Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Finished my install!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:18 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Received 506 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor View Post
My Alpine was mentioned in that article. Active is where it is at, for me. The Helix can be bought on ebay from Italy for $500, instead of $800 retail in the US.
Yeah I saw that. I have heard good things about the ilx-207 also. You have some good equipment there. I wish I would of started out with an Alpine or even a Kenwood from the get go. Probably would be in a much happier place right now.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, right now I'm heavily leaning towards LESS sub, a 3-way component, and a DSP. That 10W7 is great if you're trying to blow the windows out...but not for precision or sound "quality."
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

Funny shenanigans...wasn't really happy with sound. Found out that my right passenger door woofer wasn't playing. That usually helps when your speakers play when asked to. Easy fix. Removed panel, and speaker, cut a slit in the baffle and ran the wire through the baffle instead of behind it. Rolled the window down to check for clearance. All good> Reinstalled and buttoned it up. Back to sounding decent. Still undecided about route to take...
Old 06-13-2018, 04:05 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

I just ordered a DSP. I found what I think is a good deal so I pulled the trigger on one. It's a Audiocontrol dm-608. If anyone has any feedback on this model or experience with it or other Audiocontrol DSP's, feel free to share. Brand new $400 shipped. I thought that was too good to pass up. Hopefully no regrets later.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 06-13-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:22 PM
TheProsecutor
CF Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Mark at the Fab Kitchen likes it:
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor View Post
Mark at the Fab Kitchen likes it:
I hope so. He states that Audiocontrol sponsored the video, and also they probably sent him the DSP for free to review. So hopefully we are getting a good non-biased review.

With a DSP, I'm tempted to set up my system as active and get rid of my passive crossovers for at least the front speakers. But I'm going to hold off for now since I would need to add a second amp to accommodate the additional channels I would need. Hopefully this DSP takes care of my sound complaints. I can't imagine that it won't, so I'm looking forward to getting it and installing it. Wish me luck that Audiocontrol knows how to build a quality DSP and that I get it all figured out.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

I think my sub amp is now on the fritz. Sub cuts-out and I've checked ALL wiring, continuity, everything. RCA's are tight, wires have continuity and are tight, the amp is NOT going into thermal, so it's the amp...or the amp...

Well I did get 12 years out of it. I suppose it did it's job.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin View Post
I think my sub amp is now on the fritz. Sub cuts-out and I've checked ALL wiring, continuity, everything. RCA's are tight, wires have continuity and are tight, the amp is NOT going into thermal, so it's the amp...or the amp...

Well I did get 12 years out of it. I suppose it did it's job.
Thankfully, while installing my MGW shifter this weekend, I decided to pull the HU just to check wiring to rule out all possibilities. Then there it was. A freaking pinched RCA cable to the sub channel. That's for sure causing my intermittent outage. Ordered another RCA a foot longer so I can route it differently this time and not pinch it. Just sucks I have to pull the RCAs since I braided them together.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Well, right now I'm heavily leaning towards LESS sub, a 3-way component, and a DSP. That 10W7 is great if you're trying to blow the windows out...but not for precision or sound "quality."
So you don't think the 10w7 can be musical or accurate? If not suitable where are you headed subwoofer wise?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

A little update. The 10W7 is staying (for now). Here's why. I was hearing a strange sound when the bass was hitting in certain freq ranges. About 80-90hz. It sounded like a "sizzle" or pressure escaping and reflecting of the back glass. I could hear it, my friends could not. Well since I found out that the culprit of my sub-intermittent issue was the pinched RCA, I replaced it with a much better and thicker RCA, I am able to really listen to it. I also noticed that my sub mounting hardware was not going all the way through the mounting surface (2" of MDF) but I had drilled holes to run some more permanent hardware. When I didn't use the hardware, I realized pressure was escaping past the mounting hardware creating that "sizzle" sound. The fix? Some butyl rope on the inside of the box to plug the holes. The finished result? Clean, clear, powerful bass. It sounds like I had originally intended. I do still have the desire to create an entirely new box though so I can include my capacitor, DSP (and Nitrous ) which I realized I will need. I also just bought some 3.5" Dayton woofers to run in the factory location. I'm going to buy a 3-way crossover (more powerful than the Morel 2-ways) and run a true 3 way front component setup. So I just need some tweeter cups now. Stay tuned.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 PM
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Sweet! I didn't think that 10w7 would let you down!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

UPDATE!!
Switched to a 3 way component set. Basically added 2 Dayton 4" mid-drivers and an Audiopipe 3 way crossover. All in all, it was right around $110 to upgrade. All I can say is it was WELL WORTH IT! The off axis orientation of the tweeters prior to the upgrade made the high sound muted. Now they're pointed right at me. What a difference! Oh yeah, that and the additional mid-drivers. Those things get after it. For such a cheap speaker, you'd be remiss not to buy one...or 4 LOL. So, initial impressions are it was exactly what I was missing. I'm happy at the way she sounds and I'm going to hold off on a DSP for now until I get some break in time on the setup. Overall, super excited.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Callaway DrDon
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

UPDATE!!
Switched to a 3 way component set. Basically added 2 Dayton 4" mid-drivers and an Audiopipe 3 way crossover. All in all, it was right around $110 to upgrade. All I can say is it was WELL WORTH IT! The off axis orientation of the tweeters prior to the upgrade made the high sound muted. Now they're pointed right at me. What a difference! Oh yeah, that and the additional mid-drivers. Those things get after it. For such a cheap speaker, you'd be remiss not to buy one...or 4 LOL. So, initial impressions are it was exactly what I was missing. I'm happy at the way she sounds and I'm going to hold off on a DSP for now until I get some break in time on the setup. Overall, super excited.
Good to hear you finally found the sound you were looking for.
I have really enjoyed my new system, worth all the time, effort and money.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Ronin, any pics of your 3 ways installed? I'm curious to see where you put the speakers.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM
TheProsecutor
CF Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I am highly considering the Dayton Audio RS100-4 for midrange drivers. Installing them above the midbass drivers.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 PM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
Ronin, any pics of your 3 ways installed? I'm curious to see where you put the speakers.
3 way...hard to see, but the tweet pod is just above the drivers side AC vent. Dayton 4" woofers in stock location. Added tweeter pods. Not permanent yet (mounted with Velcro). Having tweeter pods made.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 AM
VinceC5
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

great job! i'm inspired to get off my a$$, ignore the heat and finish my install...
Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 AM
Jackson2048

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up, thanks
Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 PM
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member

Thanks man.
Another UPDATE:
Once the speakers have broken in...I realized I'm on the right path. The Morels have proven to be the weak link. The $25 Dayton's are shining well beyond the Morels. So, I'm going to replace the 6.5" woofer with another Dayton product and gong to replace the tweeters with some Audiofrog GB15's. Once that's done, I'm going to see how she sounds and then MAYYYYBE get a DSP.
The following users liked this post:
DNAST1 (09-29-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:32 PM
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
Trying to research DSP's to try and find one that is user friendly for a newbie and cost effective can make your head spin. It might be easier to just go to another head unit brand. I was reading this article from carstereochick.

http://www.carstereochick.com/2018/0...alpine-review/

Towards the bottom she discusses the units with the best sound quality and mentions Kenwood and Alpine as being superior to other brands.

As far as DSP's on a budget, I saw the JL Audio TwK 88. It goes for about $430, but still so many questions about what the end result would be.

Damn! This article should be a sticky at the top. This was my experience to a tee!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finished my install!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: