C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 10:00 PM
63Droptop
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Owner

Bought a 63 convertible last May. First time the car had seen the light of day since 1997. PO restored the car in 96/97 (as indicated by dated pictures I got from the son), drove it 88 miles then parked in his basement till I got it out in May (I compared the odometer from the restoration pictures to what it had when purchased). Does that qualify as a barn find? Story I was told is that after restoring the car, the PO was afraid to drive it since it was such a solid car with all original panels. I spent the next month getting the car ready for the road (not my first rodeo, just my first corvette). In the course of getting it in shape, I flushed the original coolant out, refilled with distilled vinegar, let it sit for day then re-flushed and filled with coolant, among other things. Over the course of putting 1,000 miles on over the summer, the temperature gauge was consistently high (210 or more). IR gun pretty much confirmed. Car would run hot on the highway but cool down in the city Lower radiator hose is good and solid with internal spring. So guessing it's the radiator. Here's my question: How can I tell if this is the original radiator? I have no paperwork, receipts, etc. to know what the PO bought or replaced. Cooling fins look too good to be 35 year old radiator (at the time when it was parked). I'm willing to buy a new DeWitt's if I'm replacing a 60 year old unit but I would also hate to spend the money only to find out this was a new radiator and there's some other issue. Car has a November 2, 1962 birthday so the date code looks right.

Fan clutch is new.

Hello World

The following 3 users liked this post by 63Droptop:
carl3989 (02-09-2024), ptjsk (02-10-2024), Westlotorn (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:14 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,054 Likes on 682 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum. Good looking 63. As to the Radiator, that one pic you posted of the top plate make it 'look' like it could be an original stacked plate radiator and if it is the original, very good chance it's not in great shape these days.
But before you plunk down your money on a replacement radiator, maybe check out a few more things. I see you did back up your temp findings with an IR gun, good. Have you had a chance to check out the water pump, in particular, the weep hole on the bottom side of the front snout? If you see a tell-tale stain it might indicate a leaking seal. The other thing worth checking would be the clutch fan. Once it's up to temp, does the clutch unit engage with the fan so that when testing, you don't get more than say a full turn or turn and a half once you spin it? Other areas worth checking, if you haven't already, would be looking for vacuum leaks and engine timing. Also, any idea what thermostat is in there...160...180...195?
Congrats on picking up a very nice looking 63 Roadster, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the cars issues in no time at all.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (02-10-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:31 PM
63Droptop
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Welcome to the Corvette Forum. Good looking 63. As to the Radiator, that one pic you posted of the top plate make it 'look' like it could be an original stacked plate radiator and if it is the original, very good chance it's not in great shape these days.
But before you plunk down your money on a replacement radiator, maybe check out a few more things. I see you did back up your temp findings with an IR gun, good. Have you had a chance to check out the water pump, in particular, the weep hole on the bottom side of the front snout? If you see a tell-tale stain it might indicate a leaking seal. The other thing worth checking would be the clutch fan. Once it's up to temp, does the clutch unit engage with the fan so that when testing, you don't get more than say a full turn or turn and a half once you spin it? Other areas worth checking, if you haven't already, would be looking for vacuum leaks and engine timing. Also, any idea what thermostat is in there...160...180...195?
Congrats on picking up a very nice looking 63 Roadster, I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the cars issues in no time at all.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
The thermostat is new robertshaw180F, new vacuum advance, timing set to 34 degrees@3,000 rpm. Haven't noticed any weeping around the water pump. The old fan clutch was free spinning at temp. I have replaced the clutch with a Hayden clutch but have not been able to road test due to winter so that test is going to have to wait til april or may
Old 02-09-2024, 07:55 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 636 Likes on 422 Posts

Welcome-nice 63- had to burp my 63 thru the expansion tank 3 times to get my temp right after I put in new anti-freeze.
Good luck with ur 63.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:44 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,477 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Is it safe to say, seeing the date stamp on the rad, that it is original? Or could or would Dewitts stamp the rad back in '96/'97? Dennis
Old 02-09-2024, 10:35 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,569 Likes on 1,056 Posts

The attached PDF by 'The Man' may help. Doubt you will find any better information.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
corv_cooling2.pdf (2.76 MB, 48 views)
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (02-10-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 11:59 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you flush the block?

remove the threaded plugs either side of the block?

Old 02-09-2024, 01:03 PM
63Droptop
Heel & Toe

Did not remove the drain plugs but did run lots of water through the engine til it came out clean looking.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 370 Likes on 237 Posts

Does your "new" vacuum advance can hold vacuum? I chased a similar issue, hot on the road cools off around town, in my 60 which turned out to be the "new" vac adv can..... Worth a quick check

Tom
Old 02-09-2024, 01:42 PM
63Droptop
Heel & Toe

Vacuum advance works and holds vacuum. Tested with my mighty vac. Made sure of that before re-installation so I wouldn't have to do it twice.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:07 PM
63Droptop
Heel & Toe

Had a pm from a member as to what to look for on an original radiator which is leading me to think it's time to bite the bullet and replace it. Will still keep the original for whatever the future might hold.

Get notified of new replies

To New Owner

Quick Reply: New Owner