Sponsored by:

Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Babypig
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

I have a simple modification to the common problem of convertible top pop-out.This modification is minor and will stop your softtop from poping out of the rear while driving and will actually pull your car together, reducing all sorts of noises and movement. Send me your top latches fom the rear decklid underside and it's done, no more softtop popout.You can call me 631-555.Thank you.Tim

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Man that’s a elaborate way to get a couple of free latches

j/k
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Babypig
Racer

Default scooter

Are you calling me a crook?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tikkaboy270
Are you calling me a crook?

He said J/K.

Seriously though, it might help if you provided a bit more information. People might actually take interest before the mods shut the thread down because you're selling a product or service without being a vendor. Give them a reason to contact you other than just asking for almost $100.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Babypig
Racer

Default many thanks

Fellas, thanks for the help.I didn't show up on this forum yesterday.I am not aware of forum rules regarding being a vendor.I am a common man just offerring to help fellow owners who are experiencing the same softtop popout problems that I had.Adding more detail I could do, I could also explain how it is done and be a reaal sweetheart, however,if i had lots of time and a fat wallet I wouldn't be on this forum, I would probably pay everyone to do things for me.if you have any advice to help me post here, i will appreciate it, if your comments are negative and unhelpful,i really don't care for you.Thank you
Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fellas, thanks for the help.I didn't show up on this forum yesterday.I am not aware of forum rules regarding being a vendor.I am a common man just offerring to help fellow owners who are experiencing the same softtop popout problems that I had.Adding more detail I could do, I could also explain how it is done and be a reaal sweetheart, however,if i had lots of time and a fat wallet I wouldn't be on this forum, I would probably pay everyone to do things for me.if you have any advice to help me post here, i will appreciate it, if your comments are negative and unhelpful,i really don't care for you.Thank you

See that's kind of the problem. You're here to sell information. In order to sell information you have to be a paying vendor. Contact the moderator Savewave to set up an account if that's the route you want to go.

The forum is free for people to sign up, and the information found here is free for everyone to search for and use. In order for you to post this kind of information without being a vendor you'd have to take pictures and explain the process and show how to fix the problem that other Vette owners share. That's just how this forum works...trying to exchange information just for the sake of helping someone else.

If you require money in return for your information or service these threads will not last. There are very strict rules about selling information and services and you must be a vendor to do both unless it's just a used part or something simple for sale in the C3 Parts section.

I'm no ragging on you, but I just wanted you to understand that in order to sell products or services using forum resources to make money you need to be a vendor.

Good luck, and even though I don't have a vert I would be very interested in learning your fix to the pop out. Maybe when you decide you're a real sweetheart and someday have a fat wallet you'll pass on your secrets. We're just a 'giving' community here.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Ibtl

Before I learned how to properly adjust the latch pins I just replaced the bayonet type pin with a threaded rod cut to length and a big fender washer and nut and bolted the sucker down, much the same as the hardtop is, kinda bubba but it worked well. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Before I learned how to properly adjust the latch pins I just replaced the bayonet type pin with a threaded rod cut to length and a big fender washer and nut and bolted the sucker down, much the same as the hardtop is, kinda bubba but it worked well. Peace,,,Moosie
I was thinking the same thing as a fix but mine don't pop out??? I either did a good job adjusting the pins or this may be a solution looking for a problem?

Last edited by Paul L; 12-15-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=paul67;1568207146]I was thinking the same thing as a fix but mine don't pop out??? I either did a good job adjusting the pins or this may be a solution looking for a problem?
[QUOTE]

I’m with you guys, adjust them correctly, and no problem with them popping out.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep....Unless the latches are siezed, all that's needed is a rod adjustment or a striker pin adjustment. The guide pins in the door jam control rigidity not the soft top.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
jlelec
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Peyton Place...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
See that's kind of the problem. You're here to sell information. In order to sell information you have to be a paying vendor. Contact the moderator Savewave to set up an account if that's the route you want to go.

The forum is free for people to sign up, and the information found here is free for everyone to search for and use. In order for you to post this kind of information without being a vendor you'd have to take pictures and explain the process and show how to fix the problem that other Vette owners share. That's just how this forum works...trying to exchange information just for the sake of helping someone else.

If you require money in return for your information or service these threads will not last. There are very strict rules about selling information and services and you must be a vendor to do both unless it's just a used part or something simple for sale in the C3 Parts section.

I'm no ragging on you, but I just wanted you to understand that in order to sell products or services using forum resources to make money you need to be a vendor.

Good luck, and even though I don't have a vert I would be very interested in learning your fix to the pop out. Maybe when you decide you're a real sweetheart and someday have a fat wallet you'll pass on your secrets. We're just a 'giving' community here.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default It's all about Corvette brotherhood

He has no miracle cure! All you need is the proper shims and the correct adjustments and you will have no problem, unless your frame is so weak that you are getting flex. Any good forum member would volunteer his help.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a simple modification to the common problem of convertible top pop-out.This modification is minor and will stop your softtop from poping out of the rear while driving and will actually pull your car together, reducing all sorts of noises and movement. Send me your top latches fom the rear decklid underside and it's done, no more softtop popout.You can call me 631-555.Thank you.Tim
Put it on Craig's list. That seems to be okay.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by bj1k
He has no miracle cure! All you need is the proper shims and the correct adjustments and you will have no problem, unless your frame is so weak that you are getting flex. Any good forum member would volunteer his help.
Every frame should flex. Actually, I am constantly amazed at how much they flex without messing up how the doors and deck lid work. When I was working on my starter motor, I couldn't believe how high I could get the right front with all three of the other wheels on the ground. When it was up high enough for me to get my big body under there and I wanted to get in to test the starter, I was afraid of opening the door thinking that the flex would cause binding etc. Nope, the door opened and closed perfectly. In case anyone is wondering, I have been all over that frame and it is solid as rock. It looks like it was cleaned up fairly recently and painted, but tap it anywhere with the ball peen and the bounce and ring are all there.

Back to soft top pins: Convertible tops are actually one of the areas I have some experience with. Trouble locking down the top, or the top popping out while driving is an adjustment of one thing or another, or a spring that is broken or old and not working properly. If you live in NJ anywhere near me and are having this problem, send me $25 and I will come over to your house with a case of good beer and I'll help you diagnose and fix the problem. For $10, I'll show up with a six pack.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Babypig
Racer

Default Keep talking fellas

Keep it up fellas,oops I have to go , there's the phone again.But before i split, just imagine the latch nice and tight clamping down on your pins,pop out eliminated.Those who are reading this and have this problem this will help you, I can't be the only one who was experiencing this constatnt problem, call me at 631-555.Yeah scotty, I'm trying to get everybody's latches out there, thanks pal.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Babypig
Racer

Default miracle cure

Originally Posted by bj1k
That's right this is no miracle cure friend, but it is a cure.

Get notified of new replies

To Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution

Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Babypig
Racer

Default moosie

Yeah moosie, idid that to, but look at what you did,it's called rigging it man, what a mess.I have a simple way to make those clam shell latches draw together like a pit bull so when you go over harsh roads that top doesn't even move, I was impressed with the change, ijust added another way of closing those latches without altering them dramatically, virtually undetectable.631-555

Last edited by IrishMac; 12-17-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what's the fee for this service?

Quick Reply: Does your softtop pop out while driving-there is a solution