C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dub needs help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Crontab
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dub needs help

All,

If anyone has been on this forum long enough, you know that Dub (from Corvette Etc in Charlotte NC) has been an outstanding member of this forum and the Corvette community as a whole. Recently, someone has tried to tarnish his reputation via Yelp. If you go read the post I'm sure you'll understand why he's pretty upset. Normally, yeah you can't please everyone, but as this was his first and only review, it's pretty devastating. If you have time and have either gotten your Vette serviced at his shop or he's helped you with a problem here, go show your appreciation.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/corvettes-etc-charlotte

Thanks all.

Popular Reply

04-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

So somebody doesn't get their way (in their opinion) so right out of the gate the race card gets played with no foundation for it...

The "new normal" I'm sad to say..
Old 04-30-2019, 03:31 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

As the owner of a restaurant, Yelp is the bane of the business community, and here is how it works..... Yelp, especially in the hospitality industry, is know to promote bad reviews and hide good ones... I have personally verified this by watching customers post complimentary comments and seeing that they don't show up on the Yelp page..... Then after some time and having your review ratings in the tank, Yelp calls you and "offers" to help get your company in better standing, if only you pay them $250-$1,000/mo.......

There is no question this business practice is what they do and I personally have talked with others in the business from all over the country and they all say the same thing and have the same story...... Thankfully google reviews has become more prevalent and more fair...

i can tell you personally, being a Conservative, who owns a restaurant in the State Capital, and - being a past elected official, our "friends" on the other side of the aisle use Yelp and other social media to attack your business on a very regular basis and these companies just don't give a Rats...A$$...... Very discouraging..

Now on the upside for DUB, one bad review is really insignificant, as much as it hurts to get your teeth kicked in publicly.....

Just my .02 on social media.......,
Old 04-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

The racist angle of that review was nasty. It's painful that some people take whatever unpleasantness and turn it into a racism sh**show without any other justification. All of us fail at customer service from time to tome. It's rarely if ever because we're bigoted against any customers.

Last edited by Avispa; 04-30-2019 at 03:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
Yelp calls you and "offers" to help get your company in better standing, if only you pay them $250-$1,000/mo.......
Did Yelp actually contact you and offer you this service or is this anecdotal information?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I just added my review, and picture, which is well deserved. Hang in there Dub!!!
Old 04-30-2019, 04:41 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Originally Posted by ganshert
Did Yelp actually contact you and offer you this service or is this anecdotal information?
Over the years, actually did contact me directly, several times.... Yup.... They did it several ways..... We called to complain about bad reviews that we knew were fake (details of their complaint that were just not true, naming food we did not actually make ie the Meatloaf sucked - but we don't make meatloaf... ) an they would pivot the conversation to say if we became paying members we could receive benefits, or when we called to discuss why we actually watched customers give good reviews, yet they never show.... again, they would suggest if we just became paying supporters of yelp... Yes, Several times I personally was on the phone... I was on the Board of the NH Lodging and Restaurant Association and we discussed it there and many members had similar stories.... One went so far as to create a new App to try to bring balance... That was some 7-8 years ago

I have not heard from them in years and we focus on Google reviews as I had said above
cardo0 (05-05-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:50 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
Over the years, actually did contact me directly, several times.... Yup.... They did it several ways..... We called to complain about bad reviews that we knew were fake (details of their complaint that were just not true, naming food we did not actually make ie the Meatloaf sucked - but we don't make meatloaf... ) an they would pivot the conversation to say if we became paying members we could receive benefits, or when we called to discuss why we actually watched customers give good reviews, yet they never show.... again, they would suggest if we just became paying supporters of yelp... Yes, Several times I personally was on the phone... I was on the Board of the NH Lodging and Restaurant Association and we discussed it there and many members had similar stories.... One went so far as to create a new App to try to bring balance... That was some 7-8 years ago

I have not heard from them in years and we focus on Google reviews as I had said above
I'm not sure why I'm surprised, isn't that extortion? or maybe just capitalism

sorry for the OT excursion...

I don't know DUB but have benefited from his posts many times. I hope this is just a bump for him.

Last edited by ganshert; 04-30-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hes got it handled looks like. (what a big baby!)
Personally I dont pay much attention to Yelp or most of whats on the internet

•  

• First to Review
    Very disorganized , dub the owner has promised to call me on several occasions to fix my car . Unfortunately he never does . I believe he doesn't like patronage from ppl of darker hue . From what I hear he is a good mechanic but his customer serve ice sucks !

Comment from Dub D. of Corvettes Etc
Business Owner
4/26/2019 I work on any Corvette regardless on who owns it. You know this due to I worked on your blue Corvette and then you took it to a competitor and found out that was a mistake due to you calling me and trying to get back in to my shop so I could fix what they messed up. Remember that???. So insinuating I am a racist is uncalled for and is not factual.

