C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Keep T-Top Weatherstrip From Sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:34 PM
WillEE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Keep T-Top Weatherstrip From Sticking?

Well I'm fairly new to Vette ownership but noticed when I took the T-tops off the weatherstripping really wanted to cling to the car. I was thinking there's gotta be somehting you could coat this with so releases easy. Well - anybody have something they recommend that's proven to work?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Step Dad used to clean all the weather stripping with a rubber treatment of some kind when he had sticking problems. I have never personally had the problem so I don't know how much more help I can be.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this the first time you have removed the tops or does it do this every time you remove the tops? It could be they haven't been off for a long time and that caused the rubber to stick to the car. I treat the weatherstripping on all of my cars with Meguire's rubber and vinyl protectant. Actually, it's the only stuff I'll detail the inside of my cars with.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:18 PM
WillEE
Pro

This is first time I removed them - the previous owner had new T-tops put on and likely have been on their for a couple years w/o being removed. Maybe it won't be an issue next time but I'll try the Megires which can only help. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

I use a marine grade protectant called 303. You might have to visit a boat place to find it or get it on the web. I've been using it on rubber weatherstrip, vinyl trim, tires, etc for years. Doesn't produce the glossy shine some of the other protectants do but that's one of the reasons I prefer it.

I also know a guy that uses silicone spray lube for his weatherstrip. Seems to work well.

DC
Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader vette

Yep DC 3 said it all, A Hottub cover also uses the protectent 303 any good hottub place or @sonshine covers has it ask for Donna.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

One of my stints since leaving the corporate world was an 18-month period in service at a GM Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership. In winter people would have their cars washed at -20*F and then find that the metal on their doors was frozen to the weatherstripping. This led to some frustration as you can imagine.

The solution was simple and inexpensive. GM/Delco sells a silicone emulsion for weatherstripping. It repels water and prevents rubber rot. So the ice would not form on the rubber. I have just treated all the rubber on my 1974 convertible; not for ice but for rot. It will serve your t-top purposes as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 515 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by paul67
One of my stints since leaving the corporate world was an 18-month period in service at a GM Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership. In winter people would have their cars washed at -20*F and then find that the metal on their doors was frozen to the weatherstripping. This led to some frustration as you can imagine.

The solution was simple and inexpensive. GM/Delco sells a silicone emulsion for weatherstripping. It repels water and prevents rubber rot. So the ice would not form on the rubber. I have just treated all the rubber on my 1974 convertible; not for ice but for rot. It will serve your t-top purposes as well.

this is really good stuff!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree silicone is effective.

I once had an extremely knowledgeable and experienced Vette guy tell me to use a light coating of clean brake fluid for sticking T-Tops. never tried it but was kinda surprised at the suggestion.

Smile on
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuttin
I agree silicone is effective.

I once had an extremely knowledgeable and experienced Vette guy tell me to use a light coating of clean brake fluid for sticking T-Tops. never tried it but was kinda surprised at the suggestion.

Smile on
Yeah...brake fluid is great for the paint....
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Very bad idea. Use a silicone product or a polymer polish like Nu-Vinyl to put on your weatherstrips. That also will protect them from drying out.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Brake fluid? Keep it away from paint, vinyl, rubber, etc. Anything you do not plan to dissolve and replace. Where do these bizarre ideas come from?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Once very three months I spray all my w/s on the car with a 100% silcone spray. DO NOT use anything other than silicone, it will eat the rubber up bad.

I have all NOS w/s on my car, and this treatment keeps them soft and prevents sticking.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
corvette744
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

silicone and nothing else period.............
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Silicone grease

Found out about this in my 96 Corvette's owner manual. Apply to weatherstripping Delco Remy 1974984 1 D#1920 Silicone Dielectric Grease . Come is a small plastic tube and is clear.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 AM
ribilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most auto part stores carry an aerosol brand of spray silicone to spray on as a lubricant on doors, locks, wires etc. Cleanest way would be to spray some on a clean shop rag and wipe down the rubber surface. I used to see it in alot of hardware type stores or like Bennys Auto, called it Alumalube but it was just silicone for lubiing Aluminum Strom windows.

Bill in RI
Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
Brake fluid? Keep it away from paint, vinyl, rubber, etc. Anything you do not plan to dissolve and replace. Where do these bizarre ideas come from?
I kid you not...this was suggested from an old school strip racer who's been around vettes for the better parts of 40 years. He currently owns two C1's that he completely resto'd to Bloomington Gold status. Also owns a 66 that's underway (used to be his race car). I had owned my '79 for all of a week and mentioned the sticking of the T-Tops and this is what I was told. There may have been a time when this was the best/only option, but who am I to judge. I just let common sense prevail and used silicone instead...

Get notified of new replies

To How to Keep T-Top Weatherstrip From Sticking?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

I kid you not...this was suggested from an old school strip racer who's been around vettes for the better parts of 40 years. He currently owns two C1's that he completely resto'd to Bloomington Gold status. Also owns a 66 that's underway (used to be his race car). I had owned my '79 for all of a week and mentioned the sticking of the T-Tops and this is what I was told. There may have been a time when this was the best/only option, but who am I to judge. I just let common sense prevail and used silicone instead...
(Variation on this theme). Many, many years ago I pulled a real dumb move. My car (1963 Impala) was low on brake fluid. In my garage I had some hydraulic fluid for jacks and similar equipment. The automobile brake system IS hydraulic...?? So I topped up. About three days later the brakes went out on me. Every rubber component from master cylinder innards to wheel cylinder seals had turned to goop/mush. Life lesson learned.

I won't get into bringing lacquer thinner near painted surfaces. That is a story for another day.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
ribilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he meant Dot 5 silicone brake fluid? Still sounds scary, I would stick with a pure sliicone spray or wax and keep my distance from any kind of brake fluid.

Bill in RI
Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

I got some stuff in a tube at a Napa Store. It's called Sil-Glide, blue and yellow tube. This stuff is great. Highly recomend it for t-tops...

Just a suggestion>>>DON'T EVER GET ANY KIND OF BRAKE FLUID NEAR YOUR PAINT. <<<<

Dave

Quick Reply: How to Keep T-Top Weatherstrip From Sticking?