left over after I get my car done.

Rick
well, if there is enough to do anymore cars let me know.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Moike
Racer

Here are pictures to show the diameter of the stock Ti vs. the 1.67" tube. The side going into the muffler is no problem but the side coming out would be tricky.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking to Mike (the welder) he could do it, but doesn't like to have thin margins to weld to. It would almost be like welding the ends of two tubes together. Gets ugly quick.

The 1.67 leaves just about 3/16" on each side, really hard to notice when you are actually holding the exhaust in your hands. I was pushing a little for 2" at the beginning as well, but am happy with what we have.

-Ed
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Moike
I asked him about that before he did mine and he thought it would be difficult to get a clean weld based on the diameter of the stock Ti. I saw a picture where someone used 2" and it looked like they bent the tube inward to help it fit cleanly. I'll update this post with a picture later of the side view so you can see how the 1.67" diameter looks against the stock Ti because the pics I posted before don't show that angle. You might still want to check with the welder though because now that he's done a few he may be more confident in it.
Yes, the 2" tube looked like it may have been squeezed a bit on one end to get closer to a flush transition. I like to "supersize" everything to think I'm getting the max benefit, when I'm sure the only difference may be a little louder exhaust note at full throttle.

Originally Posted by Moike
Here are pictures to show the diameter of the stock Ti vs. the 1.67" tube. The side going into the muffler is no problem but the side coming out would be tricky.

Thanks for the pics, it looks good. You've been a real asset to us all by keeping up this thread

How long does the fabricator take to complete this work? I work in H-town and may make arrangements to throw my exhaust in my truck and drop it off .
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
CTLawn
Instructor

I know this is short notice, but are any of you with this mod on a mostly stock car free for a listening this afternoon or evening? I'm in town for a couple days and would like to see what it sounds like. I can meet you anywhere in the area, just let me know!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTLawn
I know this is short notice, but are any of you with this mod on a mostly stock car free for a listening this afternoon or evening? I'm in town for a couple days and would like to see what it sounds like. I can meet you anywhere in the area, just let me know!
Yes, I can help.

My Z is currently bone stock except the modded exhaust. I live on the North side.

PM me and we can work out some details

-Ed
Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 PM
CTLawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar
Yes, I can help.

My Z is currently bone stock except the modded exhaust. I live on the North side.

PM me and we can work out some details

-Ed
Ed, thanks for taking the time to visit and let me see & hear your exhaust yesterday, they sound great! So far that is closest to what I am looking for...now for some money to buy them with...

Quick Reply: Anyone in Houston need bypass mod for Ti exhaust?