Sponsored by:

rolling back the odometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
Corvette odometers have lock tabs between the wheels. The tabs are held straight with a narrow strip of fiber material. These tabs have a slot in the bottom of them that slides over a rail to keep wheels and numbers aligned. Here is the catch, the rail is missing a short section and one of the center tabs does not have a place to lock. This is why they used the fiber to lock that one in place. Why did they design it that way???? Because, if try to reverse the odometer with an electric drill, or drive it forward for that matter, the fiber strip breaks by the tab where the rail is missing and now your odometer wheels no longer line up nor does it work properly, the tab spins with the wheel. This was intentional on GM's part and they used this on several cars during the same era. The only way to change the number sequence is to remove the odometer assembly from the speedo unit. I bought a NOS speedometer for my car three years ago and I had to duplicate the correct mileage on the new one.
So, if the digits of my odometer don't line up right, might that be a sign that one of the PO's of my '80 tried to change the odometer reading?

If I buy a new 140 mph speedometer, how do I match the mileage on the new speedometer to the mileage on the old?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
So, if the digits of my odometer don't line up right, might that be a sign that one of the PO's of my '80 tried to change the odometer reading?

If I buy a new 140 mph speedometer, how do I match the mileage on the new speedometer to the mileage on the old?
It is very easy to set the correct mileage. You have to remove the speedometer and remove the odometer assembly. You have to be very careful removing the fiber strip off the tabs so that you don't break it. Once you have the strip off, you can turn the wheels to the required mileage you want. Carefully put the strip back on over the tab stops and reassemble. It is not rocket science, it is just that GM didn't want to make it easy to have the odometer reversed.

This picture is not great but if you look close you will see the white fiber strip and the cutouts on the rail between the digits 3 and 7 and also under the outermost 4. If this fiber strip gets broken then those wheels just spin up and guess where they fetch up :-) right in the speedo display :-)

Last edited by Binnie77; 01-23-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis75
Hi I am rebuilding the engine in my 75 and was thinking that it would make sense to set the odometer to 0. I've heard of people doing this with a drill but it takes for ever. I was wondering if there was a way to do this.
Federal motor vehicle law violation
Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by FatCat Blue 80
......Why not just document the milage from when the engine was installed.
...when I installed that new GM crate motor a few years ago in my '75 coupe, I documented the exact mileage and date(also put this on the paperwork for the new engine warranty) so if I ever sell the car, I can disclose honestly exactly what I did.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Most states after 10 years old. They don't care what the mileage is.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Green73
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Drive it a lot!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a Federal Law, not a State Law, but they must follow the Federal Law and there is no time limit, although a lot of states stop recording the mileage. But realistically, unless you are trying to fake a high dollar car, don't worry about it, just be honest when you sell.

The Federal Odometer Act

To counteract this temptation and to protect consumers, the federal government passed a law called the Federal Odometer Act. Anyone purchasing a car in the United States is protected by this act.

Under the act, it is unlawful to tamper with an odometer in order to change the mileage registered. Tampering can take a number of different forms, all of them illegal. For example, it is a violation of the act to drive a vehicle with a disconnected odometer (which therefore would not register the miles), or to install or sell a device that makes the odometer record mileage inaccurately. It is also a violation to reduce manually the number of miles on the odometer.

Notice of broken odometer

Sometimes odometers break or malfunction. According to the act, if an odometer is broken, it cannot be altered when it is being repaired. If an odometer cannot be fixed without being altered, it must be reset to zero. A written notice must then be attached to the vehicle's left door frame that states the mileage before the repair and the date of the repair. You can then add the mileage on the door frame notice to the mileage on the odometer to get the total miles.

As a consumer, be aware that the person or company selling the car is responsible for knowing the correct total mileage. The seller must convey that information to you in writing. The act prohibits the transfer of ownership of a car to a seller without full disclosure of the actual total mileage. If a car’s actual mileage is unknowable, or if the seller is unsure of the actual mileage, he or she must tell you in writing that the actual mileage is unknown.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:26 AM
clive
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are keeping it who cares. Roll it to what you want.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you're trying to deceive someone, why would you ever roll it back? If you go in for a heart or lung transplant, that doesn't mean you're 1 again, right? There's no reason for it, period.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

