Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day with pending rain/cold, Which tires???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans05C6
I have the Hawk Ceramic pads on my car right now for daily driving, should i switch to the cobalt race pads that i have for my race weekends or what should i do. I really need a middle of the road pad but i don't have those any more.
YES. Take those ceramic brake pads and toss them.

Unfortunate there are not any duel purpose pads.

now some of the CarboTech race pads CAN be driven on the street.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't change your brakes, leave on the street tires and be careful, work on your turn in points and smooth acceleration and braking. I have run my vette in the rain twice and both times I had fun, I was just sure to respect the track conditions.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 AM
flyloeZ06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well i have a track day at MSR cresson coming up tomorrow and Saturday. It is off and on rain today with rain in the forecast for the whole weekend. Sunday is only supposed to be up to 41 for a high so its never going to get warm on Sunday. Saturday is a high in the 60s.

I know rain is a good teacher, but am just wondering
How did things go this weekend at Cresson? Wondering what you decided to do?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Well when i went to change my brake pads i noticed my front tires were a bit low on tread but should have been OKAY maybe, but then the inside was worn down to nearly the cords and it showed in a few places so i didn't go at all. Definitly not worth the risk. My buddy went the first day for two sessions but then left.

Sunday would have been about 40 degrees and raining all day. I wouldn't have minded the practice in the rain but since it was that cold I am okay having missed it.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,399 Likes on 749 Posts

Went up and visited with an instructor friend of mine, he said everyone was just tiptoeing around. The newer, more technical section of the 3.1 course had some grip but very little runoff. The older section had more room for runoff but was super slick (not his words ). Good news was (as of Saturday afternoon) no one had hurt anything and fairly few number of offs.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Falken at Mid-Ohio ALMS 2011

http://www.falkentire.com/wegetyougoing/Events
Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when i went to change my brake pads i noticed my front tires were a bit low on tread but should have been OKAY maybe, but then the inside was worn down to nearly the cords and it showed in a few places so i didn't go at all. Definitly not worth the risk. My buddy went the first day for two sessions but then left.

Sunday would have been about 40 degrees and raining all day. I wouldn't have minded the practice in the rain but since it was that cold I am okay having missed it.
He shouldn't have left, the last two sessions were actually the best. My third session (I was there) the track started to dry out some and was able to actually get some speed on the lower (1.3) part of the track. The upper part of the track was just plain slippery than snot. Thought I was OK on the straight after Richocet and found out that while the car accelerated just fine it was still too wet to stop and I had a very nice "oh ****" moment as the ABS kicked in and I just "snow plowed right to the edge of the track. Managed to keep it on the track and continue but it was definitely a pucker moment. Said to my instructor, "guess it's not quite that dry yet".

I will say the one thing I got out of Saturday was a better feel for correcting the car quickly once you feel it get loose. I was waiting way too long to correct the car once it started to "depart" from traction.

Sunday...I bailed. 41 degrees and a constant rain, overcast and miserable did not look like fun.

Jay
Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Went up and visited with an instructor friend of mine, he said everyone was just tiptoeing around. The newer, more technical section of the 3.1 course had some grip but very little runoff. The older section had more room for runoff but was super slick (not his words ). Good news was (as of Saturday afternoon) no one had hurt anything and fairly few number of offs.

Have a good one,
Mike
The first session was like riding behind an old man in a caddy. Tip-toeing is an understatement. Didn't matter because the 1.7 was just so rediculously slick, you simply couldn't get any sort of speed into a corner or you would simply spin. I spun twice going 25 around a corner. You simply couldn't give the car ANY throttle until you were dead straight on and even then you better feather it very lightly.

I was tedious and tiresome. Worth the experience for one day, not two.

Jay
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 AM
AvidFan
Burning Brakes

I found running in the rain at Cresson last weekend a really useful learning experience since the car I used is fairly new to me and is also my daily driver. I just left my DD tires on and only had 2 times that the back end wanted to become unsettled. One entrance into rattlesnack was a little interesting and required some quick brake/throttle/brake footwork. I tend to be a little timid on corner entry speed anyway...something my instructor says we've got to work on some more when it's dry. It definitely required real throttle control, but was able to run almost the dry line on the 1.3 section of the course with a good amount of speed. After the second session on Saturday I learned how to set the car up to just drift through horseshoe on the 1.7 portion.

My husband gave up after 2 runs on Saturday because it was obvious he didn't have the tires to handle the conditions. What tires were you running on your Corvette that kept you on track? We're looking to purchase him some cold/wet tires before we head back in February.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

did you read the tire recommendation sections here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by AvidFan
I found running in the rain at Cresson last weekend a really useful learning experience since the car I used is fairly new to me and is also my daily driver. I just left my DD tires on and only had 2 times that the back end wanted to become unsettled. One entrance into rattlesnack was a little interesting and required some quick brake/throttle/brake footwork. I tend to be a little timid on corner entry speed anyway...something my instructor says we've got to work on some more when it's dry. It definitely required real throttle control, but was able to run almost the dry line on the 1.3 section of the course with a good amount of speed. After the second session on Saturday I learned how to set the car up to just drift through horseshoe on the 1.7 portion.

My husband gave up after 2 runs on Saturday because it was obvious he didn't have the tires to handle the conditions. What tires were you running on your Corvette that kept you on track? We're looking to purchase him some cold/wet tires before we head back in February.
I just put a set of Hanook RS3s on the car. Last weekend was the very first time running on those tires, haven't even had a chance to run them dry. Short of running tires coated in sand paper, nothing would keep me on the 1.7.

I also run a square setup 18x10.5, 285s all around. You have to turn off the AC/TC when you do this.

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 12-07-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
vvlf
Pro

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Very good advice...

They always say though, a wet track will show the best drivers because it shows how to handle a car in the worst conditions....just be aware of the risks involved in taking it out, especially with other cars on track.
Imagine racing a street bike on two tiny tires in the rain <- motoGP rainy days are
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Running in the rain sometimes forces me to be more adaptable......for example, sometimes I find more traction if I drive slightly off the line. It also makes me very aware of the advantages of driving smoothly (I tend to get spoiled with R-compound tires on dry tracks)......bad habits show up quickly!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,075 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I run Hoosiers if there are no puddles (light rain). But I had a very bad experience on Hoosiers on a 41 degree day. The Hoosiers were like driving on ice at that temp. It was a $20,000 lesson in tire choice. If it's wet and cold, I'd suggest street tires.
I remember that day. I happened to be about 4 seconds behind. That was a yucky time and the weather was HORRIBLE!! It actually makes me sad when I see that happen. That's right I said yucky!! LOL!!

All I know is that now after it's return the car has never been faster or better driven. Even Lainey is super fast in it!! Who says Z06's aren't easy to drive?? LOL!! I am so just kidding! She is very capable in that car.

I am with him on the street tire suggestion.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
As my friend Joe Aquilante of Phoenix Performance likes to say, "Nothing good ever happens in the rain". If it's a race and there are points or money at stake, those are reasons to run in the rain. For an HPDE, it's all downside and not an enjoyable experience. I skip HPDE's when it rains. I know you've probably paid your entry fee, but in comparison to a crash, is it really worth it to run? Going slow and safe is boring and as you ramp up the speed the risk increases exponentially.

That's my opinion, anyway...

Well said!

I loved racing in the rain when it was for $$ but crazy when it is for fun and you are paying.

Jim
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace

Well said!

I loved racing in the rain when it was for $$ but crazy when it is for fun and you are paying.

Jim
Never worth it unless you are getting $$$$. Park it & get a beer. The downside is major.

Quick Reply: Track day with pending rain/cold, Which tires???