Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Draw test on c6

Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
Okay, i tested both cars

mine, 2008 mn6, targa
aftermarket equipment
pioneer radio, pac harness, back up camera, pdx 5ch amp, sirius.....no factory amp/radio

his 2010, auto, convertible
pioneer radio, pac harness, back up camera, sirius, and a dash cam (which is run off the pac interface acc)

all measurements done with an old craftsmen meter, and backed up with my new, TRMS milwaukee meter on the mA scale (didn't want to damage the nice one, also the craftsmen could do 20amp while the milwaukee was only 10)

initial battery unhook
Mine his
.18-.21 .50-.56

15 minutes to sleep
.03-.04 .06-.08

unplugged aftermarket, no radio connected at all
.02-.03 .04-.06

oem radio connected
n/a .04-.05

based on the MECP accepted amount of parasitic draw of .035mA, mine is a bit over the accepted amount, and his is almost double. neither are daily drivers (mine has 32k, his 11k miles) Mine sits fully connected to a battery tender, and my battery has been fine since i swapped a few years ago. Customer leaves it connected, and claims battery tender, but what he described is nothing like the ones I ever saw. I wasn't paid for a full trouble shoot, so no pulling fuses to see why his is more than mine. I may look into mine more throughly when it gets warmer, but I am not too concerned. I checked both cars throughout the day, but only posted what seemed important.

also, why i was at it, i did an ac ripple test on mine, and got 250mV, so good on that end. I did however have quite a bit of rust on my negative terminal, and about 200 ohms between terminal and wire, so I cut it off and put a kicker top mount battery terminal. Looks better and should get more flow. Curious to see what you guys are getting.
Good data , will do mine soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Draw test on c6