C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Big Block Nick Name

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,753 Likes on 3,026 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by colo63sw
Now where did that come from??? I’ve heard that about Ford blocks but never rat motors.
You never heard of a bb Chevy motor called a rat? Man, I am getting old or you are way young!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
In 1966 NHRA stock classes matched Grumpy Jenkins in a 66 Chevy 2 with the L79 327 versus what was known as the street Hemi in the Dodges and Plymouths in A/ Stock and he won most of the time.
In Super Stock the Hemi's always won versus the Ford and Chevy full sized cars with 427 engines.
Exactly like I said. Street Hemi's are nothing like the HP ones. The factories over stated the HP of the lower performance engines & under stated the HP of its high performance ones. My 63 stock R code Ford was never beat by a 409 but I got my *** handed to me by the Hemi's. Don't see how anyone can say a factory HP SB could beat a factory HP BB.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:41 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I've known about the term'Porcupine Head' ever since the song came out when I was about 5 years old....56 now. I've heard the term 'Rat motor'about as long. My folks would get me second hand Hot Rod magazines in the early/mid '60's and I was addicted to the whole idea of big engines and hot- rodding. When I was 7, and dad came home with an almost-new '66 Mustang, the first thing I did was run around the back of the car to look at the louvered trumpet duals sticking out of the valence panel.....and they weren't there. Single exhaust, under the valence, and a 2bbl carb on the 289. What a disappointment. At least it had a RED interior, though!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RJ1
The ET's for those 60's cars in Super Stock classes are amazing now a days. What class are you running with the Coronet now? Is that the race Hemi or the street Hemi? Talking about fast cars now check out the C7 Forum and see the ET's the new Z06 in stock showroom form are turning. High ten seconds. Lots of videos.
I sold the car a couple of weeks ago.
It is a street Hemi not a race Hemi but blueprinted to NHRA stock specs.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba

My 63 stock R code Ford was never beat by a 409 but I got my *** handed to me by the Hemi's. Don't see how anyone can say a factory HP SB could beat a factory HP BB.
From my post #14:

[SIZE="2"]Aside from that, they lost their advantage on the street due to restricted exhaust, skinny tires and greenhorn drivers. It wasn't hard to beat them in a drag race with a light car and a SBC engine.

In real life street trim, most if not all BB cars would not even break into the 13's. Even if an amatuer prep is done to the BB cars, it was a different story on the strip. Anywhere in the 12's was easily obtainable.

Street, different deal. I don't recall getting beat by any BB on the street for some distance of 1/4 mile or less. If you beat me, take two steps forward.

Powered by 327/375, L 84.

427 Galaxies in street trim were not very formidable around here. I assume that's what you mean by "R" code? But neither were the 409's in street trim either. It's all relative.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MikeM; 08-13-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

The R code Fords were 427/425 HP rated. Did you race any 427/425 Ford fairlanes? I would guess not. That would be apples to apples as far as weight goes. Love your Nova. Looks like you ran modified production.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,774 Likes on 1,675 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
I heard "porcupine head" long before i HEARD "rat".
That is exactly correct.

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Put down the crack pipe.
That is even more correct.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,774 Likes on 1,675 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 449er
You never heard of a bb Chevy motor called a rat? Man, I am getting old or you are way young!
And again, that is exactly correct---------------------OR, he just ain't a real Chevy person.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kenba
The R code Fords were 427/425 HP rated. Did you race any 427/425 Ford fairlanes? I would guess not. That would be apples to apples as far as weight goes. Love your Nova. Looks like you ran modified production.
The Thunderbolts were race cars, not street cars. I never saw a ThunderBolt on the street nor did I see any race Hemi's. Let alone in street trim.

Saw lot's of 409's, lot's of Galaxie 427's, 440 Mopars and a couple of street Hemi's in street trim.

Anyone with half a mind knows that sooner or later, the cubic inches will turn you around, sooner or later.

B/MP with 2 X 4's

B/FX with the Rochester injector.

One added comment since someone (you?) mentioned 1966, the SS cars under discussion here were limited to 7 inch tires that year. That wasn't enough for a BB car back then and cost a lot of ET. Not nearly so bad on the SB and again, gave them an advantage in initial traction. I'm sure you know what happens in the first 50 feet has a lot to do with what happens at the finish line.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I've known about the term'Porcupine Head' ever since the song came out when I was about 5 years old....56 now. I've heard the term 'Rat motor'about as long. My folks would get me second hand Hot Rod magazines in the early/mid '60's and I was addicted to the whole idea of big engines and hot- rodding. When I was 7, and dad came home with an almost-new '66 Mustang, the first thing I did was run around the back of the car to look at the louvered trumpet duals sticking out of the valence panel.....and they weren't there. Single exhaust, under the valence, and a 2bbl carb on the 289. What a disappointment. At least it had a RED interior, though!

We had a similar addiction when we were young...other than Dad bringing home anything hot rod related...in fact he passed when I was 14, which forced me to become a mechanic if I wanted anything to drive.

I did Ed Roth T-shirts and sold then on the school bus, as they were hard to get in a sleepy little Texas farm town. To say I was a car nut would be an understatement....and I'm still quizzed about my early cars by classmates at class reunions. (what happened to them and so on)

Maybe I didn't ever hear the term Porcupine Head was because I was in the Army..about the time the song came out you mentioned when you were 5 years old (51 years ago). Draftees tended to have a gap in life that never existed mentally..especially in Nam. I dunno, I was big into music before and after the Army..always had an 8 track and a trunk full of tapes after the Army (and the radio constantly on before the Army).
What was the name porcupine song you mentioned? I'll google it.

