Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LoJack or OnStar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts
Default LoJack or OnStar?

Just reading about a member's C7, which had been stolen. I find it amazing that the technology of the C7 is easily defeated, but not surprised. There are plenty of ways to mitigate being stolen, but after? I would have been sure that OnStar would at least give a history of locations...? Last known? Sure, pull the battery...but that's after it's been stolen. It doesn't seem to be the case.
Did some research on LoJack. I had it installed in a 1999 300M (in 1999) because at the time, my patrol car had the LoJack receiver. I believed in it; with only 2 recoveries in the 5yrs I had the receiver, but still believed in it. However, doesn't it also run on the car battery? Doesn't LoJack require clear skies/satellite for GPS? No "last known"? I've tried researching, just not finding anything. LoJack has moved with the times and now has an App.
Cost: after the initial cost and installation, I never paid a subscription on my LoJack ... OnStar has cheap plans.

I guess, between trying to mitigate theft and trying to hasten recovery...it's a matter of minutes before signal is lost again. OnStar notifies me if the alarm goes off, not sure what else is does. It dang sure won't notify me if the crooks use signal siphoning to a key, then using the key to start and drive away. If the crooks want it, they'll take it. Whether they're fast enough to block / disable OnStar or LoJack, that's their risk.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm interested in this too. I suppose Lojack is hidden so the thieves wouldn't know it was installed?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWillys
I'm interested in this too. I suppose Lojack is hidden so the thieves wouldn't know it was installed?
When I had it installed (at my work!), even I didn't know where it was. After about 10min, I gave up and the tech showed me. Clever. Still...it seemed to run off the car's power / battery.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:39 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

LoJack or Onstar? I say neither one. If my car gets stolen, I don't want it back.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
LoJack or Onstar? I say neither one. If my car gets stolen, I don't want it back.
I'd love to get it back before they trash it. Still, it'd depend on the condition after recovery. The 2 I did recover were just teen joy riders...unfortunately, they trashed the interior pretty good and my guess they abused the drivetrain, which they denied.

Get notified of new replies

To LoJack or OnStar?

Quick Reply: LoJack or OnStar?