Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

*** win free fikse wheels ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could do a regional deal and link the event so it coincides in each state, webcams etc...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '10

This may be a little over the top but how about a 3 city event over a long weekend. Say Albuquerque on Thursday, OKC on Friday and finish in Austin or Dallas on Saturday (or Pheonix or other cities) The daytime would be a nice long drive and the evenings would be a 'gather and dinner' or what ever. You could hit 1 city or all 3 depending on your schedule or budget.

Last edited by C4fan; 10-17-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 PM
mr. creosote
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the idea of doing something at Circuit of the Americas in Austin. At least for the State of Texas, it's centrally located. Lots of other things to do in Austin and some fun roads to drive. While a track day would be great, it might be a bit easier to maybe put together a Corvette Coral for the V8 Supercars race they have scheduled for May 2013.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's kind of a catch 22:
The more well attended events attract more participation.
Advertising to local corvette clubs would help. Then of course
there's always Food! Scantilly clad women!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 95ZR1
It's kind of a catch 22:
The more well attended events attract more participation.
Advertising to local corvette clubs would help. Then of course
there's always Food! Scantilly clad women!
Planning on having a calendar release party soon and there will be some ladies there
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by redneckvette
I would love to see any event from a cruise / poker run to a show and shine where all the members donate (possible entry fee's) or straight up donate to a know great cause like Toys for Tots or one of the non profit children's hospitals like Cook Children's here in cow town (Fort Worth). Or even donate to an organization that helps our wounded veterans.

Come up to the NCCO 5th Annual All Corvette Show, in Norman Oklahoma, for Toys for Tots in June 2013. 100% of all the proceeds go directly to the TfT. This year we raised 10k and over the last 4 years we have raised over 40k for the kids.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that if you planned this event in conjunction with another major event it would attract more attendees. My idea would be to schedule it the same week end as something like the Australian V8 Supercars coming to Circuit of the Americas. F1 is already going to make Austin even more crazy town than it already is. V8 Supercars is just the right mix of low key yet still quality pro racing with awesome cars. After people drive in, they will want to detail their cars for the car show, so maybe have AutoGeek come in and do a detailing seminar on Friday. Car show on Saturday. Car corral on Sunday at COTA for the race. Sprinkle in some other cool stuff like some dyno runs, or a Hill Country cruise, and you could make it a nice 3 day week end.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
71Pantera
Racer

How about a TX/OK track challenge. Do MSR C, ECR, and Hallett all in one week.

That would be a blast and I know some folks that would run it.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Mikev078
Drifting

All great ideas being listed. Considering probably some would not be able to make some of those commute ideas. How about some kind of LAN party? Get some local places to host and those in the area physically meet up. Then online, do some gaming or something with the other regions.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Vettes, Beer, & BBQ...

Pick a spot.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I think it would be cool to have an event in a small town every year. Something that increases the town's population 10x...

An event that the town mayor would fully endorse and appreciate the revenue to his small town. A town with large fair grounds for the event.

Cars for Sale, Parts for sale, Vendors, Cars for show, Judging, Burn out competitions, Close some of the local roads around the town for a road rally (timed runs), and maybe even an old air strip for 1 mile competitions.

Something that could be started and make a yearly event... maybe even a spring and fall event...

Toque
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think a food drive event for the shelter's etc. would be a great thing to do around the austin area, cars bring people and people will bring can goods etc. All us corvette/muscle car guys around FT. HOOD area do them every so often, thanksgiving is comming up and I am sure a drive like this would help out alot of people in need, just bring lots of gearheads together for the greater good! thanks all, Dan
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I am for anything that involves driving the cars, not parking them all day while we do other things. I enjoy the occasional car show that is brief and for charity (like Coffee & Cars, poker runs, scavenger hunts...)

In fact, I don't think anyone has mentioned the scavenger hunt yet. Don't reveal the list until the gathering, then send everyone to the four winds to gather the items. It could either be Corvette specific items (mug with a certain logo, shirt, keychain, a hard to find oil like Redline, etc.). Another idea is to locate new items like toys that will all be donated after the fact. Whoever has the most complete list of items wins something like dinner for two, or a movie gift card, gift certificate to Corvettes of Houston, et. al.. Toys for Tots scavenger hunt?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'd say a full blowout spanning an entire weekend would draw more people and bring people from other locations by having a variety of things to draw different interests. A BBQ and/or chili cook-off would be a good start, you could also have a dyno set up to do tunes, and possibly have burnout & stereo contests. Invite forum and other vendors to come out and set up booths for the weekend. Have a cruise night on either Friday or Saturday night, a road rally during one or more days, and a car show lasting the entire weekend. Ask some of the performance shops here in Texas to provide their race cars for display, such as Lou Gigliotti's from LG Motorsports. I'd also add a raffle with the grand prize winner getting one of the NASCAR experience packages from Texas Motor Speedway, or maybe just a free hour at the track to run their own car. I'd even add some bounce houses and a carnival for the kids, and have someone donate a NASCAR or NHRA race car that the kids could sit in to see what a real race car looks like on the inside, and possibly have a photographer taking pictures for parents to purchase.

Make it big, make sure kids have something to do, and have variety so people will have plenty to hold their interest and you'll have a successful event. Just make sure to advertise across the entire region.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 10-19-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:20 PM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How about Corvette Day at Texas Motor Speedway. Show, judging, and timed events on road course set up in infield.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 PM
lallend
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I'd like to see a Corvette Forum "Cruise In" style event in Las Vegas.

Let's face it, Las Vegas is a popular vacation destination for many people (Coast to Coast). The likelihood of a greater participation to one location vs another location is the fact that many are planning a vacation at Vegas whether there is a Corvette Event or not...

Get notified of new replies

To *** win free fikse wheels ***

Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Corvette show by state...Texas owners challenge Arkansas and Oklahoma owners and see which state has the most cars. Of course, good food, live music, and some kind of driving event would be fun.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Another option would be to have something around the same time of tx tk13 since so much goes on during that time. Could have the track day/get together/whatever during the day which would allow people to also participate at night, if they choose.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Night Rally in local cities. Have a gathering spot for some dinner, then distribute route maps with check points and time goals. The point of a rally is not to get there the fastest, but to get to the checkpoint as close to the set time as possible. Too fast or too slow will not win.

Quick Reply: *** win free fikse wheels ***