C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 1961 Complete Rewire in one thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:45 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default My 1961 Complete Rewire in one thread

I'm starting a new thread on this wonderful adventure. Hopefully this will help other rookies who attempt this process. Note that this is part of a process to install a new dash, new windshield and completely renew the doors.

I bought what I thought was a complete Lectric Limited rewire set (not cheap) including their blue diagram. I also already had a color coded diagram from Classic Car Wiring. Interestingly neither of them show every electrical component - missing such items as the capacitor in the instrument cluster when the car has a radio. I also printed out Joe Fisher's nice pdf on 58-62 dash cluster removal and installation.

The wiring in my car was a mess. I've already found more the 20 crimp connectors with about 1/2 buried under tape and wires with the wrong color. No wonder it had intermittent starting and lighting problems. I even found a harness section laying right on the wiper cable - good thing they hardly ever get used.

Seemed simple enough. Take some notes and photos as I disassembled everything and then put the wiring back together with proper routing this time of the harnesses and wires.

I'll post about some of my experiences, pictures and diagrams in following comments.

Hang in there with me. And thanks to all the people that have helped along on the journey of fixing my blue and white '61.

Popular Reply

12-08-2015, 06:00 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by johngammel
After getting an great pdf emailed to me that had lots of pics things have gone much better. I'm thinking I really should have laid the entire car out in the other stall in my garage but this is working out. The complete kit didn't include wiring and sockets for the front signals and after a review with our club electrical guy decided to buy these new. Complete also doesn't include the turn signal wiring so I'm buying that as well since I found one bare but taped over wire there.

The pic is where I'm at right now for the interior harness. Wondering if the "battery" gauge wiring is on correctly?

Also missing from the complete set are some grounds. Haven't determined the complete list. If someone has good pics or documentation for the grounds I'd like to see them. My car is a 2x4 270HP (aluminum intake manifold) with a 4 speed manual.
John
It looks like you have the wiring correct on the battery gauge: red leads to the stud on the passenger side.

Regarding the grounds, I worked up a document today showing what I think has most of the grounding points. Can't guarantee that I hit them all! Hopefully, others will weigh in with anything I've missed and I can edit the document appropriately. The PDF file is attached.

I have also attached the document done when we rewired the car with the Lectric Limited Deluxe set for the '60 with manual trans. in case that's the one the other members above have requested.

Dave Z

Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

First things that I found. A 100% set isn't 100%. There aren't any harnesses for the front parking/directional lights. Per LL website these aren't a standard socket as they are integral to entire assembly. They do have a repair kit which comes with a DIY "warning" or you need to buy an entire new RH and LH assembly.

The coil to ballast resistor isn't large enough to fit on the current incorrect coil or an 091 reproduction that I bought. LL said to bend it open but after trying to do this gently I'm going to opt for using my Dremel.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:48 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 11-07-2015, 09:53 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Cool thread John.

I'm just about complete after installing the LL wire harness package into my '62.

I'm to the point that I need to convert the standard engine harness over to single point alternator, and integrate an ignition system.

I do have to say that the Lectric Limited has worked out very well for me.

I'll keep watching!

Pat
Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Great thread, I am sure that many will learn from this.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:37 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Good Progress

After getting an great pdf emailed to me that had lots of pics things have gone much better. I'm thinking I really should have laid the entire car out in the other stall in my garage but this is working out. The complete kit didn't include wiring and sockets for the front signals and after a review with our club electrical guy decided to buy these new. Complete also doesn't include the turn signal wiring so I'm buying that as well since I found one bare but taped over wire there.

The pic is where I'm at right now for the interior harness. Wondering if the "battery" gauge wiring is on correctly?

Also missing from the complete set are some grounds. Haven't determined the complete list. If someone has good pics or documentation for the grounds I'd like to see them. My car is a 2x4 270HP (aluminum intake manifold) with a 4 speed manual.
Attached Images  

Last edited by johngammel; 11-10-2015 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old Joe (11-01-2018)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:21 PM
JFM58
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting a new thread on this wonderful adventure. Hopefully this will help other rookies who attempt this process. Note that this is part of a process to install a new dash, new windshield and completely renew the doors.

I bought what I thought was a complete Lectric Limited rewire set (not cheap) including their blue diagram. I also already had a color coded diagram from Classic Car Wiring. Interestingly neither of them show every electrical component - missing such items as the capacitor in the instrument cluster when the car has a radio. I also printed out Joe Fisher's nice pdf on 58-62 dash cluster removal and installation.

The wiring in my car was a mess. I've already found more the 20 crimp connectors with about 1/2 buried under tape and wires with the wrong color. No wonder it had intermittent starting and lighting problems. I even found a harness section laying right on the wiper cable - good thing they hardly ever get used.

Seemed simple enough. Take some notes and photos as I disassembled everything and then put the wiring back together with proper routing this time of the harnesses and wires.

I'll post about some of my experiences, pictures and diagrams in following comments.

