Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Stock Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
The above is also the 2008 PCA policy. If you want harnesses, you must have seats originally designed for for harnesses. Modified stock seats are not allowed. The starter will also flag you if they see you enter the track with a harness and the stock belt system employed.

2007 was a test year, now in 2008 the PCAs are not letting ppl that have harness on stock seats drive. Must have a seat designed for the harness system.

If you have stock seats, you use the stock belts.

In descussion with several PCA Chief Inspectors, this is not a moot point. it is THEIR WAY or the HIGHWAY.

It is more then just modification stock seats with pass though for belts. Those stock seats are not designed to be used that way.

In many cases the stock harness may be safer then harness on stock seats.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

After reading the PCA regs on harnesses and race seats, I was sort of confused on the part regarding inatallation of the sub belt (5-point harness). It stated that the sub belt had to be installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

But it didn't really say if it was the seat makers or the belt makers recommendations. I assumed that there must be a hole in the seat for a sub belt, but what is a typical (or recommended) installation method for attaching that belt? Should it bolt to the floor or to a bracket on the seat itself?

PCA has a number of events at PIR in Portland OR that would be fun to do so I'll wind up installing race seats. Knowing up front what has to be done for a sub belt install would be a big help so I don't get bounced at tech.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Sub belts though the hole(s) in the seat bottom and bolted to the frame of the car. Look at you harness manufactures recommended mounting instructions.

Read the seat manufactures instructions for install the seats, and read the harness manufactures instructions for the harnesses.

Both should be on line for the seats and harness.

I have several. PDF files by manufactures if needed.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Finsihed the Install of my Kirkey Deluxe Race seats with Hardbarusa seat rails this this week.

To be honest I cant believe I waited this long. Everyone that has passed through the shop has sat in them and cannot believe how comfortable they are and how SAFE you feel compared to the stock seats.

I am moving seats up on my recommended list of RR mods.

Workin on the Placement is the hardest part of this install. I pulled the seat out probably 15 times and made adjustments. This picture is around 5 and it changed alot from this

Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just imagine how much more secure you'll feel going into turn 1 or 11 at the Glenn this year with those seats!This is what we're trying to get the drivers who go many track days to understand.
It will only improve your driving(no need to concentrate on staying put in the seat),be safer in general,make you look younger,thinner,more attractive and the chicks will dig them!Although your results may vary!

Dave D.
NASA Northeast Tech
Old 03-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Dave Deerson
Just imagine how much more secure you'll feel going into turn 1 or 11 at the Glenn this year with those seats!This is what we're trying to get the drivers who go many track days to understand.
It will only improve your driving(no need to concentrate on staying put in the seat),be safer in general,make you look younger,thinner,more attractive and the chicks will dig them!Although your results may vary!

Dave D.
NASA Northeast Tech
until they see me trying to get out of the car. I have to learn to get over the side edges otherwise they are going to ask Who is the old guy that cant get out of his car
Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This looks well commented on but to add my two cents...I know several C6 racers that have modified their stock seats to use a harness. In fact, I have an appointment at a local upholstery shop to have slots put into my seat (they sew them up nicely). The harness belts come-through the seat-backs right at the seam (on the C6 seats). I'll put my Brey-Krause harness bar in a few days later.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:44 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Might want to check with any sanctioning bodies where you will run beforehand. I have read where some bodies will not accept stock seats that have been modified like you are planning. Maybe not a big deal, but checking first might save some money and hassle.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:14 PM
99coop
5th Gear

Default does a Sparco Evo 2plus fit in a C5 coupe?

I'm 6'4" tall, with tall torso, and have a harness going through the slot in the seat back of my C5. I'm really not comfortable with the idea that the shoulder belts could push down on me in case of a crash and crush my spine. So I need a seat with slots higher up in the seat back. I read about the Sparco Evo 2+, but haven't found a local dealer that has it in stock. Has anyone tried fitting the Evo 2+ in a C5 coupe?