When iI repainted mine and changed the motor and trans. I put in a 140mph speedo and I reset it to 00000.0 I think it read 2,000 miles. At least now I know how many miles I have put on the car, because at my age I don't remember much. To me it is a new car with everything I've done to this car. I have the original speedo with 31,000 on it. But with everything I've seen out there, I wouldn't beleive and mileage on any C3 unless it was fully documented and I wouldn't let the mileage effect my buying decision either. I am more concerned with the build quality of the car, (Frame, birdcage, TA's etc)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden
But with everything I've seen out there, I wouldn't believe any mileage on any C3 unless it was fully documented and I wouldn't let the mileage effect my buying decision either. I am more concerned with the build quality of the car, (Frame, birdcage, TA's etc)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't believe and mileage on any C3 unless it was fully documented and I wouldn't let the mileage effect my buying decision either. I am more concerned with the build quality of the car, (Frame, birdcage, TA's etc)

Definitely right on that one. Unless you're thinking about resale value before you even buy it, it doesn't really matter whether it has 50,000 or 150,000 - what matters is the overall condition. You can rebuild a motor top to bottom for a lot less than you'll spend to buy a lower mileage car, and given the age you're probably going to want to replace seals, gaskets, bushings, etc. anyway. Besides, if you plan on doing any engine mods, a rebuild is a good idea before you start anyway just because of the age of the parts, and if you're going to do it anyway there aren't any real savings in buying a low-mileage vehicle.

For me, I'd buy a vette with 230k miles and a great paint job before I'd buy a vette with 40,000 miles and a crappy paint job. It's a lot cheaper to rebuild a motor than it is to get the paint right.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:25 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chris Farrer
I agree with 7T1vette. The mileage is not only for the engine but what the whole car has travelled.
My question is how do I log the "miles" I sit in mine while parked in the garage, having a cold one and listening to tunes? My wife can't understand this behaviour but I'm sure some of you do.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Most states after 10 years old. They don't care what the mileage is.

The titles I seen usually say "odometer exempt".....especially on older cars.

I don't look at the mileage on an old car anyways, more at what shape it's in. You can have a C3 with 12k that sat up for 20 years and all the rubber is rotted or a C3 with 89,000 driven (or even 189,000 if maintained) miles that looks factory fresh if kept up.

My car shows 32,000 actual miles.......I guess it's still under warranty
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController
Unless you're trying to deceive someone, why would you ever roll it back? If you go in for a heart or lung transplant, that doesn't mean you're 1 again, right? There's no reason for it, period.

I will answer this question with a question. Why would you want to roll back the odometer?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by seacliffe301
The person I had do this
was a self proclaimed "expert". I do recall him having to take each digit
apart as described so not damage the unit.

You don't have to take each digit apart. You just have to change them in the correct order. You can't change the reading from the low order side, you have to start with the high order and work your way down. As you get them lined up you then have to rotate all of the digits that are lined up until the next one down falls into place.

Takes a while and don't forget to CAREFULLY remove the paper/fiber alignment strip. It is brittle and will tear easily.

Now, I don't recommend this unless you are changing the speedometer out. Any other use is not lawful.

After all, even though you have rebuilt your engine, if you had it bored out, the next owner might assume it hasn't been if the odometer reads really low.

cc
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FatCat Blue 80

Why not just document the milage from when the engine was installed. You could keep that info in the glove box or just find a hidden spot to write the milage on with a shaprie.

Get notified of new replies

To rolling back the odometer

Old 01-24-2008, 08:55 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

If I was looking to but a car and I knew the odo had been tampered with, I would RUN away! If an owner is willing to do that, what else would he forge/restamp/lie about to sell the car? Just put a new engine in and BE HONEST- it will never come back to bite you in the tail!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Rudy's Stingray
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ATTENTION ADMINISTRATORS MODERATORS OF THIS FORUM

It would be in the Corvette Forum best interest to remove this thread.
Anyone posting information as a "How To" do something illegal which,
is against the law in most if not all states of this country, is committing
a felony and the forum can be held liable with this thread being posted.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Rudy's Stingray
ATTENTION ADMINISTRATORS MODERATORS OF THIS FORUM

It would be in the Corvette Forum best interest to remove this thread.
Anyone posting information as a "How To" do something illegal which,
is against the law in most if not all states of this country, is committing
a felony and the forum can be held liable with this thread being posted.

My 71 shows 71,000 and change. If I roll it forward to zero, will it show 100K or 200K? The problem is if I represent it to be something it's not, and frankly the odometer reading is the biggest lie ever in our hobby. And its not the only thing that gets fudged. People should not rely on the sellers word for anything.

BTW - I removed a mattress tag the other day!

Quick Reply: rolling back the odometer