Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Better speakers.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:45 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Better speakers.

Greetings,
I have been following this forum for quite sometime. I see there are many who know what they are talking about and I have learned much from these threads. Now I have my own question on speakers. I have a 98 coupe. I installed the following components a while ago

https://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/excelon/ddx9904s/
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/amplifiers/kac-7005ps/
10 inch Pioneer sub and box from Dennis at DD when he was around. I am not certain the model.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RN02nw...Audio-L65.html
Also have Lightning Audio (I believe) 3 way component in the doors. No model number and could not find an image on google.

I really enjoy music. My sub is way to punchy for me and would really like to match new speakers to the head unit and amp. I am truly a noob with all this fine tuning. The amp has many adjustments I will be playing with to get the punchiness out of the sub. Either I have no clue what I am doing (which is true) or my speakers really suck. Can anyone recommend front and rear speakers for this setup. If I can get out the door around $200.00 on speakers that would be a plus.

The speakers came with the car and a single din pioneer. I believe the owner had best buy install it. I tore everything apart and and added all new wiring, sub, head unit, backup cam and amp. I am assuming the speakers were paired with the original Pioneer head unit and that is my problem.

Thank you in advance for any input.

EDIT: I forgot to mention most of my playback is lossless. .flac etc. I can listen to anything from old school rock to classical. I will say when playing Chicago Im a man (studio version) I hear many more instruments that I do on my home system in the vette (pretty cool). So it cant be that bad. The issue I have is some music sounds o.k. at loud volumes others is just distorted. I have played around with e.q and other settings but I just get frustrated.

Last edited by johnson333; 07-17-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-18-2019, 12:22 PM
mfi2000
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

As we have been talking about this month...tuning will determine. See if you can find a good shop to tune it for you. Then see.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mfi2000
As we have been talking about this month...tuning will determine. See if you can find a good shop to tune it for you. Then see.
Agreed. That was my next step. I just thought I can do better then the Audio Lightning speakers. Not sure they were sufficient for the amp. Thank you
Old 07-18-2019, 08:00 PM
mfi2000
Pro

Ok..tried looking up lightning audio..no go..so
I put jl speakers in my vert and they sound good and were around 300 for both front and rears...go to crutchfield and see what fits..my rears i had to use spacers ..they were a little too deep..if you change speakers and get a tune you should still be in your budget
Old 07-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

HU you have is a great one...the amp and speakers, not so much. That amp isn't very powerful at all. The speakers you're using are 4 ohm, so you're only getting 40W RMS to them (which is their max rated power anyway). So the current amp/speaker setup is matched...AND maxxed out. So if you want more, you need more amp and speakers. For a large speaker 6.5-8" typically, you should be in the 100-150W RMS range. This is why your combo sound "lacking" especially if playing FLAC files. If your sub is "punchy" it's a input, output, or EQ issue. I'm assuming no external DSP, but your HU is quite capable of doing some great adjusting. So tuning from the HU is a viable option until it doesn't meet your needs.

What kind of budget are you looking to spend? New amp and speakers are in order I think.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 07-19-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 AM
johnson333
Safety Car

Ok..tried looking up lightning audio..no go..so
I put jl speakers in my vert and they sound good and were around 300 for both front and rears...go to crutchfield and see what fits..my rears i had to use spacers ..they were a little too deep..if you change speakers and get a tune you should still be in your budget
I think Lightning Audio is made by Rockford Fosgate. I was talking to a rep from crutchfield about my situation and she was pretty clueless.

Thank you
Old 07-19-2019, 11:15 AM
johnson333
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
HU you have is a great one...the amp and speakers, not so much. That amp isn't very powerful at all. The speakers you're using are 4 ohm, so you're only getting 40W RMS to them (which is their max rated power anyway). So the current amp/speaker setup is matched...AND maxxed out. So if you want more, you need more amp and speakers. For a large speaker 6.5-8" typically, you should be in the 100-150W RMS range. This is why your combo sound "lacking" especially if playing FLAC files. If your sub is "punchy" it's a input, output, or EQ issue. I'm assuming no external DSP, but your HU is quite capable of doing some great adjusting. So tuning from the HU is a viable option until it doesn't meet your needs.

What kind of budget are you looking to spend? New amp and speakers are in order I think.
Yes no external DSP. I would say $800- $1000 budget. I did like the 5 channel amp for ease of access of wiring. I would spend $300-$400 on speakers now.

Thank you
Old 07-19-2019, 12:09 PM
mfi2000
Pro

They make 5 channel amps with DSP built in now..
Old 07-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

My next question is what are all of your speaker sizes? And also, what sub are you running?
Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

My next question is what are all of your speaker sizes? And also, what sub are you running?
These in the rear https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RN02nw...Audio-L65.html
The fronts are Lightning Audio 6 inch (2 way if i remember correctly) and 3 inch tweet. There is no model number to find. I believe Best Buy put them in from what the previous owner said. A real crappy job hung in the doors with aluminum straps. I have the adapter plates I will use for the new speakers when I get them. The sub is a 10 inch Pioneer in a custom built box that goes into the storage well. I do not know the model number. I do plan on pulling the sub and speakers as soon as this heat subsides to a decent temperature.

