Sponsored by:

That's the last time I take the Vette To School

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 AM
AftComet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's the last time I take the Vette To School

Today was my first day taking my new vette to school , it was also my last.(17, in grade 11 BTW)

I come to go get some lunch and there's a crowd of about 20 people around it looking inside (pressing against the windows.) Some girls even took a picture of themselves standing by it. My first reaction is what the hell? Get away from my vette you freaks. I run to it and tell everyone to "go away." I just couldn't imagine what would have happened if the T-Top was off .

So instead of going to get some pizza I go home, park it and walk back to school. Then later when I got home in the afternoon I saw there were greasy fingerprints all over the windows and some ******* thought it would be funny to bend my antenna.

So from now on, all I'm going to do is use my vette for weekends cruises. At least that way I can have peace of mind. I'll say it again, it's not easy being in a town filled with Rice Racers They catch a glimpse of a vette and it's the new "it" thing.

Last edited by AftComet; 04-09-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 AM
GZVETTE
Racer

Oh man this is a great post it makes me laugh and makes me mad at the same time some people just dont know how to respect a classic muscle car But you know gettin all those girls around could turn out to be aight for you buddy I feel you on the ricer thing man what happen to our generation man Where are the guys our age wanting to get that old muscle car of their dreams and working on it with their dad, you know Instead we got a bunch of 4-bangers everywhere
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate ricers...especially the ones who think they are actually cool
Old 04-09-2008, 12:44 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thing is, some ricers are cool, some really know their ****, some can talk fuel maps and computer controls so well I dont know what the freak they are talking about......then there is the rest.

Seriously, dont let em get you down, realise that they are in some tiny way envious, I mean if they thought your vette was a POS would they be all over it? if the chicks thought the car was ugly, stupid, neolithiic, would they be posing next to it?

Fingerprints are part of the price you pay take my word for it you can drive it only on weekends but unless your plan is to never leave it outta your sight, your gonna come back to fingerprints.

I cant argue against not drinving it to school, I probably wouldnt either, teenagers have a bad tendancy to not think much about their actions and also tend to have a marked disrespect for others property (no offense intended) but dont let it keep you from driving it to the mall, the movies or whatever it is you do for fun.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

be glad thats all you got. my first and last day with the vette at school had it spray painted in under 2 hours.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 AM
standup
Drifting

Enjoy the attention you get from owning a great car !!!!!!! Ricers or not, if you talk to them instead of shooing them away you'll make some new friends......especially the sheilas

BTW, is this what the crowd looked like ? Happens every time I park the Vette

Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you're learning!
It's not worth the attention, just leave the Vette at home.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man I hear you on this one, brother. I'm a senior this year, and it's just as bad at my school. That's why I try to make a point of getting the very first spot closest to the school right by the security camera. It shows the car off a little and I know that if someone tries to screw with it, they'll get caught on tape.

As for the ricers, most of them are stupid, but be cool to them anyway. You'll get more respect. Also, look into a power antenna. You can't bend one of those with the car shut off.

I caught this small crowd at my car. Sorry for the bad quality, it was on a cell phone.

The fingerprints are all part of the game, man. You're part of the minority that's got what the majority doesn't have. Don't be afraid to park it somewhere. However, I'd look into running a heavy duty toggle switch under the dash in the ignition wire. When you park it, flip it off and it'll make it impossible for the car to start.

Last edited by guitarcrazy02; 04-09-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would electrify the car,so if/when they touch it.....zap!!! I'm joking.Lert me shine some light on this.....I NEVER EVER NEVER EVER let anyone dictate what I do,or want to do.That is your car....drive it to school,and everywhere else.They may not have meant to bend the antenna,bud,but sh%t does happen.Look into the power one like the other youngster suggested.Drive your car,man.Take precautions...yes,and HOPE for the best,but why the hell are you walking to school when you have a vett at home?Those people are dictating what you do.Be yourself,enjoy your car,enjoy that you are a youngster,and I imagine w/the only vett in the parking lot.Use it,enjoy it,or go get a ricer,and be just like the "other" kids.My friend is 18 tomorrow,and unless he's hanging side exhaust,or changing some intake,etc.....he drives his 73 nearly everyday to school.
Never let anyone park your car in your drive.If they scratch it....fix it,but drive it!!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Doinit Once
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in high school (grad 1962,;ya I know) a kid started driving his brand new blue '61 Chevie 2 door impala, big block (348 then), 4 spd etc. to school: every day. His dad owned a chevy/olds dealership. That car lasted less than a week before it disappeared out of the lot. Not too long after that he showed up driving a brand new corvette convertable. He was more careful with this car as it lasted almost 3 weeks before it disappeared out of the lot.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

If you own a classic corvette, drive it to school, the mall, where ever, you should get used to the crowds, stares, fingerprints, etc.

I once parked my car outside my girlfriends house (she lives like three doors down from an elementary school). After about thirty minutes i came out and there were about ten small hand prints all over the front. I didnt realy care because i could clean them off.

As for your car, get used to it. People will always stare, gather, and touch, even if you dont like it. You will come to love the attention. Plus the fingerprints could be scratches...

Next time you should run up to the group and play along with them, pretending you have no idea whos car it is. Ask peope what they think of the car, and you will get some un-biased answers because they do not know its your car. That will be fun
Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarcrazy02
Oh man I hear you on this one, brother. I'm a senior this year, and it's just as bad at my school. That's why I try to make a point of getting the very first spot closest to the school right by the security camera. It shows the car off a little and I know that if someone tries to screw with it, they'll get caught on tape.

As for the ricers, most of them are stupid, but be cool to them anyway. You'll get more respect. Also, look into a power antenna. You can't bend one of those with the car shut off.

I caught this small crowd at my car. Sorry for the bad quality, it was on a cell phone.

The fingerprints are all part of the game, man. You're part of the minority that's got what the majority doesn't have. Don't be afraid to park it somewhere. However, I'd look into running a heavy duty toggle switch under the dash in the ignition wire. When you park it, flip it off and it'll make it impossible for the car to start.
all words of wisdom

get some t-top locks as well. ('Moons' are my favorite, but hard to find)
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,718 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Many people will appreciate your car.....and many people will be jealous of it. Jealousy is a very interesting emotion; it causes usually rational people to do totally irrational things. People who might not be prone to vandalism somehow become pi$$ed-off that you have something that they don't. Hence the bent antenna. Did that act do something for them? No. But it somehow made them feel better by doing it. I owned an '84 C4 when they first came out--and worked for General Motors. Within 30 days of the purchase I had a major key drag on my driver's side door in the parking lot of a GM plant. If it had been a Japanese made car [at that point in time], I could have understood it....but....people do crazy $hi! when they become jealous.

There is no doubt that, in a college parking lot, you're going to get more of the same if you park it there.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM
markbett
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I got to pay to have girls gather around me! Consider yourself a luck man.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove the Vette to school one day when I was in high school. I had EVERYONE coming up to me and asking about it. Course, you get the typical, "my car could kill that" or the more typical, "my dad's car could kill that" but it's all part of it. The people that matter, the girls, don't care, and they LOVE to be seen in that car.

My Vette was keyed at a party a few weeks later. Stupid me for driving it there to show off, but insurance paid for a new paint job that the car needed anyway. On the police report the dumb cop put "Ford Corvette."
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
AftComet
Advanced

Originally Posted by another-user
be glad thats all you got. my first and last day with the vette at school had it spray painted in under 2 hours.
Wow. Now that would have made me pissed. It's enough of a hassle giving just the initial coat of paint.

Originally Posted by DMONSVETTE
Now you're learning!
It's not worth the attention, just leave the Vette at home.
I just hope I don't have to "learn" this stuff anymore

Originally Posted by Doinit Once
When I was in high school (grad 1962,;ya I know) a kid started driving his brand new blue '61 Chevie 2 door impala, big block (348 then), 4 spd etc. to school: every day. His dad owned a chevy/olds dealership. That car lasted less than a week before it disappeared out of the lot. Not too long after that he showed up driving a brand new corvette convertable. He was more careful with this car as it lasted almost 3 weeks before it disappeared out of the lot.
He's brave bringing another. I probably would have not gotten another car for a long time.

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Next time you should run up to the group and play along with them, pretending you have no idea whos car it is. Ask peope what they think of the car, and you will get some un-biased answers because they do not know its your car. That will be fun
That would be awesome! Good idea. Unbiased reactions are always cool. I'd love to see the look on their face after this conversation:

Vette Guy: What do you think of this ride!
Bystander: It's spectacular! Whoever owns it has amazing taste. I'd love to be his shoes!
Vette Guy: Yeah.... well cya! (Get's in Vette.)

Originally Posted by SuprJames
I drove the Vette to school one day when I was in high school. I had EVERYONE coming up to me and asking about it. Course, you get the typical, "my car could kill that" or the more typical, "my dad's car could kill that" but it's all part of it. The people that matter, the girls, don't care, and they LOVE to be seen in that car.

My Vette was keyed at a party a few weeks later. Stupid me for driving it there to show off, but insurance paid for a new paint job that the car needed anyway. On the police report the dumb cop put "Ford Corvette."
This is exactly why I try to avoid parties. I'm more of the cruiser right now.

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Many people will appreciate your car.....and many people will be jealous of it. Jealousy is a very interesting emotion; it causes usually rational people to do totally irrational things. People who might not be prone to vandalism somehow become pi$$ed-off that you have something that they don't. Hence the bent antenna. Did that act do something for them? No. But it somehow made them feel better by doing it. I owned an '84 C4 when they first came out--and worked for General Motors. Within 30 days of the purchase I had a major key drag on my driver's side door in the parking lot of a GM plant. If it had been a Japanese made car [at that point in time], I could have understood it....but....people do crazy $hi! when they become jealous.

There is no doubt that, in a college parking lot, you're going to get more of the same if you park it there.
Jealousy is stupid. But we've all been jealous sometimes right? Just remember to control yourself when you are. Too bad about your C4.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

people are just plain disrespectful

Get notified of new replies

To That's the last time I take the Vette To School

Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Need pics of girls hanging around your car. C'mon, it couldn't have been all that bad.

Rickman
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

I took Dad's '69 Vette convert to school a few times back in the late 70's. I have some "interesting" stories but no bad ones.

Drive it and let them see it.

-Mark.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
OogieBoogie
Racer

I drove mine to work for the fist time since the new paint and interior, and every customer that pulled into the lot had to stop and look in and at it. These cars are beautiful!!!! Get used to the attention whereever you go. C3's are works of art that draw others to it.

Quick Reply: That's the last time I take the Vette To School