Sponsored by:

rolling back the odometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 AM
77TSi-meez
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis75
Hi I am rebuilding the engine in my 75 and was thinking that it would make sense to set the odometer to 0. I've heard of people doing this with a drill but it takes for ever. I was wondering if there was a way to do this.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:16 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

This post is getting as good as the valve lash post.

Hello, were talking about cars that are earliest 26 years old to almost 40 years old and people are getting hung up on the mileage

If the guy want to turn his mileage back go for it. He isn't pulling anything over on anyone. Buyer beware, your purchasing a very old car.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Take the speedo out and look at how the drum with the numbers is fastened to the assembly so you can put it back the same way then look at how the tabs are positioned and then just figure out , by looking and trying how to change the position of how the numbers line up, very simple to do, removing the speedo is the hardest part of the whole deal. Peace,,,Moosie

You're the only one who really addressed the OP's question Moosie.

Ignore all the armchair attorneys and do what you want to do. The car's 33 years old. Nobody else gives a damn what the original mileage is.
Best,
Greg
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden
This post is getting as good as the valve lash post.

Hello, were talking about cars that are earliest 26 years old to almost 40 years old and people are getting hung up on the mileage

If the guy want to turn his mileage back go for it. He isn't pulling anything over on anyone. Buyer beware, your purchasing a very old car.

Originally Posted by Greg

Ignore all the armchair attorneys and do what you want to do. The car's 33 years old. Nobody else gives a damn what the original mileage is.
Best,
Greg

For all you guys that think it’s no big deal

I personally know a guy that spent some time in a Federal penn for this.
Ya, it’s easy to do,
just don’t be stupid when you sell it.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Best,
Greg
Yes they do. Every couple of weeks there is a post on this forum from a proud new C-3 owner that just bought one with only 18,000 "original" miles, or 24,000 "original" miles or 12,000 or whatever. When you see the pictures of their new low mileage baby, some of them look as if they were raised up from the bottom of a Louisiana Bayou somewhere. Lot of gullible people out there willing to belive in the dream. Turning back a speedometer just ain't playing fair. If "nobody gives a damn" then just leave it wherever it is.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Have you read the OP's post clearly?
He didn't say anything about rolling back the odometer in order to represent the car as a low miler or even mentioned selling the car. It seems to me he was asking a technical question that only a couple of members were able to address.

If it's simply a way for the owner to track his rebuild miles on his own car, what's it to anyone else?

Unless that car is a documented low mileage car with a provable pedigree, the odometer reading is arbitrary at best after 30 or 40 years (how many times has it already come up and passed the 00000 after that much time?) Sounds like this is a '75 coupe. Not the kind of car that would command a very high dollar regardless of mileage.

If you can't resolve this on your own send it to me and I'll re-set it for you.

Best,
Greg
Old 01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

He didn't say anything about rolling back the odometer in order to represent the car as a low miler or even mentioned selling the car. It seems to me he was asking a technical question that only a couple of members were able to address.

If it's simply a way for the owner to track his rebuild miles on his own car, what's it to anyone else?

Unless that car is a documented low mileage car with a provable pedigree, the odometer reading is arbitrary at best after 30 or 40 years (how many times has it already come up and passed the 00000 after that much time?) Sounds like this is a '75 coupe. Not the kind of car that would command a very high dollar regardless of mileage.

Best,
Greg

I already sent PM to him, if he wanted help. No one is trying to pull anything over on someone.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Best,
Greg

No one is trying to pull anything off on anyone.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
BOBCAT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you seen seen Ferris Buellers Day Off? Try that. I thought about it once but decided that was not the way to go.

Last edited by BOBCAT1; 01-25-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There's a 'right way' to deal with this and a 'wrong way' to deal with this. If you really don't care about how your actions affect anyone else in the world {like many people these days}, just do whatever.....
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Tell ya what, go ahead and roll it back but document it and get it notorized that you did so and for what reason along with the date and the mileage at the time and permanently attach it to the car so that if you die and your wife sells the car because she is thrilled that she is finally going to get some benefit from that damn thing some poor schmuck doesn't think it is truly a low mileage car.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 01-27-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Tell ya what, go ahead and roll it back but document it and get it notorized that you did so and for what reason along with the date and the mileage at the time and permanently attach it to the car so that if you die and your wife sells the car because she is thrilled that she is finally going to get some benefit from that damn thing some poor schmuck doesn't think it is truly a low mileage car.

cc
Ha... If I die first, the Last thing my wife will sell is the Vette.
She would love to have it as her toy.

Quick Reply: rolling back the odometer