Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

damn I'm confused.. C6 radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Default damn I'm confused.. C6 radio upgrade

ok so I'm gonna be upgrading my Bose radio in my 13 GS.. Looking at both the high end Pioneers and Kenwoods that I'll be researching a bit.. What's got me confused are the wiring kits.. Rp3, RP5 Gms04, Maestro etc.. I want everything to work as close as stock as I can. I'm not a audiophile (anymore, ears went a long time ago) but DO appreciate good sounding units and loud.. :-) I understand that I won't get NAV on my HUD and that's fine... Can someone please explain the diff between all of the wiring harnesses..

THANKS!!

/joe
Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Hey Joe, I sent you message. About the harnesses there are different brands that you can use. Then you also have to make sure you use the right one that is compatible for your exact system. If you are only changing the head unit, then you need one that is compatible with Bose and OnStar (if you wish to have it). Bose has their own separate amps that you would reuse with the new radio. That's why you need a harness that is compatible. The Pac Audio brand is what I used and is probably your best option. The RP5-GM11 is the do everything harness, meaning it is compatible with or with out Bose and with or without OnStar. I think the RP4-GM11 works with the Bose also and would work for you also but doesn't retain OnStar. Both come with steering wheel controls and chimes.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-16-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Hey Joe, I sent you message. About the harnesses there are different brands that you can use. Then you also have to make sure you use the right one that is compatible for your exact system. If you are only changing the head unit, then you need one that is compatible with Bose and OnStar (if you wish to have it). Bose has their own separate amps that you would reuse with the new radio. That's why you need a harness that is compatible. The Pac Audio brand is what I used and is probably your best option. The RP5-GM11 is the do everything harness, meaning it is compatible with or with out Bose and with or without OnStar. I think the RP4-GM11 works with the Bose also and would work for you also but doesn't retain OnStar. Both come with steering wheel controls and chimes.

do you know what the Maestro module does ? is it the same...
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joec
do you know what the Maestro module does ? is it the same...
Maestro is a steering wheel controls that you buy separately for a wiring harness that didn't include it already. They also sell their line of harnesses. I think it's also a little more customizable but not sure. Some cars have much more complicated steering wheel controls and interface with a lot more options. In those cases the Maestro is probably the best or only option.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-16-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Bose has their own separate amps that you would reuse with the new radio. .
What does this mean?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
What does this mean?

If your car has the Bose system, and you are only replacing the head unit and you plan on keeping the Bose speaker system, you have to take into account that the Bose system has amps hidden in the car in between the head unit and the speakers and hook up your head unit accordingly. Hopefully that makes sense. Basically you have to hook up your head unit to work with an amp through the speaker wires. Using the right wiring harness correctly will do this for you.

Normally speaker wires go directly to speakers and not an amp. In this case you need something (wiring harness/interface) to convert the speaker wires to a pre-amp signal.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

If your car has the Bose system, and you are only replacing the head unit and you plan on keeping the Bose speaker system, you have to take into account that the Bose system has amps hidden in the car in between the head unit and the speakers and hook up your head unit accordingly. Hopefully that makes sense. Basically you have to hook up your head unit to work with an amp through the speaker wires. Using the right wiring harness correctly will do this for you.

Normally speaker wires go directly to speakers and not an amp. In this case you need something (wiring harness/interface) to convert the speaker wires to a pre-amp signal.
Okay, got it, is the amp hidden underneath one of the seats? Also, does anybody know where the subwoofer is hidden (just curious)?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Okay, got it, is the amp hidden underneath one of the seats? Also, does anybody know where the subwoofer is hidden (just curious)?

I think the amp is located on the passenger side foot well. I'm not sure if it's just one amp or if there is another one somewhere. The subwoofers are in the doors. Each door has a sub and a 3.5" speaker.
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (09-08-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:10 AM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i installed a pioneer in my 10 GS with bose, used the PAC-RP5-GM11 everything works great, the bose amp and speakers don't sound too bad to me, also those are woofers in the doors not subwoofers
Old 09-15-2017, 11:39 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 86SC
i installed a pioneer in my 10 GS with bose, used the PAC-RP5-GM11 everything works great, the bose amp and speakers don't sound too bad to me, also those are woofers in the doors not subwoofers
My bad, I keep calling them subwoofers. Also, I agree with you about replacing the head unit alone in the C6 does improve sound quality and makes the Bose system sound better. I ran my GS that way for a while before recently going with a whole speaker, sub, amp setup.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 86SC
-Does it provide pre-amp connection to the stock amp?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by airforcex
-Does it provide pre-amp connection to the stock amp?
Yes, the RP5-GM11 is compatible with or without Bose. The Pac module has 2 slots where you plug in the wiring harness. You connect the wiring harness to the correct slot on the Pac module. One is used and labeled for connecting to an existing amp, the other slot is for no amp.

Get notified of new replies

To damn I'm confused.. C6 radio upgrade

Quick Reply: damn I'm confused.. C6 radio upgrade