C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension and steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Before you mess with the steering box, you need to get most of the other steering issues resolved. Rebuild or replace the ragjoint if you find that there is lost motion in its movement (lock in place the steering shaft below the ragjoint and test for motion in upper shaft).

Once there is no lost motion in that joint, evaluate looseness in steering link joints. You can take the car to a reputable alignment shop and ask them to check steering for looseness and tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced; or you can have someone in your driver's seat operating the steering wheel while you watch action in the steering links. The steering wheel needs to be moved right to left but only as far as there is NO movement in the tires. If you have power steering, you need to have the engine running; for manual steering, the engine can be OFF. As the steering wheel is turned back and forth within that range, watch for ANY movement in the steering links (ie, buckling, twisting, etc.). If the joints are tight, you really shouldn't see any shifting of linkage or idler arm movement. Where you see movement, there is at least one sloppy joint.

When ragjoint and linkage have little lost motion in them, THEN you can test the steering box. So, get to that point and we can detail the "next steps". And you need to do this whether or not you decide to convert to manual steering.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Before you mess with the steering box, you need to get most of the other steering issues resolved. Rebuild or replace the ragjoint if you find that there is lost motion in its movement (lock in place the steering shaft below the ragjoint and test for motion in upper shaft).

Once there is no lost motion in that joint, evaluate looseness in steering link joints. You can take the car to a reputable alignment shop and ask them to check steering for looseness and tell you what needs to be repaired/replaced; or you can have someone in your driver's seat operating the steering wheel while you watch action in the steering links. The steering wheel needs to be moved right to left but only as far as there is NO movement in the tires. If you have power steering, you need to have the engine running; for manual steering, the engine can be OFF. As the steering wheel is turned back and forth within that range, watch for ANY movement in the steering links (ie, buckling, twisting, etc.). If the joints are tight, you really shouldn't see any shifting of linkage or idler arm movement. Where you see movement, there is at least one sloppy joint.

When ragjoint and linkage have little lost motion in them, THEN you can test the steering box. So, get to that point and we can detail the "next steps". And you need to do this whether or not you decide to convert to manual steering.
Good points. The majority of the play is normally in the components outside of the steering box (rag joint, tie rod ends, idler arm) if they haven't been replaced more recently - they are the wear parts. Make sure you identify your problems before throwing money and parts at it, so that you can know you've fixed it when you're done.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the good pointers. I will be replacing all the wear components anyway and thought it might be worth have the box on hand as I will have everything apart. Based on these points, I may wait on the box till I have the other parts done then decide on the box.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:49 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

PM sent yesterday
Old 10-13-2016, 12:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Once the 'wear' parts have been repaired/replaced, you can do simple testing to assess the state of the steering box. Start a new thread on that if you need to do so. I can also guide you on how to replace the grease in the steering box. If you want to do that while you are into repair of the steering system components, that would be the right time to do so.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:28 PM
One Owner
Lifelong Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Steering Box Location

Does anyone know if there is a slight difference in the location of the steering box between 68 and 69 (I had heard from one person that there was)?

I restored a 68 chassis as my original 69 chassis was pretty rotted. When I installed the original steering box on the "new" chassis, the frame bolt pattern was exactly the same but when reconnecting the steering column to the rag joint, there was about 1/4 to 3/4" more space between them. I did finally manage to connect them but I had to move the upper flange down the steering column shaft quite a bit further to reach the rag joint and now it's right at the end of the shaft. It makes me nervous that when I get to drive it, it may not be safe. Also, I'm getting some binding when the wheel is turned, though I've not actually driven the car yet. Moving the box about 1/2" toward the rear would solve the issue but it's not quite that simple! Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Jack
Old 10-13-2016, 01:18 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The steering column is 'collapsible'. When the ragjoint was removed, forces may have been applied that compressed the column to provide adequate removal space. The box needs to be tilted/dropped to get this done properly.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 10-13-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM
One Owner
Lifelong Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The steering column is 'collapsible'. When the ragjoint was removed, forces may have been applied that compressed the column to provide adequate removal space. The box needs to be tilted/dropped to get this done properly.

Thanks much. Never thought about that. That said, I never took the column out of the car. It remained with the body during the frame swap, though it's entirely possible the bottom of the shaft got pushed in slightly somewhere along the way.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:11 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
PM sent yesterday
Thanks, I think I'm going to take some advice of others for now and wait till I get the other components replaced/rebuilt before I replace the steering box. I will definitely keep you in mind if I decide I need a box though.

Quick Reply: Front suspension and steering