Sponsored by:

rolling back the odometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 AM
curtis75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rolling back the odometer

Hi I am rebuilding the engine in my 75 and was thinking that it would make sense to set the odometer to 0. I've heard of people doing this with a drill but it takes for ever. I was wondering if there was a way to do this.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 AM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

rolling back an odometer is against the law. while you may be bringing the engine back to zero miles with a rebuild the rest of the car still has all those miles on it.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:19 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Pretty much useless thing to do with a C3, it rolls over at 100,000 anyway, lots of 30 year old C3's out there with 12K on them
Old 01-23-2008, 03:00 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Roll FORWARD!!!!!

Curtis,
It is illegal in Australia as well to roll odometers BACK, but I am not aware of it being illegal ANYWHERE to roll them FORWARD. Just run your odometer up to 99,990 or so miles and go for a ten mile drive and let nature take its course.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
19 months to go.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 AM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's no different than restamping an engine. Come on, now. Reset your trip odometer if you want to know how many miles since the rebuild. Don't cheat.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The only time such action is legitimate is when you have to change the speedo out and can't reset it to present mileage. When that occurs, you are supposed to take that info to your License Branch along with the car title and have the title amended to show the change (along with the prior mileage). That way future owners can know real vehicle mileage. Just turning it back for "looks" is not legal. You might call the License Branch to see if "show" cars can do this AND change their title accordingly.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The odometer measures mileage on the entire car, not just the engine.
You have have not replaced the engine with a new one, it still has the accumulated stress of the mileage on it.

That's why aircraft engines measure time and cycles since new as well as t&C from overhaul.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Roll back the miles, restamp the engine, make it a Vert, take it to Barrett-Jackson and make a huge profit like the big boys (next time start with a base engine '67 coupe, they make nice 427/435 cars )
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Roll back the miles, restamp the engine, make it a Vert, take it to Barrett-Jackson and make a huge profit like the big boys (next time start with a base engine '67 coupe, they make nice 427/435 cars )

Why not just document the milage from when the engine was installed. You could keep that info in the glove box or just find a hidden spot to write the milage on with a shaprie.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Chris Farrer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 7T1vette. The mileage is not only for the engine but what the whole car has travelled.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 AM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarcrazy02
That's no different than restamping an engine. Come on, now. Reset your trip odometer if you want to know how many miles since the rebuild. Don't cheat.
I don't know how it's handled in other states, but when transfering
a title in Michigan you are required to state if the mileage shown
is "Actual, Incorrect, or over 100k miles".

What becomes legal or illegal is what you do when you sell the car.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 AM
CORVETTEKARL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roll back or ahead. Either way, it's tampering with the odometer and that's illegal in all states.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTEKARL
Roll back or ahead. Either way, it's tampering with the odometer and that's illegal in all states.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default All correct but thats not what he asked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the speedo out and look at how the drum with the numbers is fastened to the assembly so you can put it back the same way then look at how the tabs are positioned and then just figure out , by looking and trying how to change the position of how the numbers line up, very simple to do, removing the speedo is the hardest part of the whole deal. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette odometers have lock tabs between the wheels. The tabs are held straight with a narrow strip of fiber material. These tabs have a slot in the bottom of them that slides over a rail to keep wheels and numbers aligned. Here is the catch, the rail is missing a short section and one of the center tabs does not have a place to lock. This is why they used the fiber to lock that one in place. Why did they design it that way???? Because, if try to reverse the odometer with an electric drill, or drive it forward for that matter, the fiber strip breaks by the tab where the rail is missing and now your odometer wheels no longer line up nor does it work properly, the tab spins with the wheel. This was intentional on GM's part and they used this on several cars during the same era. The only way to change the number sequence is to remove the odometer assembly from the speedo unit. I bought a NOS speedometer for my car three years ago and I had to duplicate the correct mileage on the new one.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis75
Hi I am rebuilding the engine in my 75 and was thinking that it would make sense to set the odometer to 0. I've heard of people doing this with a drill but it takes for ever. I was wondering if there was a way to do this.
Originally Posted by RockyL32
rolling back an odometer is against the law. while you may be bringing the engine back to zero miles with a rebuild the rest of the car still has all those miles on it.
Many years ago I had an Olds W-30 that despite what the seller told me about the mileage, I was certain that the odometer had been tampered with. When the drivetrain was rebuilt, I pulled that speedo and had the odometer turned back to zero. Twenty years later when I sold that car, I disclosed what had been done to the buyer.
Not only did he have an odometer reading that was relevant to the drivetrain, he had a complete maintenance history as well.

When I submitted the mileage for title transfer, I stated that the
mileage was "Incorrect". As far as I was concerned, I broke no laws.
The buyer was more than satisfied.

Do stay away from any drill motors though. As stated in a prior post, there is a procedure for doing this correctly. The person I had do this
was a self proclaimed "expert". I do recall him having to take each digit
apart as described so not damage the unit.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Rope-a-dope
Advanced

Like my Uncle Olaff used to always say " If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Get notified of new replies

To rolling back the odometer

Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your state laws as they are all different. Here is the law in Florida I copied from the DMV. Check out the last few lines...

Odometer Fraud

Is the physical condition of the car consistent with the mileage on the odometer? The odometer reading is an accepted means of determining the dollar value of a motor vehicle. If the vehicle is in exceptionally good condition, perhaps items were replaced due to excessive wear. Also look for scratches on the odometer/dashboard, misaligned digits, digits that stick or an odometer that fits loosely. Any of these may indicate odometer tampering.

If you suspect that the odometer has been rolled back on a vehicle offered for sale, contact your local law enforcement agency or the DMV. If you suspect odometer fraud has occurred with a vehicle you have already purchased, the DMV can assist you in obtaining a record of all previous Florida owners and odometer statements from the dealers involved. If your suspicions are confirmed, you will need to retain an attorney in order to file suit against the violator. Due to the importance of the odometer reading in determining the value and condition of a vehicle, state and federal laws have been enacted making it illegal to tamper with a vehicle's odometer. Under the law it is illegal to:

Disconnect an odometer.
Turn back an odometer.
Drive with a disconnected or non-functional odometer.

It is a violation for anyone (dealer or individual) to sell a vehicle without providing a written statement of the actual mileage at the time of transfer.

Exemptions from odometer disclosure include vehicles which:

Are 10 years old or older.
Have a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of more than 16,000 pounds.
Are not self-propelled.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I did a write up on how to change your mileage or speedometer mileage. Do a search for spedaleden. I would do it for you but my internet is down and I am on dial up It shows step by step with pics
Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Originally Posted by carpedm
Exemptions from odometer disclosure include vehicles which:

Are 10 years old or older.
Have a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of more than 16,000 pounds.
Are not self-propelled.
So then it's legal in Florida on all C1's, C2's, C3's, and C4's.

Personally though I don't think rebuilding the motor is a valid enough reason for resetting the odometer, as the odometer mileage is the mileage the CAR has traveled and really has nothing to do with the motor's run-time.

If you restore the whole car, feel free to reset the odometer, but I just don't think it's right on just a engine rebuild.

Quick Reply: rolling back the odometer