Sponsored by:

Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 AM
slayer2_2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Maybe I'm confused here......but I thought is site was intended for the Corvette hobbyist. A place where we Vetteheads can go to either trade info, provide help, and generally BS. Of course, if you have parts, you can sell them, but even here, most of us like to give out lower prices on parts than other places, due to the "club like" nature of this site. I am certainly not trying to hurt this gentleman's buisness (especially because my top on my 68 pops out all the time)..........but until now, if anyone had asked me where to go for advice, from guys who were willing and happy to give it (for free) I would have said here.....having said that, I'm sure others know how to fix this problem, so maybe you could start another thread explaininig. My opinion (for what it is worth), advise and tips on this site should be free.......kinda takes the fun out of the hobby if it's not.

Have a safe Christmas guys..........
John
this forum is a place for trade information without pay for it...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I don't think this guy gets it. Nobody is going to send you parts from their car without more of an explanation and some pics. God knows what the parts would look like when they got them back. If your trying to make a quick $, take it to ebay.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Babypig
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default here's the deal

For those who are interested, If your convertible top pops out and you have exhausted all your efforts like i did, i can make those latches bit down on that top pin and it won't pop out anymore.The factory spring mechanism is horsecrap,all i did is add another spring,anyone can figure it out.If you don't want to dick around countless hours i can do it for you and all you do is reinstall and drive and forget it and go onto the next problem.My profile is not attractive, I have a chin that sticks out abit too much.I have been here since 2005.This is simple, call me at 631-555 and we can talk and then make your own decisions.

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by tikkaboy270
...The factory spring mechanism is horsecrap...
You have a biased opinion. My "horsecrap" latch springs are now forty years old and continue to work just fine. I have the rear bow pins correctly adjusted.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see what modifications are done to the latch seeing I have had this occur more than I would like.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Babypig
Racer

Originally Posted by John D.
I would like to see what modifications are done to the latch seeing I have had this occur more than I would like.

what is your phone number?I will call you or call me at 631-651-2721.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Babypig
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You have a biased opinion. My "horsecrap" latch springs are now forty years old and continue to work just fine. I have the rear bow pins correctly adjusted.

Buddy,my car is a big block and has a newer 7 leaf HD spring installed as should be.When that car is moving and hits rough road she starts to shake, it's a rough ride with this spring.What happens is the top pins actually start to open the latches and the natural tendency of the top is to pull away from the latch.When conditions are met and the stock spring on the latch is working as it should, that top will pop out.It doesn't happen on every car.But those that do it will drive you nuts.What i have done is pretty much added another spring to the mechanism leaving the factory spring in place.When i first drove down the road waiting for that top to pop, ifound myself looking for bumps and pot holes,nothing!It worked and the car was so much more rigid and tight.All you naysayers who think i'm hosing people, you are dopes, because this works great, and is virtually undectable.How good is this? anybody that calls me i will talk to them about it and if i like you i tell you how to do it,but the trick is the spring.I spent hours finding the right spring,so for those of you who's top doesn't pop, not for you,beat it and stop being miserable bastards.Thank you and i don't have pictures because im not that sophisticated yet.Thank you.631-555

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I used a cap screw and keep an allen wrench in the car. Does this qualify me for Bubba status?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Babypig
Racer

Default rigging

if it works and your happy man,so be it.All the adjustments in the world i tried and she still popped out drove me nuts. 2tiny holes drilled and the right spring your in.631-651-2721
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
I used a cap screw and keep an allen wrench in the car. Does this qualify me for Bubba status?
Last night, I was working on the vacuum system and I noticed a little short piece of vacuum hose that had fallen off which I think is probably why I have to open the wiper door with the auxilliary switch. I tried to put the hose back on, but it was a little dry-rotted and wouldn't hold to the connector. The piece is only about 4 inches long, but I didn't have any hose in that diameter in the garage, so I sealed it with a little electrical tape wound sticky side out around the connector (so I would only gum up the hose to be replaced with the glue from tape). Bottom line is: we all have a little bit of Bubba in us!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buddy,my car is a big block and has a newer 7 leaf HD spring installed as should be.When that car is moving and hits rough road she starts to shake, it's a rough ride with this spring.What happens is the top pins actually start to open the latches and the natural tendency of the top is to pull away from the latch.When conditions are met and the stock spring on the latch is working as it should, that top will pop out.It doesn't happen on every car.But those that do it will drive you nuts.What i have done is pretty much added another spring to the mechanism leaving the factory spring in place.When i first drove down the road waiting for that top to pop, ifound myself looking for bumps and pot holes,nothing!It worked and the car was so much more rigid and tight.All you naysayers who think i'm hosing people, you are dopes, because this works great, and is virtually undectable.How good is this? anybody that calls me i will talk to them about it and if i like you i tell you how to do it,but the trick is the spring.I spent hours finding the right spring,so for those of you who's top doesn't pop, not for you,beat it and stop being miserable bastards.Thank you and i don't have pictures because im not that sophisticated yet.Thank you.631-555

Loose the attitude Dude!

