Sponsored by:

Something went terribly wrong. pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's ceramic if you could polish it off. Ceramic is bonded very well to the metal and extremely hard. It's ceramic after all!

I'd bet it's just paint over cheap steel. even steel can be polished brightly.

Also I don't believe the primaries are different metal than the collectors. they are welded together, not easy to do if 1 is stainless and 1 is carbon steel...

does a magnet stick to the pipes? Stainless is not magnetic ( well most types)

Keith
Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

A magnet will stick to all of it except the collector. It sticks to the side pipe slightly so it may be stainless with a chrome coating. Yes you can weld stainless and carbon steel together, been doing it for years. If you use stainless rod, the weld is stainless and use regular rod and the weld will rust but they will all stick together.

When I said I polished it off, I used a 3M rolock disc on a die grinder, never seen paint that tough. But whatever it is, it's not good enough.

No, I wasn't looking for more flow and horsepower, my L-48's 165 horsepower can breath plenty well. I was hoping for a cool look, but it's going to take a little more investment. I'll try to get through this season, then send them to jet hot next winter. Maybe the primarys down by the collector will keep that color for now and not cook off.

Dean

Last edited by '75; 03-24-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
vett us all
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aktbird
A magnet will stick to all of it except the collector. It sticks to the side pipe slightly so it may be stainless with a chrome coating. Yes you can weld stainless and carbon steel together, been doing it for years. If you use stainless rod, the weld is stainless and use regular rod and the weld will rust but they will all stick together.

When I said I polished it off, I used a 3M rolock disc on a die grinder, never seen paint that tough. But whatever it is, it's not good enough.

No, I wasn't looking for more flow and horsepower, my L-48's 165 horsepower can breath plenty well. I was hoping for a cool look, but it's going to take a little more investment. I'll try to get through this season, then send them to jet hot next winter. Maybe the primarys down by the collector will keep that color for now and not cook off.

Dean
Plan on spending over $400 on anything that Jet Hot preps and coats. They are the best though.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

You could just tell your wife that you ran the engine too long on initial startup, and the coating wasn't properly "broken in", and burned off. It'll go something like this:

"My fault, sorry honey, didn't know any better, but don't worry, we'll send them off to Jet Hot, and they'll be good as new! I love you!"

Don't worry, it's ok to lie to women, if you are doing it to keep from hurting their feelings. It's just like the old "Does this dress make me look fat?" bit.

Scott
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

or just take them off and ship them.... keep a cover over the car until they come back....

or just paint them with high temp paint.......
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
ngroat7007
Racer

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Don't return them back, that way your wife will think she made a wrong decision when she bought them for you and that will just break her heart. Send them to Jet-Hot and just tell her that they will be much better if they'll be coated.

You are a very lucky man to that wife!

It just proves that women DON'T know what men want or need.........................Buy that sh*t yourself!!!!!
how is it this guy manages to always have a negative comment to throw in someones face?
has no woman ever done what you wanted or needed?
if so i could never guess why
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Don't return them back, that way your wife will think she made a wrong decision when she bought them for you and that will just break her heart. Send them to Jet-Hot and just tell her that they will be much better if they'll be coated.

You are a very lucky man to that wife!
Tell your wife never to buy you another thing, if you want something tell her you'll buy it yourself!!!! (that way you can spend triple the amount on it and get away with it)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey,

Your car looks very nice.Get the piped coated or chromed and enjoy. BTW, wife did a great job, she at least tried.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ngroat7007

how is it this guy manages to always have a negative comment to throw in someones face?
has no woman ever done what you wanted or needed?
if so i could never guess why
His boyfriend never buys him anything so he is jealous!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

The way those primaries discolor purple and brwwnish gold, I'd say they are a chomium austenitic stainless steel also, regular mild steel doesn't color like that.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:15 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You might also want to paint or cover the visible section of rocker panel before you reinstall the pipes [to make it look a little cleaner]. P.S. It's the thought that counts! Kudos to any wife that tries to help her guy with his car hobby.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The restriction issue is a loaded question. A stock (ish) small block Chevy needs a certain amount of back pressure to run properly. Believe it or not, it takes a pretty mean engine to benifit from open exhaust. Most tame street engines (under 500-600 hp) do better with full exhausts. I do agree however, that the side pipes look super sweet! I'll take a 20 hp kick in the teeth for the look and sound. I just shot my 82 all black and plan to put the flat black pipes on it. I also agree with the majority here. The pipes fit well, just jet hot them and be done with it. After you get them back on the car, give your wife a big hug and kiss for being so thoughtful.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
V-Twin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by earthquake68
The restriction issue is a loaded question. A stock (ish) small block Chevy needs a certain amount of back pressure to run properly.

This is just such an old wives tale! Backpressure is a 2 stroke thing and it prevents over scavenging from the tuned exhaust pulling the fresh a/f mixture out the exhaust and thus robbing the engine of potential energy.
For a 4 stroke, scavenging is key to evacuate the spent gasses and pull in jsut that little extra fresh mxture during valve overlap (against a rising piston) for just that little additional VE, and for that you need proper exhaust pulse strength, directly related to exhaust volume & speed and therefore to primary size, collector size, shape and length. Do NOT confuse this with backpressure. A 4 stroke engine will perform WORSE with a restrictive exhaust.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Update: 1200 miles and 7 months later and the crappy coating is still on the primaries near the collector, but it finished burning off closer to the engine. The strange thing is that they are not rusting yet, the primaries may be something other than mild steel. I had originally planned to get them coated this winter, but with times how they are, I'm going to see if they are rusty in the spring and maybe use some flat black so they don't look too bad till I can afford Jet Hot.

Maybe when I get around to building the 383, I'll do something with the headers then, and also get rid of the reverse flows. Too quiet and will definitely be too restrictive for more than a stock engine.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

No offence......but the 2 tone isnt doing it for me. I'd be spray painting everything black.....today.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
ngroat7007
Racer

Originally Posted by jim2527
No offence......but the 2 tone isnt doing it for me. I'd be spray painting everything black.....today.
thats what the thread is about.... fixing it
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aktbird
Update: 1200 miles and 7 months later and the crappy coating is still on the primaries near the collector, but it finished burning off closer to the engine. The strange thing is that they are not rusting yet, the primaries may be something other than mild steel. I had originally planned to get them coated this winter, but with times how they are, I'm going to see if they are rusty in the spring and maybe use some flat black so they don't look too bad till I can afford Jet Hot.

Maybe when I get around to building the 383, I'll do something with the headers then, and also get rid of the reverse flows. Too quiet and will definitely be too restrictive for more than a stock engine.
Hmmmm headers sorta color match the rims and collector back sorta matches the center caps .... looks good to me

Get notified of new replies

To Something went terribly wrong. pics

Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by ngroat7007
thats what the thread is about.... fixing it
I know...fixing it last March......
Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is wierd, because i have the same product and nothing like this has happend to me.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...tallation.html
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Mikey74Stingray
Racer

I think it looks fine. I wouldn't worry about it until you do the engine build

Quick Reply: Something went terribly wrong. pics