Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

xm radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
BigB72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default xm radio

Ok I have a Pioneer touchscreen aftermarket radio that I put in last year and I was looking at adding an xm radio to my car. The radio is xm ready but when I looked at the part that I need to connect to the radio is looks like it comes with an antenna. Do I have to use that antenna or will the stock antenna work since the stock radio had XM already on it?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:20 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Quick answer, you can re-use the cars existing antenna.

The long answer, you still need to buy the Sirius/Xm tuner and attach it to the back of your head unit. You can not re-use the existing factory tuner. To re-use the antenna, you will need to buy a 10ft Sirius/Xm antenna extension cable, available on amazon ($12), and run it from your new tuner to the factory tuner located above the rear drivers side wheel well and attach it there.

My opinion, I tried it and the reception wasn't good for me. I also tried placing the antenna that came with the tuner in a couple of different locations and the reception was still bad, and I ended up cancelling Sirius/Xm on my vette. I'm not sure if it was my location, the car, or anything else. But I know I am not the only person unhappy with Xm reception in a vette with an aftermarket head unit.

Here is a thread done by our former forum audio guy that will show you the steps to re-use the factory antenna.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 06-08-2018, 01:32 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I put a JVC HU in my 99 and installed the SiriusXM unit behind the HU. I ran the XM antenna lead from the rear of the car to behind the HU and placed the small antenna on one of the rear brake light buckets. Works great and I do not lose reception.

Jim
Old 06-08-2018, 01:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
I put a JVC HU in my 99 and installed the SiriusXM unit behind the HU. I ran the XM antenna lead from the rear of the car to behind the HU and placed the small antenna on one of the rear brake light buckets. Works great and I do not lose reception.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Based on recommendations from another thread, I tried running the antenna to inside the rear bumper area using a magnet to attach it to the steel bumper, but it still didn't improve my reception much. I'm not sure why some of us seem to have problems with this. I don't know if it's a C6 thing.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 06-08-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:09 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Quick answer, you can re-use the cars existing antenna.
My opinion, I tried it and the reception wasn't good for me. I also tried placing the antenna that came with the tuner in a couple of different locations and the reception was still bad, and I ended up cancelling Sirius/Xm on my vette. I'm not sure if it was my location, the car, or anything else. But I know I am not the only person unhappy with Xm reception in a vette with an aftermarket head unit.
I agree!
I spent hours over a year or so trying different Sirius antenna locations all around my C5. The best reception was mounting the supplied Sirius antenna on the outside top center of my coupe's rear hatch.
But after a couple of years and thousands of dropped signals, I canceled my subscription. Left the radio and antenna in the car just never used it again.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 PM
SRQ Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Skip the XM radio receiver and the XM antenna. Get the Sirius XM app on your phone and connect it to your head unit via Bluetooth. It works great.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:04 PM
Rbee775
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by SRQ Vette
Skip the XM radio receiver and the XM antenna. Get the Sirius XM app on your phone and connect it to your head unit via Bluetooth. It works great.
This is what I did. Allowed me to keep the original Bose system. It cost me $15.

Get notified of new replies

To xm radio

Quick Reply: xm radio