Thank you
Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

All speakers are 6.5"s? Can you post a pic of the sub? I maybe able to help you figure out the model of it.

I would spend $500 of your budget on a JL XD 700/5v2 and replace all your speakers with 2 ohm models. That will give you 100W RMS per channel and 300W RMS for your sub. Should be plenty more power and not break the bank, not to mention, it's a TON of power in a TINY amp. Once we figure out what sub you got, we can move further towards reaching your goal.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:19 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

All speakers are 6.5"s? Can you post a pic of the sub? I maybe able to help you figure out the model of it.

I would spend $500 of your budget on a JL XD 700/5v2 and replace all your speakers with 2 ohm models. That will give you 100W RMS per channel and 300W RMS for your sub. Should be plenty more power and not break the bank, not to mention, it's a TON of power in a TINY amp. Once we figure out what sub you got, we can move further towards reaching your goal.
What speakers would you recommend for the JL XD 700/5v2? I was thinking of purchasing the speakers first and the amp in a few months. I am a noob, this was my first full install.Nonetheless I take criticism well.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 PM
mfi2000
Pro

Focals are top rated...ill be looking into those next year.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

Did you ever figure out what sub I have? If not, that will be coming out in a few days.

Here are some new pics. I started on the adapter plates. The door speakers are 2 way, I had to dremel out the adapter to fit the speaker. I believe I messed up and used the wrong solder to connect the twiddler. I have no sound from it.. Here is the solder.

Other pics

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank all of you for your replies.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2019, 08:47 PM
mfi2000
Pro

Solder shouldnt affect it.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

This is the sub you have:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...nt/TS-SW2502S4

It's not a bad shallow sub, and you're driving it with the right amount of power. What this means is that if that is not enough sub for you (meaning you want more bass), you will need another sub and more power...or a bigger sub and more amp. But you mentioned it was "too punchy" for you which to me means you need to EQ it. I would also need to know your signal sine wave...IE making sure your HU is not sending a clipped signal. Good news is this is all part of "tuning."

As far as the tweeter goes, where does the other end of the wire go to? Are you running a crossover? Direct into the amp? I didn't see X-overs in any of the pics. If you send a full signal to a tweet, you can kill it in seconds. So far man...don't spend a dollar on parts yet (even on the amp I recommended). It sounds like all you need is tuning. You won't know if 40-50W on the speakers isn't enough until you tune it. Got any good audio shops in the area?

Side note, do you have any sound deadening in the car?

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 07-22-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

This is the sub you have:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...nt/TS-SW2502S4

It's not a bad shallow sub, and you're driving it with the right amount of power. What this means is that if that is not enough sub for you (meaning you want more bass), you will need another sub and more power...or a bigger sub and more amp. But you mentioned it was "too punchy" for you which to me means you need to EQ it. I would also need to know your signal sine wave...IE making sure your HU is not sending a clipped signal. Good news is this is all part of "tuning."

As far as the tweeter goes, where does the other end of the wire go to? Are you running a crossover? Direct into the amp? I didn't see X-overs in any of the pics. If you send a full signal to a tweet, you can kill it in seconds. So far man...don't spend a dollar on parts yet (even on the amp I recommended). It sounds like all you need is tuning. You won't know if 40-50W on the speakers isn't enough until you tune it. Got any good audio shops in the area?

Side note, do you have any sound deadening in the car?
I am not certain what signal wave is. I will do my research on this. The other end of the tweeter wire is soldered to the 6" door speaker terminals in the door. There is no crossovers. The speakers are all wired directly to the amp. I believe I have a decent shop around here who can tune it. I also do not have any sound deadening as of yet.

Thank you.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Better speakers.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 PM
mfi2000
Pro

No xover...hmmm..doesn't sound right...poor tweeters are getting same signal as the mid woofer...unless there is some kind of internal xover.
unless you have these: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBAbDQ...dio-L65-S.html
which do have an internal crossover.
Crossover: Each tweeter has an integrated 6 dB/octave high-pass crossover, simplifying installation.

Wiring: Each woofer has two sets of wire terminals, shorted together. The tweeter wire connects to one set and the amplifier to the other.

yes I'm sitting at work ..bored...lol

Last edited by mfi2000; 07-23-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

No xover...hmmm..doesn't sound right...poor tweeters are getting same signal as the mid woofer...unless there is some kind of internal xover.
unless you have these: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBAbDQ...dio-L65-S.html
which do have an internal crossover.
Crossover: Each tweeter has an integrated 6 dB/octave high-pass crossover, simplifying installation.

Wiring: Each woofer has two sets of wire terminals, shorted together. The tweeter wire connects to one set and the amplifier to the other.

yes I'm sitting at work ..bored...lol

They sure do look the same. The last time I did this I could not find a model number on the speaker. Th will be doing the passenger side in the next few days. I will see if there is a model number.

Thank you
Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
mfi2000
Pro

Check the back of the tweeter..might see some kind of crossover back there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better speakers.