Nobody is questioning your design, just your approach. Insulting your customer base will not improve your sales.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Babypig
Racer

Originally Posted by eastltd
Loose the attitude Dude!

Nobody is questioning your design, just your approach. Insulting your customer base will not improve your sales.
Buddy, I'm opening up here alittle if your following this thread and you're talking about my attitude! Didn't you have some interest in this earlier?How come you didn't call me? I will talk to you or give me your # , i'll call you.631-555

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Buddy, I'm opening up here alittle if your following this thread and you're talking about my attitude! Didn't you have some interest in this earlier?How come you didn't call me? I will talk to you or give me your # , i'll call you.631-555
I took an interest in the thread as I'm interested in all things corvette. I have a coupe so your fix doen't apply to me however I've noticed your attitude get progressivley worse as people tried to suggest you follow forum protocol.

Since I don't own a ragtop, I now fall into your "Beat it, you bastard" catagory and I don't like that!

enuff said

Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Babypig
Racer

Originally Posted by eastltd
I took an interest in the thread as I'm interested in all things corvette. I have a coupe so your fix doen't apply to me however I've noticed your attitude get progressivley worse as people tried to suggest you follow forum protocol.

Since I don't own a ragtop, I now fall into your "Beat it, you bastard" catagory and I don't like that!

enuff said
Hey eastltd, im sorry for calling you a bastard, it's all in good fun.I took some abuse but i'm good now.I like your big motor on your avitar there, all that power in a corvette,that could possibly cause a t-top to pop out, be careful as i don't have a fix for that yet.I love you man and have a good holiday season.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Hey eastltd, im sorry for calling you a bastard, it's all in good fun.I took some abuse but i'm good now.I like your big motor on your avitar there, all that power in a corvette,that could possibly cause a t-top to pop out, be careful as i don't have a fix for that yet.I love you man and have a good holiday season.
Apology accepted, no harm done
Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

For those who are interested, If your convertible top pops out and you have exhausted all your efforts like i did, i can make those latches bit down on that top pin and it won't pop out anymore.The factory spring mechanism is horsecrap,all i did is add another spring,anyone can figure it out.If you don't want to dick around countless hours i can do it for you and all you do is reinstall and drive and forget it and go onto the next problem.My profile is not attractive, I have a chin that sticks out abit too much.I have been here since 2005.This is simple, call me at 631-555 and we can talk and then make your own decisions.
If you had to add another spring, then it sounds like your latches were just gummed up from old grease and dirt from over the years and all they needed were a good cleaning and re-oiled. Just adding another spring is what we call here on the forum as just another " BUBBA FIX "

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Babypig
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
If you had to add another spring, then it sounds like your latches were just gummed up from old grease and dirt from over the years and all they needed were a good cleaning and re-oiled. Just adding another spring is what we call here on the forum as just another " BUBBA FIX "
Bj,the stupid little spring that is on that latch is not strong enough in those cases, it is like me laying on my stomach with you standing over me and i reach out and grab your ankle and try to knock you down, the angle and closing srtrength just aren't there. My big block car takes a pounding on the road,maybe my spring is too tight, but it's right for my car.My spring set-up is simple and you dont even see it when the latch is on the car.It draws the clam shell super tight, there is no pin movement when closed and the top is tight reducing rattles and shakes.This is not rocket science.If those latches can open without much effort it can cause pop-out, that's it.let's go guys ,get it done and over with and you won't look like an idiot on the side of the road pushing your top back in.631-555

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This guy's never going to get it! I'm otta here!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Babypig
Racer

Originally Posted by Raphiki
This guy's never going to get it! I'm otta here!
bye ralph, happy holidays!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Why do you not just offer a repair kit with instructions at a reasonable price? Think through what you are asking. I have to remove my latches (value ~$130.00), ship them to you/a stranger ($20.00 or so), you repair ($95.00), you ship back ($20.00 or so), and I re-install the latches. Cut out the unnecessary steps. Most of us can turn a wrench.

Quick Reply: Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution