C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Double heresy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM
sixtysixtom
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
We’re doing this in order. You’ll get through it a lot faster than I have. Thus will give everybody an idea of what you’re biting off when you do a project like this.

Wow! Now that’s a bare bones restoration/restomod :thumbs
Tom
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM
sixtysixtom
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

We’re doing this in order. You’ll get through it a lot faster than I have. Thus will give everybody an idea of what you’re biting off when you do a project like this.

Wow! Now that’s a bare bones restoration/restomod
Tom
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM
notsojollyroger
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-2 wide body

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Opps, found another one...

GUSTO
who makes these fenders GTS ?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the problems of “getting down to down to the bird cage” is that you find out what the bird cage looks like...

Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

One of the problems of “getting down to down to the bird cage” is that you find out what the bird cage looks like...

When I saw your first photos I thought, no way....then I see the bird cage. I would have run from this car. You could have looked with a digital camera into the glove box and saw that the bird cage was bad. I get once you are into it that at times you can’t go back, but this is one that should have been avoided from from the beginning. Sorry to rain on your parade, but this will be a lesson to others wanting to build a restomod. This is a money pit especially if you can’t do the work yourself.

Having said all that, good luck with your build.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Thanks. As they say,”all’s well that ends well” ...we’re not at the end yet.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

that is just flat ugly.... at least parts are now available and the 'hard' part (removing body panels...) is done

Bill
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Well, you drew it out of me. This WAS the post for tomorrow. Fortunately, there’s nothing that can’t be fixed.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Bill
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Love the look of those wheels on that car.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:03 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Love the look of those wheels on that car.
thank you. 8" OEM rally wheels with trim rings. unfortunately the projection outward is too much without raising the rear (I used air shocks, fronts fit OK), otherwise the tire bulge hits the wheel well lip on rebound.

after many many years I replaced them with 7" wide Wheel Vintiques rallys without using the trim rings and took the air shocks off.

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:25 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Well, you drew it out of me. This WAS the post for tomorrow. Fortunately, there’s nothing that can’t be fixed.

I admire your ambition . When I first see a project like this right after it is bought , I always think this guy doesn't know what he is getting into and will never finish it . 90% of the time I am right but you proved many people to be wrong on this one . I see that you have the skills and the positive drive to get it done . Good luck with it and I will be watching to the end .
Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Today’s picture: the completed bird cage in its rust protective paint, ready to live again.
Originally Posted by bj1k
I admire your ambition . When I first see a project like this right after it is bought , I always think this guy doesn't know what he is getting into and will never finish it . 90% of the time I am right but you proved many people to be wrong on this one . I see that you have the skills and the positive drive to get it done . Good luck with it and I will be watching to the end .
Yes, I am a highly skilled check writer: if the money is in the account, the bank will cash my checks EVERY TIME. I actually am good at hiring good people. While I never say “money is no object” I decided early on in this project that there was nothing cost efficient about the whole idea. I used to mess with old Volkswagen Beetles since I drove one (that I literally pushed off to start every time) in college. I was reading on a performance chat site, back in the early days of the internet, on how to increase the horse power on that anemic engine. I found lots of advice, but the piece I remember came from an older man (maybe my age now?) who said, “My best advice is, if you want to go fast, start with something besides a Volkswagen Beetle.” So to all potential restomoders out there, my best advice is, if you want to build a cost efficient, daily driver car, start with something besides a 1967 Corvette. There’s nothing cost efficient about this idea from start to finish.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:02 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

cool,

but couldn't you buy an aftermarket body cheaper then starting with a real rough vette?
Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
cool,

but couldn't you buy an aftermarket body cheaper then starting with a real rough vette?
The real problem is the bird cage. You CANNOT buy every part for it and put it together, nor can you find a C2 cage for sale. There is a company, reported on this site, as making a complete bird cage. I called them. They still plan to someday, but not yet. He said he THINKS it’ll cost about $10,000 to buy one ready to install, but can’t be sure yet. Also, my car is truly a 67 Vette, real serial number, and thought there are very few parts on it that are 50 years old, it not a “kit car”. That has to matter to you, because you will spend a lot of money to make that statement true. As to the aftermarket body, stay tuned...
Old 05-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Probably too late now, but given that part’s value, it would have been an ideal candidate for E-coating. Search for my thread about E-coating which treats all external and internal surfaces with rust preventative. The whole weldment is immersed in multiple, huge tanks. I did my new frame. Very affordable. I only mention for the benefit of others who will read this great adventure. Very cool. Carry on. Following.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
Probably too late now, but given that part’s value, it would have been an ideal candidate for E-coating. Search for my thread about E-coating which treats all external and internal surfaces with rust preventative. The whole weldment is immersed in multiple, huge tanks. I did my new frame. Very affordable. I only mention for the benefit of others who will read this great adventure. Very cool. Carry on. Following.
Yeah, it’s way too late, but good info. I’m pretty sure most of these cars will never see a cloudy day, much less ice and snow, but that forever protection would be nice to have.

Get notified of new replies

To Double heresy?

Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

Since we’re on the negative side for now, here some of the unexpected things we ran into:

Floor, all blasted, primed, and ready to install

Same for the top

[IMG]https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/1280x960/80-
159ed0a7_06ff_49c6_a596_6e1b758ab6ba_9a4 4c3229c755213ab1f5888fdd54ecb83122cee.jp eg[/IMG]

...after further review...
We expected some bird cage repair. We planned to not use a lot of the parts. Unfortunately, we did plan to use these, but they proved to be unusable, AFTER we spent a lot of money preparing them for use. The top was just brittle after blasting. Drill into the picture of the bottom of the floor and note the holes in the floor. We decided that the cost of repair did not support the use of a 50 year old part. The only problem? Nobody makes a floor for these cars...
In the movies, they call that “a cliff hanger”.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Dieselvol
Instructor

For whatever reason, it did want to show the bottom the floor picture. Here it is:
Old 05-06-2018, 12:13 PM
mexicruiser
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man I wish I had your courage, I’d love to mod my vette.

About the floor, why not fabricate one using the original to build a mold?

There are guys fabricating hoods, etc.

Quick Reply: Double heresy?