Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand-alone or integrated oil-cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:35 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

"I daily drive this car, and track day maybe twice a year.
I live in Montana, and drive it when it's VERY cold."

Integrated cooler-heater. Note the VERY cold statement. Any way to use the 2009+ C6 or ZR1 cooler/heater?

Even the Improved Racing thermostat is not a great match for a separate cooler and stupid cold. And I am the original proponent.

Track car in a hot environment, I would defiantly say the largest stand alone you can fit. Its that cold dally driver thing. You need to be able to get oil warm enough to burn off moisture and alcohol.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 05-08-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I'm suggesting removing wire screens from bumper cover (ZO6) and installing these to capture cool outside air then route 3" hoses (2 each side) through front of radiator shroud providing additional cool air rather than bottom feeder. The openings on sides of license plate cove where the screens (ZO6) or plastic foglight housings (coupe) are located are useful to capture and channel ambient air for cooling. Here's an old thread where C5 owner fabricated vents to utilize the area for cooling and does an extraordinary job.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...unctional.html
Ooooh! I thought you meant from behind a license plate mounted oil cooler.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have had a stand alone oil cooler behind the front license plate area with cool air feeding it. On track use for last 4 years in FL summers of 98 degrees at the track and my oil temps are never higher than 235 with most of the time around 225.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:58 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
"I daily drive this car, and track day maybe twice a year.
I live in Montana, and drive it when it's VERY cold."

Integrated cooler-heater. Note the VERY cold statement. Any way to use the 2009+ C6 or ZR1 cooler/heater?

Even the Improved Racing thermostat is not a great match for a separate cooler and stupid cold. And I am the original proponent.

Track car in a hot environment, I would defiantly say the largest stand alone you can fit. Its that cold dally driver thing. You need to be able to get oil warm enough to burn off moisture and alcohol.
My poor car is extra screwed because my commute to work is about 4 minutes...

Unless I feel like letting my car warm up for 10+ minutes every morning in the winter, my oil only sees over 150* when I go out of town. I make it a point to cruise around for 30 min or so after work about once a week just to help burn some **** out of the oil. That's why I was keen on the idea of an integrated cooler, but apparently they're not great.

I thought about just bypassing the cooler by doubling the line back when I'm not tracking the car... but isn't that what a thermostat does?
I also like the idea of putting it behind my license plate. That way I can cover it up when I'm not tracking (front plate is required in Montana) then taking the front plate off when at the track.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:06 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

What about using both IOC and an external oil cooler, and plumbing them in series? You could pass the hot oil through the external cooler, then through the IOC in the radiator then return to the engine. If the temperature differentials are high enough between the external oil cooler and the radiator temps, it may help reduce some of the heat load on the radiator as cooler oil passes through the heat exchanger built into the radiator.

Quick Reply: Stand-alone or integrated oil-cooler?