Sponsored by:

door panel fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
buddysmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default door panel fit

hi to all, just started to instal my door panels on my 74.the fit is bad. picked up a pair listed as nos .i understand that the fit on panels is bad across the board but come on. it looks like the upper lip on the door does not come up high enough to catch the panel and hold it. what do others do to tweak the panel for a decent fit or do we just have to go with it. an't interested buying panels until i get a pair that fit.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I ran into a very similar problem with some panels I bought from Al Knoch in the early 90's.
Tried to install one a few weeks ago. Won't seat on the top of the door. Hole for the lock
shaft ends up being too high which suggests the panel isn't seating on top of the door.

I compared the originals. The contour on the top of the panel was different. The Al Knoch panels were shallower. Originals dipped about 1 1/2" at the lowest point. Al Knoch panels dipped only 1". Seemed to explain why they may not seat properly. The ends of the panels bottomed out before the mid section seated.

Originals are in fair to good condition. standard panels. New ones were supposed to be upgrades to deluxe.

I bought these panels long ago. May not be an issue with new ones?

Are yours really NOS? Do they have fiberboard backing or vinyl?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
buddysmith
Advanced

Default door panel fit

the panels I bought have the fiberboard backing and the fitting issues seem to be as yours were/are.mine also are the delux panel.mine also has manuel windows so the window crank hole has been cut outso unless I am missing something, I can't test fit without destroying the panel. oh the joys of owning a c3.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by buddysmith
...picked up a pair listed as nos...
You should find stamped dates on the backs of the panels.

I had no problems with the fit of the panels on my '74.

FWIW: Fit the top of the panel first along the door glass, then work your way down.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Are yours really NOS? Do they have fiberboard backing or vinyl?
Yes, they are NOS, bought from Stoudt Auto Sales in PA back in 91, I just sold them to Buddy. Door panels go on the lip at the top of the door first and kind of "snap" down, then the panel is screwed with the clips. Panel isn't meant to attach and then try to stretch the top over the lip of the top of the door. They are one hundred percent GM panels, and 85% of GM stuff's fit is questionable most the time so guess how much of the repro's don't even come close!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Yes, I hang the panel off of the top first, get it seated over the lip, then let it swing in
toward the door. My originals fit fine. They're standard panels in fair to good condition.

An unpleasant surprise to find the panels I bought 16 years ago don't fit. I contacted Al Knoch, a long shot since it's been soooooooo long. They requested photos of the problem.
No argument from them. Just said it's been too long to offer replacements. Figured I'd try anyway.

I'm wondering if there may have been a design change in later years? Are 1970 panels really the same as say 1975 panels? Seems strange these factory replacements sound like they have the same problem as my Al Knoch panels. No way they'll fit. The top contour is shallow on the new panels, doesn't really follow the top of the door very well. Could
some aftermarket vendors be getting the top plate from the same supplier as GM did?

I did try bending the lip in the aftermarket panels outward slightly, thinking the problem could be they were catching on the top edge. Didn't help. Once they were hanging on the
door the front and back ends of the panel appeared to be sitting flush on top of the door.
The middle section appeared to be sitting high.

I may try Al Knoch again or another vendor in the future. Being sure to test fit immediately. I've learned to be skeptical of aftermarket parts, can't assume fit and finish will be what I'm after. I've heard arrangements can be made to have Al Knoch install panels if you make arrangements in advance to meet at a show they're attending? One way to deal with this.

At least the factory panels had the fiberboard backing. I've heard of warping issues with the ones which have vinyl backing.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM
buddysmith
Advanced

Default door panel fit

I have been attempting to mount the panel from the top first as mentioned, but then when I work my way down and fasten each bottom bracket the top will pop off the upper lip, guess I will just keep trying and hope to get lucky .
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Buddy,
I'd think the 2 upper screws (1 front and 1 rear) would keep the top of the panel from popping off while you're fitting the bottom, even if you just 'start' the 2 screws.
Are you able to put those screws in place first?
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
buddysmith
Advanced

Default door panel fit

Alan, I don't have any screws at the top, only two clips at the bottom. one at the front and one at the rear. no clips at the top. therein could be my problem. take off panels didn't have any upper screws either only the bottom clips and the ones holding the door pull handle to the frame. could you be a descriptive on the two upper ones please.don't mean to sound so ignorant.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the assembly instruction manual (AIM). Most C3s of this era had the trim screws in the door panels as Alan mentions.

