C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Project - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Just keep checking, just keep checking...

Patrick, here is what my B pillar looked like - the outer lip was completely gone and I had to remove the #3 body bolt cover to repair the rocker channel. The cover lines up with the rear quarter reinforcement just behind the B pillar. I won't reinstall the cover until I mount the body for the last time, I'm going to pull the body one more time once I get all the body work done/cured. I'll put in the engine/trans, gas tank, exhausts, etc then drop the body, install the #3 covers, finish the sanding primer process and prep for paint. The B pillar repair is on thread post #180. PM me your phone# if you want to talk this through.

I took apart the fresh air vent flaps as well as the hood latch female catches. I'll get them cleaned and painted while it's nice here, supposed to be 65 degrees this weekend. Got out the windshield stainless and double checked the fit against the front clip. I'll get the hood fit checked next, do some final prep items on the clip and then hopefully get it bonded while it's warm.

Last edited by slalomfiend; 12-22-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wonderful! Great help! I can see that I over did the repairs and will cut off the extra tab. I will also omit the lower stone shield until final assembly because Scott warned me years ago it my be oversized. I measured it against what is left of the original and it is way too large.
The temps up here are too cold to do any outside work and after I get the quarter on and B pillars attached I do need to turn this over and get at the underside. I will do that before attaching the front end.
Thanks for the photos and updates on your progress, everything looks great and a prelude to what I can hope to expect. If and when I'm daring enough to start cementing I'll PM you and it looks like the bonding strip for the drivers quarter will be the first piece but I'm still fitting the deck gutter up to the B pillar cover and not liking what I'm getting.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:28 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Great Weekend!!

I finished the inner fender paint, pre-fit work and temporary attachment of the front clip on Saturday.

Then on Sunday, Scott and Jim came over and helped me bond the clip. Had to have a celebratory beer, it's a milestone I thought might never come!! The car is now all in one piece again and solid!!!

Today, I started the final gap work and leveling the deck edges. Also got the cowl holes cut out and the clip rough sanded. Next milestone will be getting the feather work done on the seams and shooting with sanding primer.

Last edited by slalomfiend; 12-22-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Had to have a celebratory beer, it's a milestone I thought might never come!!
. . . only one? . . . with the work you've put into this project, you should be celebrating this milestone for days! Great job - can't wait to see it finished!

Tom
Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
Since all the frame welding/grinding was done, all I have been waiting for was a nice day to spray paint. Yesterday was 75 and sunny so I shot Por15 inside the frame with the degreaser gun. Only issue was I had to hold the can of paint above the gun because it didn't siphon real well. Once I taped the siphon hose into the can and held it higher than the gun, it worked fine. Real messy, but at least I know it's coated in there pretty good. Then sprayed the frame Chassis Black and a bunch of suspension parts Gloss Black. Now comes time to buy some new parts...

Next nice day I'll get the other parts painted Silver and Cast.
great work, very inspiring for what I am working on my 64 body off.

Did you have a spray boot for the POR on chassis? Or do you spray where I see it in the picture?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated! Im really enjoying watching the car come back to life. As always, excellent work!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

I'll have one to celebrate your victory as well! I'm gonna go on binge drinking when mine is together... or start now!

Good looking laundry on the clothes line!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:10 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

alexandervdr, I sprayed the frame outside on the driveway on a calm/warm day about 10am then let it sit in the sun and cure. It was dry to the touch by 5pm when I moved it in and set on the sawhorses.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default If you opened a shop............?

You could make this a professional business. Not many people left in the hobby doing work like you.

Have you ever considered creating this work to a profession, or would that eliminate all the fun?

You should be real proud. GREAT JOB.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default no pics

Tom - can't slow down to have toooo many, have to keep pushing to paint in March!! I'll surely put a few down then!!

Jim - thanks for the kind words, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist at times. Down side is it takes me a bit longer so I'd probably starve if I had to do it for a living!!

Working on some filler feather work along the rear deck lid edges, will post pics soon...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Cocaine on the floor...