Thanks...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-13-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:17 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Dated text from Mechanix Illustrated, April 1965 referring to the MK II BB as "porcupine head".

https://books.google.com/books?id=A-...engine&f=false
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

http://vintage-nitro.com/the-porcupi...ery-rat-motor/

Here's a link I googled that mentioned the porcupine term. I'm guessing that some "nick names" were known better in some parts of the USA than others....maybe that's why it's so strange to me.
Communication was far slower back in those days...sometimes it would take over a year for a "new" movie to come to rural movie theaters.

I sent a pal in Germany a " 8 hour reel to reel" tape of of local radio station tunes as I BS'ed to him about what was going on at home in between songs. I was in love then and was working all night on a portrait of my soon to be wife, while I ran the recorder and listened to the radio.

He said it played for weeks in his his company as he loaned it out to others...

Anyway..the last paragraph in the link above which mentioned several monikers says this:
........................................ ........................................ ........................................ .....................
"The Rat Motor, big brother to the Mouse.

For most rodders and racers, however, there was only one legitimate moniker for the new engine. If the small Chevy V-8 was a mouse motor, it’s bigger, more powerful, fiercer sibling could only be a RAT motor.
The name has stuck. Today, only old school hot rodders and nostalgia buffs still employ the terms mouse motor and elephant motor. The name rat motor, however, is still universally used to describe the big block Chevy V8. Far from being a derogatory term, the expression rat motor is much-loved by Chevy fans and is used as a title of respect even by those who build and race other brands.

And that is how the Chevy V-8 became known as a rat motor."
........................................ ........................................ ........................................ .....................
I suppose I could have heard the porcupine term way after it first came out (like the movies) but had heard the Rat Motor term way more...and just don't remember it now..? Seems like that happens pretty frequently these days...but I still have three Rat (err.. Porcupine) motors.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-13-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:36 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The problem with your link is it was published in 2011.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
The problem with your link is it was published in 2011.
The real problem was my location in '65. (..and I didn't have a subscription to Mechanic's Illustrated.}
I had hitched a ride to Jal, New Mexico...and taken a job on a pulling unit (oil field). Total isolation, but decent pay for a broke 17 year old. Hard times back then. Didn't think it could get any worse.
But I was "wrong again". I got drafted a few moths later....
I guess the porcupine motor just slipped thru the cracks somehow..lol.

........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ...............

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-13-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:35 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
We had a similar addiction when we were young...other than Dad bringing home anything hot rod related...in fact he passed when I was 14, which forced me to become a mechanic if I wanted anything to drive.

I did Ed Roth T-shirts and sold then on the school bus, as they were hard to get in a sleepy little Texas farm town. To say I was a car nut would be an understatement....and I'm still quizzed about my early cars by classmates at class reunions. (what happened to them and so on)

Maybe I didn't ever hear the term Porcupine Head was because I was in the Army..about the time the song came out you mentioned when you were 5 years old (51 years ago). Draftees tended to have a gap in life that never existed mentally..especially in Nam. I dunno, I was big into music before and after the Army..always had an 8 track and a trunk full of tapes after the Army (and the radio constantly on before the Army).
What was the name porcupine song you mentioned? I'll google it.

Thanks...Stan
Stan, the song is 'SS396' by Paul Revere and the Raiders. Thank you for your service!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:21 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Big Blocks

Back in the late 50's and early 60's, when I was in my teens, the big block Chevys were the 348 & 409. In NY, we called them "Cow Blocks". Maybe it had something to do with the shape of the valve covers---I don't know.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by colo63sw
By the time I got my hands on one in the early seventies I found the BB to be a wonderful thing. Sure if you really knew your s*** you could build a SB car to beat a SS396. But for a 17 YO kid with no money or tools, a big block was an awe inspiring thing, the torque was almost earth shaking.
After 50 years of history, I will say if you are going to build an engine for a C2 sure, go for a SB it will be nimble and quick. But back in my day, the tires got wider (up to N-60-15 and maybe bigger), and you didn’t need to push 6000+ RPM to beat an LT-1 with a well massaged BB (I hope I didn’t open up a Pandora’s box with that).
I like BB you like SB, to each their own.

Oh, and stock BBs got 15MPG back in the day.
my 66 427 with 2 X 4bbl got 6 mpg in town, 8 hwy. good thing gas was .25 gal.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block Nick Name

Old 08-13-2017, 05:32 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't see how anyone can say a factory HP SB could beat a factory HP BB.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Stan, the song is 'SS396' by Paul Revere and the Raiders. Thank you for your service!
Roger that, and thanks ...I'll look it up.
Stan..
Old 08-13-2017, 05:54 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RJ1
Don't see how anyone can say a factory HP SB could beat a factory HP BB.
[/QUOTE]

Back in the day on street tires a 1970 LT1 would run right along side of a 1969 427/435 with the big block barely edging it out and if you had a little better tire than the factory ones on a 1965 FI car would run along side of it also.

The myths begins when you start building a small block up against a standard big block. You have to remember that fuel injection was an expensive option and when they started putting 396/425 in these cars in mid 65 it was less expensive that a FI 327/375 AND slightly faster. The biggest thing about the big block is that the torque fools you into thinking it is faster than it is. Also remember that the old rule of thumb is that a car length is about 1/10 of a second for those of you that have done any street racing. A street race is not as fast as at the strip as well.

Quick Reply: Big Block Nick Name