C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 driving in the real world

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

There's not much I can add.
The 53-60 seats are virtually identical and are the least comfortable. Even though the interior structure of the 61-62 cars are physically almost identical to the 60-earlier cars, the 61-62 seats were totally redesigned. The provided more leg and head room because the seat frames go further back and sit lower, thus, they are the most comfortable and provide more sitting room than the 60-earlier seats.
I have driven the 56 for long distances and after a few hours, your body and joints do get stiff (Just the nature of living with the bease ).
In July of last year, I drove the 56 from Okla City to Bowling Green, KY for the SACC natl convention------------------literally in the rain alllllllllllllllllll the way there. Then back in the July heat all the way back! Like Roy Braatz above, I pull a small trailer. The car itself performed fine---------------the driver was a little ragged after the "adventure". I'd do it again!

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 03-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Tom I disagree , the 53-55 seats are bigger and wider and if we ever meet up you can drive my 55. Your the only other guy I know that uses his Corvette as a tow car besides my friend George in his 56 .
Here is my friend George and some other guy in a 57 towing ,cant remember who he was.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
There's not much I can add.
The 53-60 seats are virtually identical and are the least comfortable. Even though the interior structure of the 61-62 cars are physically almost identical to the 60-earlier cars, the 61-62 seats were totally redesigned. The provided more leg and head room because the seat frames go further back and sit lower, thus, they are the most comfortable and provide more sitting room than the 60-earlier seats.
I have driven the 56 for long distances and after a few hours, your body and joints do get still (Just the nature of living with the beast ). In July of last year, I drove the 56 from Okla City to Bowling Green, KY for the SACC natl convention------------------literally in the rain alllllllllllllllllll the way there. Then back in the July heat all the way back! Like Roy Braatz above, I pull a small trailer. The car itself performed fine---------------the driver was a little ragged after the "adventure". I'd do it again!

Tom Parsons
I think most on this thread are blaming the cars for our own short comings. I drive my 2010 Denali XL home every night, 30-40 minute drive and when I get out every joint hurts. I drive either of my 62 vettes out for the same time, pull a couple of hole shots and run the gears full throttle and and get home, I feel 22 again. What is with that????
Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetrod62
I think most on this thread are blaming the cars for our own short comings. I drive my 2010 Denali XL home every night, 30-40 minute drive and when I get out every joint hurts. I drive either of my 62 vettes out for the same time, pull a couple of hole shots and run the gears full throttle and and get home, I feel 22 again. What is with that????
Jim, you are a poet.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Oz's 59
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
We drive our 60 vette which is as stock as I can keep it, including bias ply tires, from Hinesville, Ga to Oswego, NY on a regular basis. It takes about 16 hours and the top is down most of the time, great fun.

Hey Bill, The Loop (Rudy's) re-open last Wednesday. Let me know when you're in Oswego & we'll have a "Meet & Eat". Marc
Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vetrod62
Sorry, that's supposed to be stiff, not still! I edited it.

Also, another thing that makes them stiff is the looooooooong flight over to Dublin!!! And we have to make the flight back Thur morning!
But, at least we're staying in a castle!

Tom Parsons
Old 01-23-2023, 08:49 PM
AwakeAtTheWheel
4th Gear

Default Looking to buy a c1 or c2 for dd

Hello, all you experinced,happy Vette owners! I am seeking a C1 or C2 as my 1st Vette, but am concerned, as I live on Long Island, not Florida. Question, please: What is the oldest model suitable for daily, local driving? I love super-vintage, but I must be practical. Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-24-2023, 01:31 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 982 Likes on 778 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
The answer to your question can only be answered by YOU.
It will require some research by you to define what you want. Both designs were used as dayley transportation and many still are.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:20 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Default Thanks Frankie,

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I took a 210 mile round trip in my bone stock '61 down the Eastern Florida coast to Rich5962's shop to pick up some NOS parts he was nice enough to sell me last week. Close to 4 hours and covered interstates, old Florida back roads and a stint across Rich's large grassy property. No problem, no back pain, it was bouncy at some point but not unacceptable. Now, driving top down, at speed, in the Florida sun and heat will wear your butt out in about an hour but that's nothing to do with the car.

Remember the Corvette suspension is the same one that was in most passenger cars in the '50s that your Mom used to haul the kids and groceries in with an occasional cross-country jaunt to Grandma's house.

I think age and lack of maintenance is what makes many modern driver's gripe. I routinely took 3 hour trips on my old Kawasaki motorcycle in the '60s and partied at the end of the ride.

Since you've posted twice about the "C1 experience" you may want to read the British comprehensive analysis of a new 1961 Corvette shortly after they came out:
http://www.c1registry.com/downloads/...e_Analysis.pdf
That C1 analysis link is a good read, which I've never seen before. Even though it features that Mid Year rear end 61, rather than the more beautiful 59 or 60. LOL
Old 01-24-2023, 06:35 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Default C2's are technically a much improved Corvette

Originally Posted by SuddenlyWild
Hello, all you experinced,happy Vette owners! I am seeking a C1 or C2 as my 1st Vette, but am concerned, as I live on Long Island, not Florida. Question, please: What is the oldest model suitable for daily, local driving? I love super-vintage, but I must be practical. Thanks a lot!!
It depends on what you want. The C2 is not only the most popular but years ahead of the C1 technologically. I'm talking independant suspension on the C2 where as the C1 is basically a pick up King Pin suspension. The C1 has a very tight cabin (Conestoga Wagon Wheel Co. supplied the steering wheel). The convertible top is a joke. When in place it restricts your view and you feel like you are sitting in a cave. I rarely ever use it, I'd rather get a little wet if it's not a gusher. In the Fall I put on the hard top and it transforms the car. (See Photo) This let's me drive all year on Long Island. If you like,send me an email and you can take my 59 for a spin which would help you decide.

The following users liked this post:
petdoc (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 09:28 AM
Fred Catcott
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi All,
Good morning. Just another day in Paradise. I was stationed in San Diego in 1972 and purchased a '61 Corvette hardtop and a week later received orders to Norfolk, Va. A friend of mine also got the same orders. We packed our seabags in and on the Corvette and drove from CA to VA in 4 days. We had a great time. Not sure I would want to do it again in 4 days but I would like to do it again. Have a great day,
Fred
Old 01-24-2023, 09:39 AM
dmtparker
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

To add to what others have said, I drove my bone stock 62 from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada with no problem at all. I've always found the seats comfortable and I'm 6' (or used to be, probably nearer 5'10" now
Old 01-24-2023, 11:25 AM
Fatdaddy
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I’ve owned many corvettes over the years and currently own a c1 and c5.that being said if ever I sell my c1 I would go back to a c2.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:40 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,309 Likes on 486 Posts

This subject comes up a lot. I had a bone stock '60 with bias ply tires when I was in my 20s and never had an issue with the steering. Now in my 70s the '60 I have now has radials. The ride is better but steering is harder and my rotator cuff appreciates the power steering in it. My boney butt doesn't appreciate the seats however but then again it doesn't like the seats in my '18 Malibu either. The cars are not worn out, my body is.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:01 PM
AwakeAtTheWheel
4th Gear

Default Hey, carl!!

Thanks for your quick, helpful reply here. I hope you see this, as this is my 1st reply to anyone, and I'm a bit confused. Your car is stunning!!! Kudos to you for excellent taste! I would love to check out your classic iconic Vette, in better weather A great coindidence is that I live so close - in Southampton Town, near the Shinnecock Canal. I would love a C1, and a hardtop is a must, but most of them are super pricey, so that's the only reason for buying a C2. I am doing my research. My dentist happily just bought a green 1968 model on that daily free Swap and Shop radio program out of Sag Harbor, rather by chance! Any opinion on the Grand Prix Cafe vintage car dealership in 11968? More later. Hope you actually get to see this reply to your post!! Thanks, again.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:04 PM
AwakeAtTheWheel
4th Gear

Dear Carl: Thanks for your quick, helpful reply here. I hope you see this, as this is my 1st reply to anyone, and I'm a bit confused. Your car is stunning!!! Kudos to you for excellent taste! I would love to check out your classic iconic Vette, in better weather A great coindidence is that I live so close - in Southampton Town, near the Shinnecock Canal. I would love a C1, and a hardtop is a must, but most of them are super pricey, so that's the only reason for buying a C2. I am doing my research. My dentist happily just bought a green 1968 model on that daily free Swap and Shop radio program out of Sag Harbor, rather by chance! Any opinion on the Grand Prix Cafe vintage car dealership in 11968? More later. Hope you actually get to see this reply to your post!! Thanks, again.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:14 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Hi Awake, Please use the private email within the forum and you can let me know when and where. I drive my 59 all year so any time is good. I'm 77 and don't know how much time I got left so I use my 59. It's definitely not a garage/trailer queen. Look for an email from me. It should pop up as a private message to you on this forum.

Last edited by carl3989; 01-26-2023 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AwakeAtTheWheel (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:11 PM
AwakeAtTheWheel
4th Gear

Dear Carl: Hi. Thanks for your message here. I was confused as you had given me an off-site email. Is this right here public or private????? OK. Later!! Looking forward!!

Quick Reply: C1 driving in the real world