Sponsored by:

First day of tinkering with my '70

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
I don't remember seeing holes like that when I redid my pillar WS's. I hate to say it, but you could have some serious rot going on. With the wind shield out though, now's the time to fix it.
Holes? Are you referring to photos 2, 3, and 5? My 70 has exactly the same configuration. Don't know what the purpose for this is. Doesn't appear to be rust related.

The lower part of the windshield pillar looks a bit crusty. Could be just dirt of other debris. Most common place for windshield frame rust to start is the top corners or the header, at the top of the windshield. A place where water and debris settle. Only way to be certain of the condition of the windshield frame is to remove the windshield and clean all surfaces. Look for obvious holes in the frame or pinholes.

Another area to check is just below the bottom corners of the windshield, just under the hood surround. Water collects here and sometimes rusts through. Looks like the factory caulk is still in place.

Probably a good idea to remove some of the dash to have a look. Check the #2 mounts behind the kick panels, another common rust area.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
The area where the fender and cowl were joined was very sloppy when finished at St.Louis.
I believe however that a bit more work was done on your a-pillars since.
Here's a picture with some of the 'glop' cleaned off but the original fiberglass, bond, (and hole), in place.
Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: First day of tinkering with my '70