Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Stock Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1, if i read correctly some of you are using the 3pt AND the 6pt at the SAME time? This is not good. Any harnessing mechanism should have 1 release latch.

#2, NASA just disallowed the use of sternum straps for the same reason. 1 button release.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Many Clubs are now requiring that race harness must be installed on seats designed for use with race harness. And the harnesses must be routed though the proper holes in the seats.

ie Race seats and race harness. No modifications of stock seats.

Glad to see the NASA new tech rules on Race harness.

No sternum straps, as there needs to be ONE release mechanism
Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by sefa01
I have two cars with stock seats--a 2004 CTS-V and a 2006 C6 Z06--that have aftermarket seat belts, 5-point on the CTS-V and 6-point on the Corvette (both installed by Joe Casella). While I agree that I would be safer with "proper" seats, I use these cars on the street much more than on the track. I certainly feel more secure and safer with the aftermarket belts at the track than I do with the 3-points. In the past 4 years, I've run more than 25 PDA events in the Cady and half a dozen in the Corvette. But if your policy is that strict, I think I'll just run the non-NASA PDA events, along with SCDA, Trackmasters, Chin, etc.
There are harness belts out there that are not DOT-certified for street use (IIRC, Simpson is one that states their harnesses are not DOT certified). And some states do not accept a harness belt arrangement for satisfying mandatory seat belt laws.

Washington State is that way; state law prohibits the use of multi-point harnesses for street use. Only the factory-installed belts are considered to be "legal".
Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyF-Dallas
Check this out for locating you harness with stock seats.

http://www.koolmat.com/race.shtml

thedickstrap
“A shoulder belt holder
for the secure Racing Guy”
For Corvette, Porsche & Nopi Racing Part. #09028

For the Racer to secure shoulder belt harness while road or drag racing. No need to purchase an expensive racing seat, just slip “thedickstrap” over the center of the seat (face logo forward) and run straps through left and right side straps. Holds shoulder straps in place for racing so you can reach them. Remove and store when not in use. “ The Strap you can depend on!”
Featuring : flexible, smoother, more versatile, some adjustment, and responsive. Color: Black - Used for all production single seater type harness systems.
Available thru dealers! Retail $49.95 each
Also……it may fit your race car, try it today!
Gentlemen get your straps!
Not to be used as a safety harness, only for belt location.
That looks so simple and logical. Why would it not work? Seems like a quick way to get you harnessed in until you can get a real seat.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stZ
This is what I did for temporary use. I had tried to install an OMP, but I did not have enough head room. So still looking for other option. But this stock converted set up is doing just fine for me for now. I also continue to used the seat belt added to my harness.

How can one say this is not as safe as a race seat? I can understand that many folks come in with some pretty hacked out stuff, but this is a well thought out and put together system. Like this gentleman, I also have a problem with a 2LZ C6Z in that you can't replace the stock seat (airbag issue) without buying a Carravagio which is STILL not even a race seat. I would not want to spend $1200 per seat just to get 2 holes for harnesses? As far as the stock seat breaking, we'll I used a set of sparco's for about 4 years and to be honest, they were much flimsier than the stock seat. The fiberglass would creak and crack all the time under my 200lb weight.

I can understand PDA needing to be concerned about some kid in and EVO coming in with some hack up design, but you guys have to give the C6Z guys a little bit of a break. We literally have no choice in the matter and are TRYING to do the best we can. If the seat is going to break, we'll if I have a 3 point harness or a 6 point, not sure what difference it will make?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=95jersey;1564367863]

I can understand PDA needing to be concerned about some kid in and EVO coming in with some hack up design, but you guys have to give the C6Z guys a little bit of a break. QUOTE]

You C6Z guys wish you had the Evo seats...they're legal and probably the best stock seats on the market. If Chevy could only learn about the seats...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

With a car like the Corvette the seat back breaking is not the issue that it would be in a car with a back seat designed where the seat can fold back. Cheap aftermarket seats that may have seat belt slots built into the seat are not going to be any better than a modified stock seat. The slot is just a guide for the harness. Proper belt installation is very importation
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by exracer28
With a car like the Corvette the seat back breaking is not the issue that it would be in a car with a back seat designed where the seat can fold back. Cheap aftermarket seats that may have seat belt slots built into the seat are not going to be any better than a modified stock seat. The slot is just a guide for the harness. Proper belt installation is very importation
Exactly my point! The slot is there as a guide for the harness, it requires no structural integrity itself.

I do agree as well that EVO seats are better...heck seats out of Honda Accord are better!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Most clubs follow the PCA and BMW tech rules.

IF your going to buy an 80K car, to take to the track. Get some real seats for your safety too.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Most clubs follow the PCA and BMW tech rules.

IF your going to buy an 80K car, to take to the track. Get some real seats for your safety too.
PCA and BMW do not allow you to run harnesses around a stock seat (for fear of spreading apart), but they do allow harnesses to pass through the seat if your stock seat allows such or has been modified to allow the pass through. What about cars like Sub's and Evo's that do have factory holes in their seats. Should they be banned since they are not a race seat? Like I said, getting a seat in a 2LZ C6Z is just more than spending $500 on a race seat, otherwise we would be doing it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,933 Likes on 5,335 Posts

One thing to remember when using the stock belts is the cinch feature GM provided. This allows the driver to get the lap belt tight enough to hold the lower body in place before heading out onto the track/course and the shoulder belt (at least on my two C5s) usually locks tightly into place as soon as the car accelerates quickly (as in coming out of pit lane). Admittedly, it isn't the same as having two belts over the shoulder but it is pretty close. I have run my C5 with stock belts, race harnesses going around the seat with a sternum strap to hold them in place and with the harnesses going through the seat back after I converted the seats to sport seat style. There truly wasn't that much difference due to the lack of leg support from the seat. Even with a complete harness the stock seat doesn't provide enough support for the legs so you are still bracing yourself against the door and console with your legs. Due to that lack of leg support I went to an Ultrashield seat which when installed properly keeps my legs in place and allows me to ride in the car Vs wedging myself into the car although it is taking some retraining on my part to keep legs down and in the seat.

As for race harnesses putting a vertical downward force on the stock seat when in a head on I doubt that would do much to the seat back as the hole in the seat frame is quite large and all that vertical force would do is compress some leather/vinyl/foam.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-05-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Steve L
Racer

Originally Posted by 95jersey
PCA and BMW do not allow you to run harnesses around a stock seat (for fear of spreading apart), but they do allow harnesses to pass through the seat if your stock seat allows such or has been modified to allow the pass through. What about cars like Sub's and Evo's that do have factory holes in their seats. Should they be banned since they are not a race seat? Like I said, getting a seat in a 2LZ C6Z is just more than spending $500 on a race seat, otherwise we would be doing it.
So why is it so hard to put a race seat in your car ?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

What I have discovered trying to make a "street / track" car is all of the compromises that are required.

Unfortunately, most of those compromises involve safety. There is equipment that is required to be safe on the track that is not safe for driving on the street and vice-versa.

When your life and potentially the lives of others are involved, why risk it for a few bucks?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Steve L
Racer

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
What I have discovered trying to make a "street / track" car is all of the compromises that are required.

Unfortunately, most of those compromises involve safety. There is equipment that is required to be safe on the track that is not safe for driving on the street and vice-versa.

When your life and potentially the lives of others are involved, why risk it for a few bucks?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR

That is also the big challenge for all of us. HP adders are Sexy. Safety items are not sexy but smart.

One car to do double duty, track events AND street driving is almost becomes more and more difficult to do.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve L
So why is it so hard to put a race seat in your car ?
A C6Z06 with the 2LZ option has side impact airbags in the seats themselves. Removal of the either seats, has several significant consequences. First, it shuts down the entire saftey airbag system in the car and causes a massive set of codes on the dashboard. Then it locks the steering wheel and disables the columns telescoping ability. From here on in some cars, depending on build date, consequences are not all the same. Some have reported the car was unable to be driven, other report the above and minor headaches. Some report the car goes into handicap mode. Either way, it's UGLY and could be a big liability issue in the event of a crash. I am highly against disabling airbags and the cars built in saftey systems to satifsy some rule about harness passing through a seat grommets. Which do you think is the worse evil?

This is a very highly documented issue in the C6Z forum. This is also why the Carravaggio seats have become so popular. Apparently, they have developed a seat with an adapter that tricks the system. So, as long as you have $2000'ish per seat (not even real race seats), then you can get harnesses through the top of the seats. Also, the consequences beyond just the airbag system are not entirely known.

Most cars have side airbags in the pillars, only the Corvette I as I can tell has them in the seat, so this is a C6Z 2LZ only phenomina. I am not preppared to spend $2000 per seat to fix an electronic nanny. I actually find the stock seats ok, if they just had holes for some harnesses to pass through like the old C5 sport seats. So I can appreciate you need to make sure a design is safe, but the next time you see a C6Z with custom harness holes in the stock seats (maybe mine), this is why. I would hope that you would at least inspect their safety and allow me to run with at least this protection vs a stock seat belt in a 600hp monster. People run harness with stock seats all the time, two well placed and professionally installed grommets should not have an impact on saftey, if anything, they improve it.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm readying my 94 for the HPDE season and stumbled on this thread.

Can someone direct me to the relevant sections of the NASA GCR?

My brother and I have read and reread the NASA rules and can find no specific reference to harnesses with a race seat only or the single release rule as mentioned in this thread.

We have a roll bar with a 5 point harness with sternum strap using the stock seat. We also have a seat back brace. We have run NASA, PDA, and PCA events with no problems so far.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Converting Stock Seats

Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

The policy of stock seat/stock belts and race seat/race belts is not currently in the NASA NATIONAL GCR,however this type of requirement can and is being instituted by the separate regions nationwide,NASA Northeast being one of the first.
Dave Deerson
NASA Northeast Tech
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve L
Have you seen a stock seat in a c5 after the car has hit the wall on the track ! we had one at Pocono , the seat bent like a pretzel , and he had harness . All you have have to do is lean back hard enough on a stock seat and it will bend. If you are in the stock seat and seat is not against the harness bar and the seat moves in an accident the belts will become lose and you will not be secure in your seat anymore. If you just buy a inexpensive Kirkey seat you will be alot safer and secure then the stock Corvette seat. It would take 10 or 15 min. to change them out .

In PDA/NASA all stock seats with harnesses will be inspected by tech and it will either be passed or failed. This is our new rule for the 2008 season. If your harnesses do not pass with your stock seat set up you will be forced to use your stock seat belts, as they have been designed to work together.
Only partly true. A kirkey will bend like a pretzel. Metal seats need to be supported. FIA plastic seats are ok unsupported for a fixed number of years like belts. Old plastic seats need to be supported.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Deerson
sefa01,
You're going to see the rest of the track-event clubs adopting this type of standard.PCA,BMW club,Viper Club and others already use this type of "strict" standard.It falls under a liability issue.You may use a hybred setup and be fine but should there ever be an injury or fatality then lawers will be all over the sanctioning body for "allowing" such a restraint system.A possibility may be to have a driver restraint/safety waiver putting the onus of responsibility on the driver/owner should any injury/death result from any shortcomings of the installed sytem.This may be the best solution,what are your feelings?

Dave D.
I vote waiver and makes sure it includes family members, make everyone sign the damn thing! People live and people die but according to lawyers we all live forever!

Quick Reply: Converting Stock Seats