C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing???

After successfully returning home from a small, non-technical CCC convention yesterday, I noticed that my brake lights stayed on even with key off. Ok, methinks; a short or a switch needing attention. A quick e-mail to the some conventionites, and I determined the switch needed adjustment or replacement......an easy job for a 3' 2" contortionist..... :eek:

I pulled the switch, bent the plate a bit, and then noticed that each connector on the switch had another wire attached via a thin "brass" flag-like strip that fit into the connector. One had come out and was a royal PITA to get back in.... :U

Can anyone shed some light as to what these wires are or do?? Everything is now working fine, but its my curiosity thing...

Mucho thankos in advance!! :cheers:

Jeff
‘66. Modified L72
“The Silver Beast”
Keep on :seeya :seeya :steering:
Old 12-28-2002, 11:17 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing??? (Blkblt)

The Brake light circuit is on the hot battery bus. Which means that even with the key in the off posistion, the brake light will work. Now, this does not fix the problem of them staying on. I have no idea what the switch looks like so I am not able to help you in that regard. But if it a spring loaded type that is activated by the brake pedal, then usually some cleaning and WD-40 can fix.

Mark
Old 12-28-2002, 11:34 PM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 119 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Jeff - re "and then noticed that each connector on the switch had another wire attached via a thin "brass" flag-like strip that fit into the connector" - these are the connections for the brake light capacitor which mounts to the clutch/brake support bracket.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:54 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing??? (66BBCoupe)

The capicator keeps the electrical snap crackle pop from transmitting through your radio.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

66BBCoupe and Wombvette:

Thanks much! :thumbs: :cheers:

I fixed the switch just fine. I was just curious regarding the wiring.

Jeff
:seeya :seeya :steering:
Old 01-02-2003, 09:08 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,938 Likes on 1,940 Posts

They're the ancilliary parallel curcuit transducer connectors for the spaffle brocket delay timer over-ride. Touching them without the use of proper amounts of alcohol may result in the inadvertent and terminal release of the Magic Smoke - essential to the proper function of Corvette Electrical Systems. :cheers:
Old 01-02-2003, 09:59 PM
mjmsc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
CI-7 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing??? (66BBCoupe)

Are there 2 caps, one for each connector, or only 1 cap? I found one disconnected also but did not know what it was for. This would explain why the connectors did not fit tight.

Thanks for the post
Old 01-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Re: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing??? (lars)

Quote*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They're the ancillary parallel circuit transducer connectors for the spaffle brocket delay timer over-ride. Touching them without the use of proper amounts of alcohol may result in the inadvertent and terminal release of the Magic Smoke - essential to the proper function of Corvette Electrical Systems.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also keep in mind that The Capacitance of "Z" could effect the Rinkwitz-Liley Filter and can cause a shift in the switch mode power supply effecting Regenerative Aural Byproducts. Ohms Law States that What goes up ..must come down if the current equals the rear end differential angle times the Digital Servo-Locked Regulator at the ignition switch.

Further..Several envelope-pushing unique features beg attention; such as the pneumonic suspension features to reduce gravitational electron drift due to a tilted chassis; such as the proprietary paint that reflects odd-ordered harmonic light frequencies to reduce non linear photon radiation interference; such as Time Warp Compression Expansion.

Keep in mind that the stop light switch should be modified with a " Deep Six Filter", this was covered in a paper Titled..." Flicks First Law" by Lollie Flicks; in which he also stated that .00085Mhos on Each Leg To Ground was most important. He further stated that,,,(1 furlong/fortnight=0.000655 in/sec.) which will effect your engine cam bearing clearance only when shifting in reverse at 5000 rpm.

This article is available, and was printed in a foreign country on 100% milk fed virgin old growth timber exported from the Pacific Northwest that used to be the home of little animals and birdies and printed with ink derived from dolphins and other endangered species.

_______
Old 01-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Lars & VNV, you guys make me laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Default Re: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing??? (Denney)

Idid have a few beers when I wrote that post..................... :p:
Old 01-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Default Re: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing??? (Viet Nam Vett)

I would of hoped so! :crazy:

But you forgot to add "Proper alignment is only acheived when the Vette is facing towards Detroit"!

Plasticman
Old 01-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I let this one go after the question was answered....just caught the rest of the post!!!

Yep...... Beer.

Jeff :lol: :lol: :cheers: :cheers: :seeya
Old 01-06-2003, 01:28 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,938 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Sounds like we need to invite VNV to a CCC beer & tech session.... his contributions are on par with our own.. :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Quote*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like we need to invite VNV to a CCC beer & tech session.... his contributions are on par with our own
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be more then Happy to attend one of your "Blood Shoot Eye" Tech Seminars. In fact, I do have some special test equipment that I could bring along. I have been experimenting with a new device called an"AI" Controller.

The AI Controller always overrides totally stupid moves. In addition, an auto piolet mode exists,whereby the AI controller pre determines what the operator wants, and executes it beforehand. And finally, the AI Controller features ...DWIWNWIS (Do what I want,not what I say) trouble free interface.

I have found this device to be very helpful after several six packs when pulling and polishing my brake lines. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing???

Quick Reply: Brake Switch Inquiry...or...Whats This Thing???