Hang in there with me. And thanks to all the people that have helped along on the journey of fixing my blue and white '61.
Is there any coupon codes for Lectric Limited?
Or, do CF members get a discount?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JFM58
Is there any coupon codes for Lectric Limited?
Or, do CF members get a discount?
If you re a NCRS member they offer on "Reproduction Corvette Wiring Harnesses." 10% thru Jan 2016. Coupon code for members is NCRS-WH216.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM
JFM58
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
If you re a NCRS member they offer on "Reproduction Corvette Wiring Harnesses." 10% thru Jan 2016. Coupon code for members is NCRS-WH216.
Thanks Don
Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 PM
59 navy
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Wiring

I just finished rewiring my 59 with Lectric Limited. I might have purchased an incorrect loom. I had wires and plugs for electric windows, electric conv. top, electric fuel pump, speedometer, tach, a complicated starter switch and headlight switch assembly......and others. I worked it out but ended up with wire routes that I'll never use for this car. (electric speedometer, tack, speedo??) It can be done but wasn't easy. 59 navy
Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Great thread, I an ready to purchase complete wiring for a 60 , very interested in all you have to say!!!! Chip
Old 12-03-2015, 03:58 AM
David Moroney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi John

Great thread. I'm just about to start on my '58 which has the added complication of a NOM, and was wondering what was the PDF you have with the pictures, and whether it would help me?

If relevant, can you please provide a link or email it to me? I can PM you with my email address.

Thanks
David
Old 12-03-2015, 09:58 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I know you can order the LL wiring harness through several of the vendors. My concern was that there were so many "supplemental" wires besides the main harness.

I contacted Lectric Limited and spoke with a representative there. He spend a good deal of time going over each and every item, paying particular attention to many of the items besides the main harness themselves.

In the end, I know I could have saved some money ordering through a vendor, but I felt like I received a lot of information talking directly with the rep from LL. So I just went ahead and ordered directly through them, and as I stated earlier, LL worked out well for me.

I did have one issue with the gauge lights not working. The fuse panel (for gauge lights) didn't have juice to it on either side. I called LL and the guy told me within a few seconds what the problem was. It was the headlight switch. Apparently the main fuse panel (for gauge lights) is fed through the headlight switch. Obviously the guy knew what he was talking about.

So if it anybody is undecided on which wiring to go with, I suggest you contact LL directly and speak with a rep there.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 12-03-2015 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old Joe (11-01-2018)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Ferry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I am about to work on electrical part after a chassis off restoration (C1 1961). I wonder if you will be agree to send to me that pdf ?
Here is my email : grinta@bluewin.ch
Thanks a lot
Ferry
Old 12-08-2015, 06:00 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

John
It looks like you have the wiring correct on the battery gauge: red leads to the stud on the passenger side.

Regarding the grounds, I worked up a document today showing what I think has most of the grounding points. Can't guarantee that I hit them all! Hopefully, others will weigh in with anything I've missed and I can edit the document appropriately. The PDF file is attached.

I have also attached the document done when we rewired the car with the Lectric Limited Deluxe set for the '60 with manual trans. in case that's the one the other members above have requested.

Dave Z

The following 7 users liked this post by DZVette:
csherman (10-30-2018), David Moroney (12-09-2015), Loren Smith (09-05-2018), olchev (12-10-2015), Old Joe (11-01-2018), solidaxel (07-11-2018), viperdogg1 (12-02-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:03 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
I know you can order the LL wiring harness through several of the vendors. My concern was that there were so many "supplemental" wires besides the main harness.

I contacted Lectric Limited and spoke with a representative there. He spend a good deal of time going over each and every item, paying particular attention to many of the items besides the main harness themselves.

In the end, I know I could have saved some money ordering through a vendor, but I felt like I received a lot of information talking directly with the rep from LL. So I just went ahead and ordered directly through them, and as I stated earlier, LL worked out well for me.

I did have one issue with the gauge lights not working. The fuse panel (for gauge lights) didn't have juice to it on either side. I called LL and the guy told me within a few seconds what the problem was. It was the headlight switch. Apparently the main fuse panel (for gauge lights) is fed through the headlight switch. Obviously the guy knew what he was talking about.

So if it anybody is undecided on which wiring to go with, I suggest you contact LL directly and speak with a rep there.

Pat
Based on your post I did call LL direct today, didn't get warm fuzzy feeling I expected, I'll call my go to vender tomorrow, and see how that goes, but you are right, the packages don't include all, and I want to replace one for one, and I want to know I am getting them all. Chip
Old 12-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Ferry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZVette
John

Dave Z

Thank you very much, those pdf are very well done suddenly everything seams to be clear!!!
Have a good day
Ferry

Last edited by Ferry; 12-08-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1961 Complete Rewire in one thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6D2148
Based on your post I did call LL direct today, didn't get warm fuzzy feeling I expected, I'll call my go to vender tomorrow, and see how that goes, but you are right, the packages don't include all, and I want to replace one for one, and I want to know I am getting them all. Chip
Hey Chip,

Damn....that's not right, but I'm with you. If you don't feel like you're getting good assistance, then I move on as well.

I wish I could have, would have remembered the guy's name, because he really was a tremendous help to me.

Shouldn't have to roll the dice though as to which rep you're going to get!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:23 AM
David Moroney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=DZVette;1591071510]John

Dave Z

Thanks Dave Z

Great documentation - clear photos and excellent colour post-editing. I'm sure this will be very helpful for my '58. I will crosscheck between the '60 wiring diagram, the '58 wiring diagram, your notes and my actual NOM/Bubba wiring and should be able to sort out 95% of any issues.

Cheers
David
Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Nice job on the PDFs Dave. I wouldn't even start this job without the Dr. Rebuild color pictorial schematics. They have the GM wiring schematic errors corrected and the connections have been checked on real cars. One of my better investments on both the C1 and C2...

Quick Reply: My 1961 Complete Rewire in one thread