C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

battery short

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 01:10 PM
choopes
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default battery short

My 93 Coupe looses battery charge after sitting for a spell. I have replaced so many batteries from Interstate. (Exchange since they last less then a year) The Interstate man has told me he can no longer keep swapping them out for me. I bought a battery tender that I use if it is to be parked more then a few days. A short to ground drains the battery. That is my suspicion. This is a intermittent problem. I would go out every few days and crank it. It was fine. Until one day I left the posts connected. I had gone as long as 2 weeks with no problems before. Now after 2 days I've got another dead battery.
I think this is a common problem. I have found posts about work-arounds. Usually involving electrically removing one connector from the battery. One guy installed a knife switch.
What are some common causes, and fixes?
Thank you.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:46 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 160 Posts

A friend's C-4 had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad door switch on the center console, keeping the light in the console on.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:04 PM
jrobin1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 93 and had the same issue. The PO had purchased a battery kill switch but never installed it. It turned out to be the antenna wire had touched the tailpipe, burned through the insulation and was shorting the circuit. Translation, it could be almost anything. Check some of the YouTube videos on finding a short to ground in a car. Good Hunting!
Old 05-02-2024, 05:32 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

This is not the Corvette ownership experience we strive for. Our team would like the opportunity to learn more about the battery on your Coupe and investigate ways we can potentially assist. When you get the chance, please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line, then provide additional details about your experience in the body of the email. We look forward to your contact.

Get notified of new replies

To battery short

Quick Reply: battery short