And as for me calling you back...I told you when you called that I was really backed up and it was going to be awhile. I could not give you a specific time frame due to each car takes as long as it takes to get it right. I do work correctly and not just slap cars back together so I can get more cars thought the doors. I have never operated my shop that way....which is why I stay backed up with a long waiting list. High volume does not mean high quality.

And I did call you back (just the other day) and then found this comment you wrote. And to be honest. I call those customers who are next in line to keep them aware of what is going on and do not have time every week to call 20+ people to tell them that they are still in line but I have no idea when they are getting into the shop due to.....each car is different and takes as long as it takes to get it right and I have no idea on what that will take on some of these Corvettes that need extensive work. Read less

Last edited by cv67; 04-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cv67:
csherman (05-01-2019), sixtysixtom (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 PM
65-L78
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Done!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

So somebody doesn't get their way (in their opinion) so right out of the gate the race card gets played with no foundation for it...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-30-2019 at 07:04 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
3JsVette (04-30-2019), 59BlueSilver (05-01-2019), C.T. (04-30-2019), Chuck Gongloff (05-01-2019), dkleather (05-01-2019), Dreaming60’s (05-01-2019), frankturbo (04-30-2019), Gary's '66 (05-06-2019), GTOguy (05-01-2019), mike coletta (05-01-2019), Oaker57 (05-04-2019), ptjsk (05-02-2019), Randy G. (05-01-2019), Rob_64-365 (04-30-2019), Vettegeezer (05-01-2019) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:25 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I doubt very much yelp has a big impact on a good restoration shop. As Dub noted, he stays busy and can only handle so much work.

Internet reviews from TripAdvisor are a big go to for travel issues and research for me but reviews for any service business can be nearly useless.

I will say that my wife- a physician- has a litany of bad reviews on a host of common healthcare provider review venues. It never feels good to have something bad said about you- and to that extent I hate it for her- but it is a kind of badge of honor.

Why?

fact is in medicine people demand things that they don’t need, are bad for them, or are downright illegal. You are going to **** off some people running a good medical practice if you’re doing it right. Period.

The stakes may not always be as high but that’s the way clients deal with many other services- bad reviews follow proper treatment.

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 04-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChattanoogaJSB:
CiCiC3 (05-29-2022), Oaker57 (05-04-2019), rayvaflav (05-05-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Cant make em all happy. Known Dub for a brief time, and know he will only do things one way. My guess..the guy got impatient. We have all been there. Quality takes time. Its easier these days to sit behind a computer screen and level accusations against someone than it is to rationally work it out one on one. Sad. Hang in there Dub.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Did he ever get paid, probably not.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Unfortunately truer words never spoken.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Unfortunately truer words never spoken.
Guess I'm slow what is the new normal. And what was the old normal that makes this the new normal.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Yep...
Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 AM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Guess I'm slow what is the new normal. And what was the old normal that makes this the new normal.
Moxie, having just spent 10 years in politics and owning a restaurant, I am all too familiar with what DUB is experiencing and what the New Normal is. Used to be there was a level of respect. You might not like the person but you were raised to do the right thing no matte what, be polite and if you had a disagreement, try to figure it out with reason.

In today's environment, where everyone expects a trophy and to be put in line first not matter what, combined with this new perception that if you don't recognizance that "their" issue is the most important one on earth, then clearly you are uncaring, and more importantly, you have a vendetta against them. And this "vendetta" isn't just on how you are "judging" the importance of their issue, I is now perceived as a personal affront to them based upon what ever they can say or use to demonstrate to their friends and the general public that you are everything bad about life and then NEED to publicly tarnish you for it.

No matte what someone's issue is, if you don't immediately put them to the top, they will accuse you of being racist, sexist, 1%'er, uncaring for the poor, in-firmed, etc....

I admit, i am discourages by all of this as the public damage it can do to your family and reputation is harsh, yet they are so willing to accuse you of being so bad, just to make themselves feel better (playing the victim card every day to get others to feel sorry for them) of in their self righteous view, prove that they are better than you.

Its a sad time in our society today....
mike coletta (05-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Dub needs help

Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

I freakin hate Yelp! If you get one bad review they will hound you with cold calls offering to help you clean it up for a fee. It's all a scam!
I got one bad review from a crazy woman with no way to dispute it without giving them money. I hang upon them whenever they call now.
There are good reviews on my site that don't even belong to me.

Last edited by biggd; 05-01-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Yelp is knocking them off faster than we can get them up. Yesterday, there were 9 postitive reviews, and this morning there are three. What a bunch of crooked bastards.
GTOguy (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

If you guys really really wanted a taste of what this thread is talking about you should come to Memphis. This is a daily way of life here. I hate to see how much we've devolved in the last 60 years and try as I may I can't fully comprehend how much worse it will be in the next 60 years. Not that it matters much for me.

It is enteresting to learn how Yelp truly operates. You would think some litigious type owner would record all of the corospondence of how they can help your reputation and sue them into oblivion.

Last edited by Robert61; 05-01-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Dub needs help