The white dust gets everywhere! Filler work and gapping is progressing nicely. The driver door top/rear deck area is done as well as most of the rear deck edges to body. The body panels on this car line up really nice, most of the feather work along the edges is 1/32" or less. Would probably look fine without the extra work but I want them to line up all along the edges.

I have also rebuilt most of the rear body line peaks, just have to radius them prior to primer.

We're having a birthday dinner for my wife this evening so I got the garage all cleaned up. Have to remember to tell the guests not to give in to the temptation of running their hands along the car... Probably a few more days and I'll move on to the front clip.

Last edited by slalomfiend; 12-22-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

When doing the front clip, be sure to fit the cowl vent grills in with the hood on. I never did until my car was all painted, and it was REAL close.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
When doing the front clip, be sure to fit the cowl vent grills in with the hood on. I never did until my car was all painted, and it was REAL close.
Good advice Ken. Many people paint parts ''off the car'' like doors, deck lids, hood etc. Then the paint never matches. I have seen even white paint have different look on each panel. PAINT the WHOLE CAR at the same time. PEBBLE BEACH cars are disassembled, and reassembled many, many times for fit and finish.

It's the prep work that takes all the time. Cars I have done were 6 months of body prep and 2 hours to actually paint it.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Moving to the front

I'm not quite finished with the rear filler work but it's close. I started to move forward now that the front clip has cured. Did the fiberglass overlay work at the top of the doors body lines to match the front clip. They would have been just a bit too thick to do in filler so I used glass. Now the lines are true.

I also glassed in the bond line on the front quarter that I had to separate to make the clip match up to the body correctly.

My repro BB hood is a really nice one but had the rough/hairy fiberglass texture on the underneath side so I did a light sanding, cleaned it real good and skim coated so it will be nice and smooth when painted.

I also got the lower windshield track/fiberglass sanded while I was grinding the other glass. The lower stainless lays in there really nice now.

And last but not least, I'm glassing in the A pillars so I can do the final gapping at the front of the doors. Once this is done, I'll be able to move on to the final filler work where the doors and front clip meet.

Last edited by slalomfiend; 12-22-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

All I can say is I'm envious of your progress. I'm still stuck at the same pot hole you found me in months ago

Great work!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Gettin' there

Haven't posted in a while because it's the same ol' thing...sanding and white dust. Getting excited though, feels like I'm nearing the end of this phase but trying hard to resist the temptation to rush!
I finished gapping/leveling the front of the doors so now it's on to the front clip and hood. Everything from the A pillars back is complete except for a couple hours work around the back up lights.

Couldn't help myself adding a thin skim coat to the underside of the hood. Will be really level and smooth now once painted. A little sanding on the top side and then I'll mount it and get it gapped/leveled to the surround.

Last edited by slalomfiend; 12-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Seems that everyone who is a DYI person gets "Dusty" before that time when the engine roars to life and everyone else is left in the dust!
I've been searching for bird cage information and ask if you know where I can find it? I want to get the rear clip assembled as a way to start measuring forward and it seems that the filler metal between the B pillars should be welded in. Having it wobble while fitting the doors and covers is making things difficult. Do you know where I could find something to go by for the bird cage? I'm trying to figure out the position of the B pillars and if they should be vertical and parallel to each other from left to right. I posted a sketch of my hold up going forward but from the B pillars to the rear all measurements match.

Lots of snow here, again. Really thinking of the South for a better retirement!

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Project - Update

Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Headlights!!

I'm super stoked!! Got the headlights put together and installed, amazed at how close the line ups are. I was expecting the worst I guess but now all they will need is a little gap/skim coat work to be really SCHWEET!! I've also been sanding on the hood some and will do a test fit to the body soon. That should be the last major hurdle on the body work.

Last edited by slalomfiend; 12-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
I'm super stoked!! Got the headlights put together and installed, amazed at how close the line ups are. I was expecting the worst I guess but now all they will need is a little gap/skim coat work to be really SCHWEET!! I've also been sanding on the hood some and will do a test fit to the body soon. That should be the last major hurdle on the body work.

Lookin' good! Nice work!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Beautiful work!

Quick Reply: 67 Project - Update