Check the old panels you removed for evidence screw holes. '68 shown.

Note trim screws in the front and rear corners. Typical.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
buddysmith
Advanced

Default door panel fit

I just checked my AIM and it shows the two upper screws. My take off panels didn't have them so I just assumed that they were not there. Will pull my panels off again and look for the screw holes on the inner door. That should get me in the right direction. Thanks so much for all the help from everyone that has taken the time to reply to my issue. Maybe some day I will have the knowledge about these cars that each of you have and have been willing to share.
Thanks again.
Buddy
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...Will pull my panels off again and look for the screw holes on the inner door...
If you find the trick for matching the screw holes in the door with new holes you are putting in the trim panels, we all want to know it.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

If the panel is popping off the top lip it sounds like it's not seating.
Does the hole for the lock shaft line up?

Yes, there should be a screw on each end at the top of the panel.
If you need to drill a hole in the panel I'm not sure how you're going to match it to an
existing hole. If the holes are there in the panel, I'd use an awl to locate the hole and pull the panel into alignment.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
buddysmith
Advanced

Default door panel fit

When I pull the panel off I will check to see if there is a screw hole already there and if there is a hole in the fiberboard backing of the panel that has not been opened up like the one for the window crank. If not just drill through the panel into the door frame ???

It does seem like the lip on the panel is to shallow and does not fit deep enough onto the door. Will spend some more time with them.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Check the assembly instruction manual (AIM). Most C3s of this era had the trim screws in the door panels as Alan mentions.

Check the old panels you removed for evidence screw holes. '68 shown.

Note trim screws in the front and rear corners. Typical.

You can see the screw on the top rear corner of the panel.
Should have a hole in your door in this area. One in the front as well.

If your lock shaft lines up and the top of the panel sits about where it should be, you may be OK. The top screws may hold the panel in place.
Sounds like there was some inconsistency with the stamping of the top plate used to make the panels? Maybe a design change?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 PM
buddysmith
Advanced

Default door panel fit

mine is a 74 vert, the panels are listed to fit up thru 75 so one would think that any design changes would have been taken care of. The door lock and the window crank all seem to align through the panel ok. I guess that I had forgotten what I have and that no two of them seem to be the same. Gotta love em !!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

mine is a 74 vert, the panels are listed to fit up thru 75 so one would think that any design changes would have been taken care of. The door lock and the window crank all seem to align through the panel ok. I guess that I had forgotten what I have and that no two of them seem to be the same. Gotta love em !!!!
Mine is a 70 Coupe with a big block.
What made me think of a design change was the similar issue with the top of the panel not clipping onto the door as it should. Similar to the Al Knoch panel I have. Al Knoch has a good reputation from what I've heard. Made me wonder if there's a subtle difference between early
C3s and mid years. Since we're nearly at opposite ends of the years these panels cover, 70 and 74, it doesn't seem to be a design issue.

Get notified of new replies

To door panel fit

Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked and my '74 does NOT have the screws. My '76 does. I don't know why they would remove them then go back to the screws, but it looks like that's what they did.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Interesting.
Suggests the tops of the panels MUST clip properly over the tabs to hold them on.
I personally would rather have the door fit over the tabs properly. One reason I'm not using the deluxe panels I bought years ago.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
jim70vette
Heel & Toe

Default door panel fit

I'm also in the process of putting my Al Knoch door panels on my 70 convertible. Had anyone had any luck attaching the bottom clips to the door panels. The panels I have are about 15 years old and there's no lip for the clips to catch to on the door panel. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: door panel fit