Also, I have aa Autopower race bar with the shoulder belts attached to the lower tube. I'm thinking that's too low for my torso height. What would be a safe way to raise the belts up to shoulder level?

http://www.gforce.com/pdf/harnessinstall.pdf has a description and pictures of proper harness installation.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Steve L
Racer

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Finsihed the Install of my Kirkey Deluxe Race seats with Hardbarusa seat rails this this week.

To be honest I cant believe I waited this long. Everyone that has passed through the shop has sat in them and cannot believe how comfortable they are and how SAFE you feel compared to the stock seats.

I am moving seats up on my recommended list of RR mods.

Workin on the Placement is the hardest part of this install. I pulled the seat out probably 15 times and made adjustments. This picture is around 5 and it changed alot from this

Hi Bob , just wait and see how much more comfortable and not to mention safer you will be out there on the track . This is the same setup I have in my car and it is night and day out on the track .With the race seat you no longer have to fight to stay in place and therefore more comfortable driving . Hopefully others will realize this is the way to go and put in proper safety equipment , it not only helps you with safety, but comfort as well .
Old 03-15-2008, 07:38 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
If they really want to slow things down, they need to ban R-compound tires.
While probably made in jest, I reeaally like this suggestion. R compound in HPDE 4 or time trial only sounds good.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RickF
While probably made in jest, I reeaally like this suggestion. R compound in HPDE 4 or time trial only sounds good.

many clubs do not allow R compounds in the novice and beginner classes.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Steve L
Racer

I agree ! This is something I have been working on . I think that novice and beginners need to first learn to drive on streets before going to R compound tires . Also if you are going to start modifying your cars you needed to think about the safety equipment too !
Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
bgx12
Advanced

Well, this caused quite a discussion. I just wanted to be able to convert my seats for my 6-8 HPDE's a year and a few lapping days.

If I choose to swap out the seats to fixed back racing seats for these weekends what seats do you recommend? I want a seat that will bolt on my mounting brackets(stock) if possible. Does anyone do that?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I DON'T LIKE IT YOU WANT TO LOOSE 3/4 THE HPDE3 GUYS?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Steve L
Racer

Originally Posted by bgx12
Well, this caused quite a discussion. I just wanted to be able to convert my seats for my 6-8 HPDE's a year and a few lapping days.

If I choose to swap out the seats to fixed back racing seats for these weekends what seats do you recommend? I want a seat that will bolt on my mounting brackets(stock) if possible. Does anyone do that?
Use the Hardbar setup with a Kirkey seat . This is what i have and it take about 10min. to switch on my stock seat for my race seat ! it's just 4 bolts !
Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 PM
bgx12
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve L
Use the Hardbar setup with a Kirkey seat . This is what i have and it take about 10min. to switch on my stock seat for my race seat ! it's just 4 bolts !
Does the adjustment work with a slide mechanisim?

Get notified of new replies

To Converting Stock Seats

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by bgx12
Does the adjustment work with a slide mechanisim?
No - it is fixed. I am weary of slides. I want that seat 100% stable and slides seem to go against that train of thought. This setup is not moving which IMHO means my harnesses have less chance of sliding off my shoulders in an accident.

At the end of the day once you get the seat in the correct spot you are not moving it anyway. I spent a bunch of hours getting the seat exactly where I wanted it, but now it is all of 10 mins to take it out and another 5 mins to put the stock back in.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
many clubs do not allow R compounds in the novice and beginner classes.
Novice and beginner I would say yes (HPDE3 and HPDE4 I would say r-compounds are ok).

I know I ran my first 6 months on stock tires before moving to a more aggressive tire. It was not a slick though that did not come for another year after that.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Headers cost how much? Good seat and mount cost? How many can install headers at home? Few without a lift PITA. How many can install seat at home? Many it is easy and low risk of problems with slight mechanically skill and few very basic tools.

I'll take a Kirkey and someone can take the headers on similar cars. I bet I will be in front of the car with headers with similar driver. Same with brakes I didn't know what I was missing till I had them. If your not getting a deep snug seat it won't hold you either running hard with slicks!

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-16-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Converting Stock Seats